Show us your favorite knife?

I wanted to create a thread so everyone could show off their favorite knife and tell us why you like it so much. I would like to point out that my intention for this thread is for "user" knives, not safe queens or heirlooms (even though one of them might be your favorite ;) ). My idea behind this thread is to give forum users a quick and easy method of searching what some of the other members really like and use instead of searching through pages of threads.

My favorite knife is one I bought earlier this year. It is my Chris Reeve Professional Soldier. Just to rehash from my earlier review on this knife, the Professional Soldier was a collaboration with famed knife designer Bill Harsey at the behest of owners of Professional Soldiers ® - Home (a forum for active and retired SF). Bill Harsey has collaborated with Chris Reeve on several other knives, such as the Neil Robert's Warrior Knife, the Pacific knife, and the famous Yarborough (Green Beret) knife, which is presented to each graduate of the Army's Special Forces Qualifications Course.

The Professional Soldier is made from S35VN stainless with a hardness of 55 - 57 RC. The dimensions are as follows:

overall length: 7.5"

blade length: 3.375"

blade thickness: full tang 0.165".

The knife is coated with KG Gun-Kote, and has a cutaway that can accomodate up to a 5/8th inch shackle. I doubt I will ever use the cutaway for loosening or tightening shackles, but it is just the right size to perform some dental work on an individual by prying out teeth. Just kidding. :)

The knife also comes with a Kydex sheath manufactured by Blade Tech holsters, knives and tactical gear for military, law enforcement, shooting competition and hunting..

My original intention for this knife was to utilize as neck knife. While the knife isn't necessarily heavy (85 grams), the extra weight of the sheath and chain make it a little much to carry around your neck all day. To find a more suitable use for the knife, I took a spare piece of Tek-Lok and fastened it to the sheath using cable ties, which I feel is better in this case than using Chicago screws.

The price of the Professional Soldier may be a sticking point for some as it costs around $200. However, it is a Chris Reeve knife, so you are getting a knife that is built to last, and Chris Reeve Knives has impeccable customer service. For those of you who like to "buy American," this knife is made in Idaho.

I chose this knife as my favorite for the following reasons:

1. it is extremely well built

2. it is incredibly sharp (razor blade sharp)

3. it has excellent balance

4. it is less than 4", so I can legally carry it

5. it isn't terribly expensive

6. and I really like the grip. It is not coming out of my hands.

Here is a pic of my Professional Soldier with the modified sheath.

img2011100900117.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So, if you want to particpiate by showing and telling us about your favorite, then post up. Just to reiterate, this thread wasn't designed for you to post your most expensive knife, a family heirloom, or one that has deep sentimental value. It is for knives that you have no problem using everyday, and wouldn't become suicidal or go postal if you lost it. I look foward to seeing what you guys really like. Thanks.

Wow to just pick one, I have a lot of favorites but all around I like a folding pocket knife. if I was to honestly have to give up all of them but one knife regardless of value, I would keep my Large Sebenza 21. It is the perfect size for a carry knife the Blade is perfect for a utility knife. There is just something about it that makes it perfect. It opens quickly without spring assist, mine has double thumb lugs. This S35V blade holds an edge better than any knife I own.

I have owned several knives and the Sebenza is the most balanced of all of them, it feels better in my hand and cuts with ease. I honestly think this is the perfect all around carry pocket knife

Also as Mav has already said Chris Reeve has spectacular customer service. I have another one on order with the Insingo blade I think that will actually improve its value to me as a carry knife

IMG_1817.jpg

Edited by willis68

As someone who has been only recently bitten by the knife bug, I haven't allowed myself to get into the more expensive stuff, so my collection is pretty modest right now. My current favorite is a Kershaw Half-Ton, but am looking hard at the Baby Boa as my next purchase.

I haven't allowed myself to get into the more expensive stuff, so my collection is pretty modest right now.

That is not a problem. As I said earlier, this thread isn't about who has the most expensive toys. If someone posts a $10k platinum handled damascus custom job as their favorite knife, that may indeed be their favorite knife. However, I would be willing to bet money that that knife has never nor will ever see any usage. This thread is about telling us what is your favorite knife that you will actually use.

I know one person in particular on this forum has several less expensive foreign-made knives in his collection, and if one of those are his favorite then he should post it. I have always believed that everyone should have a good (not necessarily expensive) knife. Perhaps those who might be in the market for a knife will view this thread and get some ideas as to what people like to use.

My favorite knife is my Becker Companion. Big enough to baton wood with, but small enough to do most any camp chore.

bk2.jpg

Blade Type :Drop Point(don't know why the smiley is appearing, shows as a D in my edit window)

Blade Length :5 1/2"

Length :10 1/2"

Steel :1095 Carbon

Handle Material :Grivory

Weight :1.0 lb.

Sheath :Glass Filled Nylon

Edge Type :Plain

I'd find it impossible to narrow down to one favorite knife. I carry my ZT-0350 every day and it sees more work than any other knife I own. However, my favorite folder is my Chris Reeve large Sebenza. It was the "Lisa's Pick" from December 2010 and was a Christmas gift from my wife. I admit to having never carried or used it, but the fact that my wife knew me and my tastes well enough to pick this out for me makes it my favorite.

P1000185.jpg

My favorite fixed blade is my Busse SAR-3. 7 3/4" overall- 3 1/4" blade. It's small enough to carry easily while still being beefy enough to do most anything I need it to. I carry it in a Dwayne Puckett drop sheath or a Don Ward OWB style pancake sheath.

P1000178.jpg

P1000180.jpg

P1000182.jpg

My favorite knife is my EDC. It's a Svord Peasant that I picked up back in February. The Peasant is a friction folder with black plastic scales. Being a friction folder it can be opened one handed. The blade is Swedish L6. Now I'm not really sure what that means. Seems to be a lot like 1095. It's getting a nice patina on it with a lot of use and carry. When I got it, the first thing I did was finish convexing the edge. It was partially convexed already. It was decently sharp when I got it, but now it's wicked sharp and really holds and great edge! So far, I done some light battoning with it, some carving with it, lots of cutting. Anything from food prep to opening cardboard boxes. It's not let me down yet. It fits very nicely in my right front pocket.

Oh, one last thing, it cost me $16 shipped via Ebay. I love a good deal!

GEDC0199.jpg

Edited by Moped
Guest lostpass

The quick and easy answer for me is the Kershaw Scallion. It's cheap enough to lose (lost one at Disney World, don't realize they weren't allowed) big enough to do most jobs and small enough not freak people out when you have to use it.

Let me expound on the freak people out thing. Every freaking day people who pout steak knives and butcher knives to make and eat dinner. My kid uses a nine inch Chicago cutlery knife to chop carrots. If I was going to get in a knife fight or murder someone with a knife I'd go with with the 9 inch chicago cutlery butcher knife every time So everyone is used to a big ole knife.

That said, when you pull out a smith and wesson special ops tanto point hand me down knife at a cub scout camp out everyone goes a little pale. Why do need a knife that big? asks the guy with the 9 inch filet knife on his belt. I freaking didn't need a knife that big, it just happened to be the knife I had at the time. I chalked it up to the knife's tactical looks. Face it Smith and WEsson knives don't have much else going for them.

So I started to get a little into knives (big mistake). I picked up what I thought would be a friendlier Kershaw Blur. Silver blade, decent knife and not expensive. I'm thinking I;m golden but I pulled that thing out and "Why so big?"

My inclination was to say "If I'm ever forced to copulate with you with your wife I'll need the long blade to hack my penis off because I'm hung like Mr. Ed" but I didn't say anything. Cause it took me like three days to come up with that retort.

For some unimaginable reason big folders freak people out. Maybe if I had a buck knife or something it wouldn't be a problem. I started rocking the scallion and people stopped caring. I'm pretty sure, though I haven't tested the theory, that a scallion could really screw someone up so that it what I usually carry.

On the other hand, I'm not quite willing to hide my knives all the time. Sometimes I want the hassle or I want a bigger knife. So I've got other knives, the ZT 300 or 350 that I carry on occasion. The cool thing about either of the ZTs is that they make people jealous. There is enough quality there that people don't think I'm going to go all stabby on folks but some folks still imagine them as folded death. Folks, I've got better ways to kill you.

So my all time winner, because it doesn't hurt to lose, because it doesn't freak people out, because it is a very useful knife and because I can open it one handed is the kershaw scallion.

Second from the bottom:

ivHv6.jpg

I'd find it impossible to narrow down to one favorite knife. I carry my ZT-0350 every day and it sees more work than any other knife I own. However, my favorite folder is my Chris Reeve large Sebenza. It was the "Lisa's Pick" from December 2010 and was a Christmas gift from my wife. I admit to having never carried or used it, but the fact that my wife knew me and my tastes well enough to pick this out for me makes it my favorite.

P1000185.jpg

My favorite fixed blade is my Busse SAR-3. 7 3/4" overall- 3 1/4" blade. It's small enough to carry easily while still being beefy enough to do most anything I need it to. I carry it in a Dwayne Puckett drop sheath or a Don Ward OWB style pancake sheath.

P1000178.jpg

P1000180.jpg

P1000182.jpg

That Sebi is very Nice Fred, your wife has great taste! you should get yourself an Insingo as a user knife that is not so handsome,

Very nice Sebe you have there. I will have one as soon as I can find a really good deal on one, although it won't be as nice as the one you have.

Oh well... I guess the thread really didn't work. It sometimes seems that knives on the forum are about as popular as a case of VD. :rolleyes:

My favorite knife that sees the most use (by far) is my Camillus Hunter. Has cut everything from game to trees to being used as a camp steak knife, and cutting up fire starting stuff. Absolutely love this knife as a do all. (My Gerber LMF is a close second)

IMG00174-20111013-1922.jpg

(sorry for the crappy cell pic)

Of course, my very favorite knife is a Buck 110 that sees no more action than me pulling it out and reminiscing about my childhood (first BIG "grown up" knife - present from my now deceased grandmother)

I'd have to say these two as far as practical knives go. The Gerber I carry everyday and have really enjoyed it. I like the CS Recon better but it's a little large for most days. I'd sure like to have one of those ZT 300/350's though.

06102010095.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

At this juncture I would have to say my EDC, Spyderco Native. Lock back, CPMS30V stays sharp. Very light yet strong enough for most daily tasks.

P4050002.jpg

Also shown a very inexpensive Morakniv (Swedish) fixed blade a great value for about $15.

P1010007.jpg

EDC

P4050006.jpg

P4050008.jpg

Mora knives are one of the best deals on the market! Dirt cheap, sharp as hell, and a great all around bush knife! I have a No. 1, a 780 Triflex and a thrown away 511 that got resurrected by a friend in Norway. He found it in a trash pile re-profiled it and then sent it too me along with a brand new 511 that my son has.

• Like 1

For some reason unbeknownst to me, I am not allowed to post pictures or downloads so I put a couple of views of my favorite knife as my avatar. It's a custom built knife and sheath with stag horn handle. (Just in case you have trouble making it out.) Not sure about the blade blank, but I know it's hard tempered S.O.B. and takes forever to put an edge on - good thing it also holds an edge forever! :grouchy:

• 3 months later...

After carrying my new Hinderer for a while, it has become my new favorite knife. While I still love my CR Professional Soldier, the XM-24 has become my favorite. The thing is just a tank. Here is my XM-24 with my favorite handguns.

img2012022500704.jpg

img2012022500715.jpg

When I received my Steel Flame accessories, they had some really bad heat marks, which was quite surprising. I would have expected a little more polish to them. However, the problem was easily remedied with a little bit of polish and a Dremel tool.