Rep Curry Todd Arrested DUI and possession of handgun while under the influence

Guest db99wj

I can't believe they only take the gun permit away for 3 years... that's weak.

Actually, he's not facing that for being stopped in car. That's only for drinking in an establishment open to the public while carrying. Actually, must be deemed "under the influence" therein, not just drinking there.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did not take the breath test. When you deny it, isn't that an automatic admission?

Remember: This is the police dept that had several Titans players "dead to rights" on DUI, and nothing held up in court, due to not following procedure. Wonder if a "lack of procedure" will up end this, too...

You talking about McNair? The Judge dismissed charges against McNair after he viewed a dash cam video and said he didn’t think McNair was weaving enough to be pulled over. The DA refused to appeal.

This was all after McNair blew a .16 BAC and went on TV and admitted he was drunk. It was “lack of procedure†all right, but the “procedure†was in the courtroom; not the street. I doubt this guy has the kind of political power of the money to make that kind of ruling happen.

Guest TresOsos

I just got through watching Channel 5's segment on this, Adam dread was so happy he was about to bust a gut....down right gloating.

I agree with BryanP, if you're going to drink leave your gun at home, better yet just resign yourself to drinking in the safety of your own home.

This is not going to help HCP holder any.

Eh. Not good but I do not see how it in any way validates the anti-carry position. The moron got stopped for driving at 60 mph in a 40 mph zone and not for anything that happened with his gun, which was not even on his person but in the car he was driving. Crucify him for endangering lives with a car but not with a firearm. If anything it shows alcohol does not necessarily cause one to be a danger with firearms.

If anything it shows alcohol does not necessarily cause one to be a danger with firearms.

No, the fact that a drunk didn’t shoot someone doesn’t show that at all.

All it shows is that an HCP holder and state legislator had no more respect for the law than any other criminal.

What do you expect from a politician in the liquor industry's pocket? Bought and paid for to the tune of $12,000 in contributions in two years. A great person to have sponsoring firearms legislation.

Gerald McCormick is already trying to downplay the arrest and cover for Todd. It will be interesting to see what Beth Harwell does with this clown.

I just got through watching Channel 5's segment on this, Adam dread was so happy he was about to bust a gut....down right gloating.

I agree with BryanP, if you're going to drink leave your gun at home, better yet just resign yourself to drinking in the safety of your own home.

This is not going to help HCP holder any.

No. What he said was if you are going to drink put your gun in the safe. So even if drinking at home you should not be able to use it to defend yourself. I will concede that in public but not at my castle.

1) I do not throw stones.

2) How many of you keep a loaded gun in the car, go to a bar and have only 2 beers, watch a football game with friends and then drive home without first unloading your gun and locking it up in your trunk.

3) How many of you have ever disagreed with the testimony of a cop before a Judge?

4) How many of you trust the accuracy of a field sobriety test?

I am not saying that the alleged activity was acceptable but lets give him his day in court. In the meantime the "guns in bars" law is still a good law for TN.

I’m not aware of any law that keeps you from getting drunk and having access to a gun in your own home. (Other than maybe reckless conduct or reckless endangerment if someone got hurt.)

But if you use it and are intoxicated; that could certainly be a factor in decisions about your fate.

Guest TresOsos

Mike I understand what BryanP said, my point is if you have commited to carrying a firearm, maybe you should just give up drinking alcohol in public all together, I know that I have. And if you are going to drink then do it at home.

Personal I don't care how or when you secure your weapons at home, tis your business.

1) I do not throw stones.

2) How many of you keep a loaded gun in the car, go to a bar and have only 2 beers, watch a football game with friends and then drive home without first unloading your gun and locking it up in your trunk.

3) How many of you have ever disagreed with the testimony of a cop before a Judge?

4) How many of you trust the accuracy of a field sobriety test?

I am not saying that the alleged activity was acceptable but lets give him his day in court. In the meantime the "guns in bars" law is still a good law for TN.

Very true, however, with his position, his "fighting" for gun rights in this state, his advocacy for carrying in places that serve, etc, this incident, whether he is convicted or not, will hurt or at a minimum hamper future pro carry arguments and have eliminated his credibility in our cause.

So just a curious question. Let's say I am carrying and I am at a bar and I decide to drink. What if I go to the car, unload the gun, lock it in the glove box, and put the ammo in the trunk. Am I ok or is this still against the law? I do not have my HCP yet and I would not put myself in this situation.

So just a curious question. Let's say I am carrying and I am at a bar and I decide to drink. What if I go to the car, unload the gun, lock it in the glove box, and put the ammo in the trunk. Am I ok or is this still against the law? I do not have my HCP yet and I would not put myself in this situation.

To my understanding, you are not carrying at this point but transporting. You should be safe. For the gun anyway.

I’m not aware of any law that keeps you from getting drunk and having access to a gun in your own home. (Other than maybe reckless conduct or reckless endangerment if someone got hurt.)

But if you use it and are intoxicated; that could certainly be a factor in decisions about your fate.

There is actually an old AG opinion 98-151 that says being in your home is not a defense to 39-17-1321...

98-151

Hmm. With the McNair thing, if memory is correct, the arresting officer asked him multiple times to take the breath test. Apparently, the arresting officer is supposed to ask once, and only once.

There are a lot of ways to throw this out. As you said, McNair did not exhibit a reason to be pulled over.

Lets see where this goes.

While I'm sure Rep. Todd regrets his behavior, my concern is how this mistake will affect future laws in TN and other states. Atleast he wasn't charged with carrying a weapon, while under the influence, in a bar. One :tinfoil: ruins the punch!

Guest TresOsos

First ls3 I'm not picking on you just you brought this up,

An individual makes a conscious choice to take a class,pay the fees, do the paperwork and background check to get a HCP. So he/she has made consciuos and serious decision to take the responsibility of carring a firearm for personal defense and security. And the lure of a couple beers with dinner or at a bar watching a ball game is worth disarming for?

Todd resigns as chairman of House firearms panel - Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Todd resigns as chairman of House firearms panel

Posted: Oct 13, 2011 11:41 AM CDT Updated: Oct 13, 2011 3:48 PM CDT

15686901_BG1.JPG Curry Todd's mugshot after his arrest. (Source: Davidson County)

Also on WMCTV.COM

NASHVILLE, TN - (AP) - Rep. Curry Todd has resigned as chairman of a Republican firearms task force in the state House following his arrest on drunken driving and gun charges.

House Majority Leader Gerald McCormick said Thursday that he accepted the resignation because Todd "has other things to concentrate on."

McCormick, a Chattanooga Republican, said he will also decide this weekend whether to do away with the firearms panel altogether.

Todd, a retired Memphis police office, was arrested in Nashville Tuesday night after failing a roadside sobriety test and refusing to take a breath test. A loaded .38-caliber gun was found in a holster stuffed between the driver's seat and center console.

Republican Senate Speaker Ron Ramsey of Blountville told reporters he wants to ensure that "no favoritism is paid" in Todd's case.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Edited by Fallguy
To remove non-story material
Mike I understand what BryanP said, my point is if you have commited to carrying a firearm, maybe you should just give up drinking alcohol in public all together, I know that I have. And if you are going to drink then do it at home.

Personal I don't care how or when you secure your weapons at home, tis your business.

Absolutely agree with you. If you wanna drink in public you give up being able to use a gun. At home no