Self Defense Ammo

Guest Darbley77

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest recoveryman1

im gonna defend these guys a little bit i carry the exteme shock air marshell rounds in my .45 and while they are not as majic as they say. they do have there place in some situations they are not for everybody but i have a specific reason for them. for what they do they are the only game around if you do decide to carry any of the speicalty ammo think about your use and reason for useing it then test it yourself with your gun to see if it will do what you want because i can promis the companys are going to hype it up a bit

Guest GLOCKGUY

here you go extreme shock in action. to me they both do the same damages. the only deference is one is $25.00 for 6 and one is $25.00 for 50

[ame]

[/ame]
Guest darkstar

I like the Speer Gold Dots myself. From stuff I have read and seen ( nothing 100% scientific...just lot of different defensive loads in several calibers shot into water ) the Gold Dots seem to have the best uniform expansion and expanded to the greatest size. Just my opinion but with all the advances made in the last few years I think that any good quality defensive load will do the job, some maybe a bit better than others. Of course good shot placement will make any round better.

Guest recoveryman1

sure check out the box of truth on the air marshell rounds, they actully lose a little more if fired through a standard wall with insulation and if you hit a stud it pretty much stops but it will still work on live threats now for my reason, everybody pretty much knows what i do for a livin and one of my worst fears is havin to use my firearm in a entry type situation and missing the threat and the round going through a wall, injuring someone in the next room, apt. building and so on. so any round that works on a soft target but "stops on a hard is worth taking a look at for me" on the other end i also carry one clip with winchester ranger 230 grain or golden sabers for "hard targets" i just hope none of us ever have to worry bout any of this

I would never carry Hydra-shoks or ninja rounds.Hydra-Shoks should have faded out with the mullet and the ninja stuff just does not perform well.IMO a round that will not go through a wall wont stop a BG.

I use these: http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php?pName=50rds-9mm-speer-le-gold-dot-124gr-p-hp-ammo&cName=9mm-hollow-point-ammo or http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php?pName=50rds-9mm-federal-le-tactical-hst-124gr-p-hp-ammo&cName=9mm-hollow-point-ammo

here you go extreme shock in action. to me they both do the same damages. the only deference is one is $25.00 for 6 and one is $25.00 for 50

I think I need to keep some around in case I'm attacked by a watermelon.

More seriously, a watermelon is not a good substitute for human skin, bone, flesh and fat. So it doesnt look like much of a test (although it was fun to watch). And at the prices they want for it I would be loath to put the necessary 2-3 magazines minimum through my gun to test feeding and performance.

The Glaser Safety Slugs were developed for pretty much the same thing, shooting people in projects. They had a nasty tendency to fragment (that's what they were designed to do) and fail to penetrate adequately.

Pre-frag rounds are a tradeoff of penetration in favor of rapid energy dump, in hopes of stunning the target into incapacitation...

The problem is that the one of the (if not the) most important part of the terminal characteristics of a round is well noted to be penetration; without sufficient penetration the other wounding factors, such as energy, carried by the projectile will not greatly effect deeply located vital organs. The same example could be made of bird-shot vs. buck/slugs through shotguns... shallow wounds are ugly and painful, for sure, but they won't reliably incapacitate anything larger than a bird or rodent.

So, I personally won't carry ammunition which is not loaded to specs which haven't shown to approach or exceed 12" of penetration in ballistic gelatin... it is from this idea that it becomes clear why some calibers aren't sufficiently suitable for carry unless using projectiles with maximize their penetration abilities, such as .32acp and .380acp... which are best served by FMJ ammunition.

Also, I refuse to carry products which use obnoxious or misleading advertisements regarding their 'shock' ability or 'perfection'...

So, that's a double strike for Extreme-Shock.

Guest GLOCKGUY

extreme shock penetration in ballistic gelatin. this video is just 55 second long

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by GLOCKGUY
extreme shock penetration in ballistic gelatin.

Isn't it odd that the owner of Extreme Shock (Mullins Ammunition) reneged on an offer to send me some Extreme Shock Ammunition to test after he found out, in a conversation between us, that I intended to test it in ballistic gelatin? I even offered to do the test at their site. NOPE!

I'm sorry. My mind is made up. This is mindless crap.

It is used by Special Forces, BTW. Confirmed it myself with some buddies at Fort Bragg. They use it because it doesn't do as much damage in training to their metal targets.

But I did ask one of the guys at our East-Tennessee shoot to not fire his one round into the hillside in fear that all the trees would blow up. :taunt:

Oh **** Mars, you know that stuff is BS. The best round that has been introduced is the EFMJ , it actually has some merit, not like this other hyped up crap.