AK Receiver Flat

Guest LiLBucket

Guest LiLBucket

I found a Yugo AK receiver flat with rails at tickbitesupply.com and was wondering about the specifics of it. I know that it's a receiver that would need to be bent which wouldn't be a problem. I work at a place with an industrial fab shop with several size and configuration brakes.

What I'm wondering about is how it becomes an actual firearm. The site states: "Please note that an individual can make their own firearm in the United States as long as they do not sell or distribute it." Would I be able to build a complete firing AK kit without having to register any parts as long as I build it with the correct combination of US parts?

I am new to building guns so excuse the ignorance. I have an AR lower on order and will start with that, but I'm sure I'll be itchin to build an AK shortly after!!

Thanks in advance for any help or info!!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj
John, the ak is pretty hard for someone to machine if they haven't tried it before. trust me drewi is right..it can get....difficult.

btw...what does "bump" mean on the forum? I haven't figured it out.

"Bump" means you "bump" the thread to the top so it can be read and seen and not get far down the page or on the next page so that no one sees it.

Guest Greentimber

It will take some time for a first project, but it can be done. My first build was on a flat. It took over 30 hours!!! The next few were MUCH faster.

I now use 100% receivers!

Guest drewi

Greentimber is right. I didn't mean to discourage you from trying this.

My post was meant to caution you, not to talk you out of it.

Building AK's is hard even when you have good tools if you don't have the experience, which unfortunately is only obtainable through building AK's. It takes a while to put them together, even when starting with a receiver that's already formed, welded, mostly machined and heat treated.

Do some research and give it a shot. You may have better luck "outsourcing" the sheetmetal work, machining, welding, and heat treat. Either way you'll have done something a lot of people won't even attempt, including myself. I looked at it and knew I didn't have time to acquire the skills to build a receiver from a piece of flat stock.

Guest LiLBucket

Thanks for all the heads ups and warnings. I've done quite a bit of researching and reading and completely understand what everyone means.

I'm confident that I'm capable though. I most definitely intend to take my time on the first build so as to make sure everything is done correctly. I have access to an industrial fab shop also, so I know I'l be able to bend the flat properly and weld the rails using good equipment. I'm debating a screw, weld, or rivet build though. I'll probably do a screw build on the first one as it seems like the most straight forward.

Like you said drewi, it seems like to only way to gain experience is by trying it out!! I'll be sure to check the headspacing before firing and even then I'll strap it to a saw horse with a string on the trigger to be safe!! LOL

I'll definitely do a thread detailing the build if I ever decide on a particular parts kit. So be looking out for it, it seems like it may be a good topic. I've read a few places where people have build parties. Apparently 6 or 8 guys get together and build a bunch at a time in an assembly line type fashion. Like 32 of them in a day from start to finish!!

Check out this thread. I read the whole thing over a period of a couple of days. It's like a good book, I just couldn't put it "down"!! It's an incredible resource for building an AK with great links also............

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?referrerid=57133&t=327894

Guest LiLBucket

So I just ordered my parts kit!! A Romanian AK-47 model 1975 from sportsmansguide.com.

I called as opposed to ordering online and asked about the bore condition. They assured me that it would be in good to very good condition, so I feel quite comfortable with my purchase thus far.

Can't wait to start "wrenchin" on the "new" gun! I guess the Jeep will have to be put on hold for a bit!!

Just thought I'd share my joy! Carry on!

Guest toy4x4

Did you receive the kit yet? Was woundering what kind of shape it was in. Waiting for copes to get them in stock again so I could order..

Guest LiLBucket

For an update....

Edit: Sorry for the length!!

I got the kit about a week ago as well as the random other parts. The kit was in pretty good shape with a nice bore and only minor wear on the metal. I haven't yet ordered my compliance parts, but I will probably do that this week. I'm still trying to decide on how I want the finish to be (evil black plastic foregrip and pistol grip or traditional wood??).

It's coming along nicely and I hope to have it finished by the weekend. I've got the receiver bent and the FCG (fire control group) mocked up. This is the original FCG, but will eventually be replaced by a double hook trigger and FCG from Tapco.

I am very impressed with the Tapco flat! The lower front trunion holes were the only ones that needed to be egged a bit (they didn't line up just right so my friend Dremel had to help out!!). The rest of the holes are perfect so far and have made the assembly quite straight forward. By the way, I didn't use a fancy scmancy bending jig or a press brake or hand brake for the bending. (I bent it by "hand", shhh) I will go more in detail on this once the rifle is complete as I hope to put together a build thread. I know some of you might be gasping at this thought, but believe it or not, it turned out NICE and was actually quite simple. So stay tuned, more detail on this later!!

I've drilled and tapped the front and rear trunions and am now working on the upper and lower rails. Last nights stopping point was getting the bolt and carrier to slide freely on the top rail and determine the location of the lower rails. Hopefully I can get them welded up tonight or tomorrow. I still need to heat treat the lower rails and the FCG holes, but that'll take no time really.

The only other thing that might be a bit of a headache, or worry me a bit, is the final finish. I'll probably do a baked duracoat or rustoleum finish once it's test fired and approved for service. I've considered having the receiver powder coated at work with a black crinkle finish, maybe the whole gun.....I need to look into that!

Again, stay tuned and look for an AK thread. I know it's been beat to death on the internet, but I think our very own build thread would be neat.

Thanks for the interest and let me know if there are any questions!

Guest LiLBucket

I sure have! I'll be welding up the lower rails today. I may not be able to get in progress pics, but I'll take some afterwards (don't wanna be snappin pics in the weld shop). I mocked it up last night and took some pics on my phone, but they're not good quality and I don't feel like hassling with uploading them right now.

Nonetheless, when I build it, they will come (the pics!!)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest myheartsinTN

Skip the rustoleum. That AK will get hotter than hell. Rustoleum will not hold up. Good Luck

I'll probably do a baked duracoat or rustoleum finish once it's test fired and approved for service. I've considered having the receiver powder coated at work with a black crinkle finish, maybe the whole gun.....I need to look into that!

Guest LiLBucket

Hey, I forgot about this thread!!

I need to do a build thread as I have finished building and firing the AK, but yet to make time to put together said thread.

myheartsinTN: I did in fact do the rustoleum finish. So far it's held up nicely and if it does prove to be no good, it won't be to much trouble to re-do. I used the high temp Rustoleum, like for grills, and baked it at 350 for an hour.

I'll try to take some pis sometime soon and put em up here!!

Guest myheartsinTN

Maybe the baking will help but I don't think its going to hold up. Good luck with the AK and post some pics. They are alot of fun to shoot! Enjoy! :eek:

myheartsinTN: I did in fact do the rustoleum finish. So far it's held up nicely and if it does prove to be no good, it won't be to much trouble to re-do. I used the high temp Rustoleum, like for grills, and baked it at 350 for an hour.