Let's talk flashlights.

My buddy accidentally drove over his mag-lite with a crown vic....still works like a champ.

My father in law works on elevators and he only buys maglites. He has tried out all kinds of lights. The first time they fall 30 stories down the elevator shaft they never work again. He has owned flashlights that range from $30-$300 and the $30 Mini maglite pro has fallen 30 stories several time and still works. He gave all the guys in the family one for Christmas and I find myself using it more than my surefire.

I carry a C3-907 170 lumen single AA light from Greg McGee Engineering. $25 and I have a 10% coupon code around here somewhere that never expires. I also bought a 1,000 lumen MCG33 from Greg. That's an awesome light. Super bright and still relatively small.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still doing 4Sevens lights. Went on a binge a couple of years ago and replaced every light in the house and cars with some Fenix then switched to 4Sevens. Company is out of Atlanta, good customer service and 10 year warranty.

I like the fact that they use Cree emitters and rate their lumens to true ANSI Standards. Most don't and actual side by side output proves it.

http://foursevens.com/products/flashlights/

With the outstanding output of AA and AAA these days I use primarily Sanyo eneloop rechargeable.

I keep my 123As for special occasions like boating.

Edited by DAdams

I carry a C3-907 170 lumen single AA light from Greg McGee Engineering. $25 and I have a 10% coupon code around here somewhere that never expires. I also bought a 1,000 lumen MCG33 from Greg. That's an awesome light. Super bright and still relatively small.

Could you find that coupon code for us? I'd like to order a C3-907 to start with and see how I like it.

I'm sure McGee Engineering and MTE have good products but its difficult to know with the sub par pictorial representations.

Mr. McGee may I make a marketing suggestion? Please get a good camera, tripod and better lighting or hire someone.

I want to see details when I am looking at expensive items. Machining quality, color rendition, reflector detail etc.

Thanks for your consideration.

Edited by DAdams
Guest Lester Weevils

zebralighth51_LRG.jpg

http://goinggear.com...d-headlamp.html

About 1.5 years ago got a couple of zebralight 1 AA 200 lumen headlamps. Posted about them in the thread last november. One for me and one for wife. My old eye needs light and for years use a headlamp for any detail work and walking around outside in the dark. I usually wear out a headlamp, especially the strap and mount after about a year of daily use, and by then the casing, switches and battery holders are well on the way to ruin.

These zebralights have held up great. The one I've been using daily still looks and operates like new. GoingGear sells a lot of zebra models that all look about the same, different color balance and lumen selections. Several that run on 1 AA and several slightly smaller that run on 1 CR123. All with the same simple user interface and operational control.

It is lightweight rugged waterproof (1 meter 30 minutes) and the strap and mounting method is more resistant to wearing out than most headlamps I've used, and I must have wore out at least 10 cheap headlamps by now. Strap is still holding up and the simple rubber mount looks good as new after 1.5 years use, and as long as the company stays in biz it ought to be feasible to buy new straps and mounts. Typical headlamp mounts are hard plastic with little ratchet mechanisms or plastic-friction hinges, which fall apart after enough use. The zebralight rubber ring-mount holds position great, ingenius way to hold a good-adjustable headlamp.

I feed it those black 2500 mah sanyo low self-discharge NIMH rehargeables, kept in good condition with a powerex charger. I change typically 1 battery a day. It will run on high about an hour and run on medium (which is bright enough for most mundane stuff) all day and evening. I change batts when it won't go to high any more. If working all day in the shop its easy to carry a couple of spare batts in the pocket and ultra-easy convenient to change batts.

Have tried to get in the habit of carrying a "combat light" in pocket when out and about, but the 2 CR123 Fenix TK15 ain't huge but doesn't fit the pocket as good as would like. I usually just tote the headlamp in pocket when going out and about. The small strap isn't too bulky in the pocket. Not a "combat light" replacement but plenty good for occasional hand-held use or slip it on the head for headlamp use. The biggest drawback of the little zebralight as a small pocket light-- The button on the end is a little too easy to accidentally turn on jostling for keys or knife in the same pocket. edit-- Well actually accidental turn-on can be avoided by backing off the battery cap a quarter-turn, so its not that big a deal.

They include a pocket clip so it can be used as a pocket light without the strap. They also sell very similar little 1 AA pocket lights with the light in-line rather than at a right angle, and the button on the side. Dunno if that model would be less likely to accidentally turn on. Probably wearing the light with a clip would make it less likely to accidentally turn on, whether using the right-angle headlamp without strap and with a pocket clip, or using the virtually-identical in-line zebralight. Hmmm, as far as that goes, the bullet-proof strap and rubber mount would work just as good with the zebralight in-line tiny flashlights, just wear the light on the side of the head rather than in front. But that would sacrifice some vertical adjustability aiming the beam which might not be useful in practice.

====

GoingGear sells a Spark brand name of headlamp which appear built like a tank. Designed like zebralights on steroids. Brightness up to 500 lumens. They make "single unit" CR123 or rechargeable lithium models (the really bright ones), and also "single unit" models that will run on 2-AA or 3-AAA. The strap and holder design is similar to zebralight. Am phobic about lithium especially rechargeable lithium lights due to slight fire hazard risk.

Was interested in the Spark SD52 model that runs on 2-AA (either 300 lumen cool white or a 280 lumen neutral white version). Delivers 280 lumens neutral light for 1.5 hours, 70 lumens for 7 hours, 12 lumens for 43 hours. But that is a "flood" model without a built-in reflector. They sell a screw-on reflector for that model, but the video demo gives impression that the screw-on reflector still doesn't quite "do the job" for putting a lot of light on a small area. For general outdoor use, a wide bright flood illuminating everything in nearby space is probably great, but when I need lots of light, I need lots of light on whatever small vicinity I'm trying to work on. Walking in the woods at night I like some throw and am well-accustomed to fiddling with the light aim for close or far illumination. But maybe for dedicated backpacking or hunting, a wide flood headlamp supplemented by a conventional flashlight with throw, would be better. Use the flood to see near-distance and also the ground under yer feet without constantly re-aiming the headlight, and then use the flashlight when you need to see farther?

There is also an interesting "dual unit" Spark SX-5 model which appears to have a conventional built-in reflector so it should have conventional flashlight throw with a fairly wide spill circle. The SX-5 delivers 350 lumen cool white or 320 lumen neutral white and has a sealed aluminum battery pack on the back of the strap. Apparently ships with adapters to use either 3-AAA, 3-AA, or 1-26650 lithium rechargeable. Also available an additional battery pack (presumably belt or pack mounted) that will hold either 8 CR123 or 4 18650 rechargeable lithiums. That would be too heavy to hang on yer head.

Using 3-AA, 320 lumen (neutral white) for 2 hours, 170 lumen for 4.2 hours, 55 lumen for 14.5 hours, 8 lumen for 150 hours. Using the optional 4-1850 battery pack, 320 lumen for 11.5 hours, 170 lumen for 25 hours, 55 lumen for 85 hours, 8 lumen for 42 days! Dang!! The SX-5 is only $75, maybe worth a try. The extra battery pack is just $24. Well dang the picture of the battery pack shows it strapped to a hard-hat, but that would be kinda bulky, though a lineman working all night in an ice storm might appreciate it.

====

Think maybe will order a Fenix HP11 headlamp (though maybe that Spark SX-5 would be a better option in the same price ballpark). Fenix HP11 has 277 lumens and 4-AA power supply which would run brighter and definitely all day without a battery change. I've used 4-AA headlamps before and the weight isn't annoying but they are a little big to tote in the pocket, and not real friendly to also wearing a hat or a full face shield (metal work and such). Am guessing (from prior experience with that style of headlamp) that the mount and straps will wear out quicker than the zebralight, but for long tasks it would be good not to have to change batts so frequently, and run on high most of the day if necessary. Maybe the Fenix will be more rugged than run of the mill Coleman or Garrity walmart headlamps anyway,

Edited by Lester Weevils