Need some SBR advice

I have an SBR (LMT 10.5" upper with Stag lower) and I've been contemplating selling it for a couple reasons. 1) Nice to have money for a gun I don't shoot that much *read: never* and 2) I hate the Stag lower. Kinda silly but I hate that stupid deer head on it and shoulda thought more about it when I built it.

What would my options be for selling? Sell upper? Sell whole thing? Like, what is the process, which would be better option, etc.

Another option would be to somehow de-logo the lower. Is this possible without it looking ghetto?

What about having a different lower SBR'd instead? Is it possible to just swap lowers without having to pay for another stamp?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible to just swap lowers without having to pay for another stamp?

No. Making another SBR would require paying another $200.

Maybe you could have someone (who specializes in refinishing) fill in the deer head, and then duracoat the lower. As long as you don't mess with the manufacturer info, or serial number, I don't see a problem with that.

I would probably just live with it. You went through all the trouble of SBR'ing the lower, may as well keep it. I don't know who makes them, but there are some magazine well wrap around grip covers. They are kind of like hogue in the sense that they have finger groves, intended to give you better grip if you hold onto the mag well kind of like a verticle grip. Throwing one of those on would at least hide the stag logo I would think. Might be a cheap solution?

correction- found: 2-MAKMWG - Mako AR-15 Magazine Well Grip Black Converts Magwell Into Ergonomic Grip Lightweight

some quick google search will yield some with it installed on the magwell

As long as you don't mess with the manufacturer info, or serial number, I don't see a problem with that.

He could get rid of the original manufacturer if he wanted. Provided it's on a F1, either he or his trust is the manufacturer. He obviously still needs the SN.......but I don't see why he can't get rid of the deer. I would try asking an NFA lawyer thats on TGO - (Pat Stegall) for a definite answer.

I'm not 100% on that answer, so don't take it to the bank. It's also generally why people SBR "better" lowers. You could sell the lower to anyone, they'll (or you) just have to have it taken off the registry and they'll need to put a 16"+ upper on it

if you really want to get rid of the lower and can not sell as a complete SBR. you can have it removed from the BATF list after the upper is gone. it just takes a letter from you stating that you no longer have the upper, what happened to it, exsample sold to John Doe 123 hill top lane, anyway, TN 98765. and that you what removed from SBR statues. it took mine around 9 months. about 3x longer than to make it into a SBR.

no you do not get your $200 back. but if you claim that 200 the year it was paid as federal taxes paid you come out even.

Comsidering the money and time you have in it why not just disassemble it and put it away. No one is going to buy an SBR with your name on it. If they are wanting to SBR a lower they will put their own information on it.

Lowers can be bought for under $100 now.

Another thing to consider is whether you can actually sell a SBR that you made.

Dolomite