G19 vs G27 for CCW

I have a 19 that I have been carrying for some time. A friend of mine has a 27 he wants to sell. I am considering buying the 27 as my carry gun. I am not sure if it would that big of a difference regarding comfort and concealment. Any real world experience would be great. As much as I would like a another Glock, I don't need to be spending any more money these days. Thanks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a G19 and a G26. The biggest advantaoge to the 26 for carry is that it's possible to pocket carry with the right pants and a kydex pocket holster. I carry that way a lot in the summer, but this time of year my 26 is taking a rest for a while. BTW, sitnce I don't use a grip extension, I prefer the 26 to the 27.

Guest Victor9er

I have a G19 for carry, and when I first bought it I was trying to decide between it and the G26. I settled on the G19 for several reasons, but in terms of being able to conceal it my thoughts are this...

If you're going to use a grip extension (which most people tend to do) on the shorter sub-compact models then you're rendering the whole advantage of having a sub-compact useless. Because by the time you add the extension to the handle you've now made the length of the handle the same as the compact, and that's the part that you need to conceal the most right? It's what's going to be sticking out of your holster.

So if you don't use an extension then it will be easier to conceal, but if you add the extension then the handle length basically becomes the same as the G19, the width is already the same, so the only thing that ends up being shorter is the barrel.

Also, keep in mind you'll be losing quite a bit of firepower. You'll be gaining a more powerful round in the .40 caliber, but you'll drop from having 15+1 capacity to only 9+1.

I bought a 26 first thinking that its small size would make it the perfect CCW. I never really saw the need for a 19 since as I had a 17 as well.

I found a really good deal on a 19 so I bought it and have since sold my 26 and purchased another 19. I shoot the 19 much better and to me the very slight CC edge that a 26/27 has over the 19 does not justify owning one.

One more thing to think about is that you would be supporting another caliber... .40 isn't cheap.

Edited by BrasilNuts

Twist my arm... Looks like another addition to the family. You guys are a bad influence that's why I love this site. If the night sights are a little dim can I recharge them or do I have to replace them? I noticed my 19's sights are dim too.

Edited by M6HTZ
Guest msparks

I've got a 26 that I carry most of the time. Most times I carry with a +2 baseplate, but on some occasions I've put the stock 10 rounder in. As my backup magazine I carry a 19 mag.

Anyhow, there are more options with the smaller gun without any downside potential. The marginally longer barrel doesn't affect accuracy within combat distances for me.

I like the idea of pocket carry in the summer that is a nice option.

I love it. It won't work in every pair of pants, but my experience is that people don't pay much attention to a bulge in your pocket. With the right holster, it is square enough to look like a wallet or a phone.

Edit: This is one application where I'd definitely recommend Kydex over leather. I have one of these: www.lefthandholster.com in OD to match my OD green 26.

Edited by JReedEsq
Thanks that's what I'll do then. What is the life expectancy of night sights?

I have seen them have a usable life ~10 years. Depends on how much tritium was in them to start and what is usable to your eyes. The longer they sat on a shelf the less usable life they'll have for you the end user.

Tritium has a half life of 12 years, so it should be at least that before they are too dim to use.

I had a 27, traded it in for a 19, couldn't be happier. I am 5'11 and 150, and I can conceal it well IWB.

The difference between 9mm, .40, and .45ACP in hollowpoints is marginal at best. Don't let caliber decide which handgun you choose.