G19 vs G27 for CCW

I have carried both a 19 and a 27 quite a bit. IMO, the 27 is easier to conceal. Yes, if you add a mag extension to the 27, it makes it the same length as the 19 ON THE FRONT OF THE GRIP ONLY. The back of the grip is shorter, and the back of the grip is what prints (if we are talking about IWB/hip holsters). Think of a 27 w/Pierce +1 mag extension as a bobtail 19. The link below has a pic of both that I posted some time back:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/34680-g26-vs-g19-concealed-carry-any-difference.html

I don't know how big some of these guys are or how they dress, but I'm 5'10/190 and a G27 in my pants pocket would be an absolute no-go. YMMV.

Edited by deerslayer
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up the 27. The night sights seem to work well. I tried to pocket carry, not really working. I ordered a IWB holster should be here next week. The Galco King Tuk will be tested with a 19, 22 and a 27......

Guest VTCessnaPilot

You can make a 27 bigger, but you can't make a 19 smaller...

It's nice to have more options, I suppose. I love carrying my 27, especially since I found these grip enhancers that don't add any extra length. You get much better control and grip feel, but not the same bulk as with a Pearce extension

G A P H O M E

Guest bkelm18
LOL ... Pocket carrying a G27!?!?! LOL

Maybe if you wore super baggy pants and didn't care about printing. If you want a pocket .40, look at a kahr pm40.

I've found that pocket carrying a baby Glock really isn't that much different than pocket carrying a snubby. It's in your pocket. Printing really doesn't matter.

I've found that pocket carrying a baby Glock really isn't that much different than pocket carrying a snubby. It's in your pocket. Printing really doesn't matter.

Absolutely; with a kydex holster, it is square enough to like like a wallet or an IPhone in an otterbox. People might might wonder about a lump under your shirt at 3:30 but not think twice about you having something in your pocket.

Edited by JReedEsq

It's nice to have more options, I suppose. I love carrying my 27, especially since I found these grip enhancers that don't add any extra length. You get much better control and grip feel, but not the same bulk as with a Pearce extension

G A P H O M E

Thanks I will take a look at these. I see you're a VT fan, me too. I'm a little concerned about the VA game. Hopefully the good Hokies show up.

You can shoot hotter loads in the G19. I have shot +P+ with zero issues in a G19, whereas the G26 stovepiped a lot. My carry round is the same +P+. Target ammo is less expensive in 9mm; good quality SD ammo is perhaps a bit less expensive in 9mm. I've recently consolidated calibers and don't want to buy another caliber any time soon.

Bottom line: The size difference is minimal, the capacity difference is huge. Go for a G19.

Guest kirkosaurus
I have a G19 for carry, and when I first bought it I was trying to decide between it and the G26. I settled on the G19 for several reasons, but in terms of being able to conceal it my thoughts are this...

If you're going to use a grip extension (which most people tend to do) on the shorter sub-compact models then you're rendering the whole advantage of having a sub-compact useless. Because by the time you add the extension to the handle you've now made the length of the handle the same as the compact, and that's the part that you need to conceal the most right? It's what's going to be sticking out of your holster.

So if you don't use an extension then it will be easier to conceal, but if you add the extension then the handle length basically becomes the same as the G19, the width is already the same, so the only thing that ends up being shorter is the barrel.

I had the same decision to make and went with the G26. I have a mag extension that I use with a G19 15 round mag and essentially have the grip of a G19 when I don't need to conceal and the G26 standard mags when I do want to conceal.

I've never shot a G19 but the G26 is so accurate I can't see needing the longer barrel in a self defense situation.

You can shoot hotter loads in the G19. I have shot +P+ with zero issues in a G19, whereas the G26 stovepiped a lot. My carry round is the same +P+. Target ammo is less expensive in 9mm; good quality SD ammo is perhaps a bit less expensive in 9mm. I've recently consolidated calibers and don't want to buy another caliber any time soon.

Bottom line: The size difference is minimal, the capacity difference is huge. Go for a G19.

I use the +P+ in my G26 and have never had an issue. It seems this thing eats whatever I feed it no problem. Almost 1,000 rounds so far and never even one hiccup. :)

Edited by kirkosaurus

G A P H O M E

Thanks for the tip!

I just got two of these for my G26 and love them.

The G26 is "smaller enough" for me than a 19.

My other Glock is a 17