.22 suppressor ammo?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried every conceivable subsonic ammo out there.

The most reliable, consistent and available I have found is the Winchester Subsonic HP's. The Winchester Subsonics tend to be the cheapest as well. I can find them for $3.50 a box of 50. They stay subsonic in everythig from a 4" barrel to a 22" barrel. They are also very accurate out of every gun I have shot them in. They also have a very large HP which mushrooms out to well over .35" out of a pistol. They are also very quiet.

Remington subsonics have consistency issues that lead to accuracy issues. They also don't seal the chamber well and will give you a chamber "pop" when firing from time to time. They aren't as quiet as the Winchesters either.

CCI's are good as well but they have a higher driving band on the bullet so they have reliability issues with match chambered semi autos. For sporter chambered semi autos or bolt guns the CCI's are fine. They are as accurate as the Winchesters in sporter chambered guns and are almost as quiet. They tend to be a bit more at around $8 per 100.

If it is for use in a barrel 16" and under another good one is Winchester Dynapoints. They are as accurate as the Winchester Subsonic HP's. In barrels that are 18+ inches long they will go supersonic. They cost about $30 per 500 so they are cheaper than most but you do have to be aware of barrel length.

If it is for pistol only with a 4" barrel or shorter I like Federal Automatch. They cycle really well and are almost as quiet as most of the truly subsonic rounds. They also have their velocity right at the speed of sound while most subsonics loadings are a hundred+ FPS less.

Not all subsonics are created the same. Just because it is a subsonic round doesn't mean it is as quiet as any other subsonic round. In rifles the difference isn't as noticeable as in a pistol. And with that being said each suppressor is different in what it likes too. Some suppressors do well on a rifle and are miserable on a pistol while others are just the opposite. I researched long and hard to find a suppressor I liked but in the end I built my own.

Dolomite

• Admin Team

RWS subsonics are the best, most accurate that I've found. They're lubed, and very quiet. CCIs are good. I don't really have any major complaints with the Remington's except that they're not quite as accurate or quiet.

CBs and shorts are both super quiet, and shorts have more punch than you'd expect. Neither will cycle the action in a rifle.

Guest 556or762

Again Dolomite has the answers, I too have tried all types of subsonic .22 thru several guns most of mine prefer the CCI 40gn subsonic to the 36gn or the winchester however the difference between the Winchester and CCI can only be seen prone from a bi-pod at 200yds thru my Savage MarkII TR

• 4 weeks later...