1939 Izhevsk Mosin Nagant

Guest edc

I recently bought this rifle at a gun show.

It appears to be in excellent shape and shoots great. I'm very happy that I got one. Now I understand why I see so many threads about these guns.

mosin1.jpg

mosin2.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coldblackwind

Good rifles, check out 7.62X54r.net and you can find out what all the marks mean. I have a stack of those things, 91/30 hex, m44, m38, finnish m39, and a double dated, MO marked 91/30 ex-sniper. Fun cheap guns to mess around with.

I just ordered a 91/30 hex today. And some surplus 1970's ammo. Can't wait to get it.

Here's my question: They only sent "can openers" with 2 or more cans of ammo. What's the best way to open the can other than that? I saw somewhere that someone said you can use the simple knife-blade style but it would leave sharp edges. They suggested using a cut-off wheel on a dremel carefully (?)

Guest HCRoadie
I just ordered a 91/30 hex today. And some surplus 1970's ammo. Can't wait to get it.

Here's my question: They only sent "can openers" with 2 or more cans of ammo. What's the best way to open the can other than that? I saw somewhere that someone said you can use the simple knife-blade style but it would leave sharp edges. They suggested using a cut-off wheel on a dremel carefully (?)

If you ask nice, someone on this forum might send/lend you a proper can opener...:up:

Luckily I bought a can at the gun show also and the people gave me the can opener AND the crate.. hah I feel bad for the guy that comes along and buys the next can and is put in the same situation as you.

Are you located near Memphis? You can borrow mine.. hah

Guest Aces&8s

Nice score! I have a '39 Tula, and I love shooting it. I actually picked up some soft point ammo for it, think I might try for a deer with it this year (or my K31, which is another great old rifle).

Are you located near Memphis? You can borrow mine.. hah

Thanks very much, for the offer. However I am in Jackson and also in Murfreesboro regularly. Now the vendor of the rifle/ammo answered my email asking about this and they suggested using a dremel. I guess if I can't find a can opener I'll get out the dremel!

I have a '43 and love it! It is a beast to shoot, and I've gotten much better at working the bolt. I could not imagine being in the Soviet Army, facing down the Nazis in the bitter Russian winter and having to fight with this heavy, bolt action gun that loads from a stripper clip from the top! Nor could I imagine being on the receiving end of this beast either! My 9 year old daughter shoots this gun and she loves it. I have the bayonet for mine as well. Fun stuff!

Hammer and screw driver work fine. All you gotta open is a corner. The packs the rounds are in a small and it is easy enough to get them out.

Garufa had a good suggestionf for reuse. I would suggest use the empty tin as your first target.