Memphis Papa Johns Pizza Delivery Driver Shoots Would Be Robber

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest msparks

Too bad the guy will get fired now that he has violated company policy, something I would gladly trade for my own personal protection. Plenty of other delivery jobs out there.

Way to go armed citizen.

Guest Sgt. Joe
Too bad the guy will get fired now that he has violated company policy, something I would gladly trade for my own personal protection. Plenty of other delivery jobs out there.

Way to go armed citizen.

I fully agree with those thoughts and I simply dont understand these companies who would rather their employees be injured than to protect themselves.:up:

I ordered the kids some Dominoes about a week ago and for the first time ever the driver was OC'ing an SR9! I was really surprised to see that and asked him if it was indeed an SR9 which it was. It was after he left that I wished that I had asked if the company had a new policy as I always thought that Dominoes did not allow their drivers to carry either.

I am guessing that they must or this individual is really risking his job big time by OC'ing as that could scare any customer that he may deliver to and they may would call in about him, stupid I know but we know that some folks are just that way. I really wish that I had talked to him more when I had the chance.

At any rate Kudos to this driver.;) I guess those who say that we can not out draw a drawn gun are sometimes wrong. Then again maybe the thug did not even have any rounds in his gun to begin with, thugs are not known for being the smartest folks on the planet.

Guest JeremyD901

It was in the hickory hill area. So that should narrow your search down. This happens all the time in Memphis

I almost feel they should be required to carry out here. This city is a thugs Paradise!

It was in the hickory hill area. So that should narrow your search down. This happens all the time in Memphis

I almost feel they should be required to carry out here. This city is a thugs Paradise!

I won't drive in the hickory hood area without a pistol, day or night.

Guest WyattEarp
Papa John's is among many delivery chains with policies aimed at protecting drivers from robbery and similar crimes, including limiting the amount of cash they can carry, restricting delivery from certain areas or addresses, and not requiring the use of "car-toppers," signs that identify a delivery vehicle.

Please tell me that corporate America isn't this stupid. limiting cash won't keep you from getting robbed. there's people out there that will kill you for $20 just because you have it and they want it, they will kill you just for the shoes on your feet (especially in Memphis!). these "policies" don't protect drivers, they make them targets and render them quite helpless.

the driver is assuming all the risk, his vehicle, his gas, his insurance, his safety, yet his own company hangs him out to dry by instituting a policy that he can't protect himself.

and this poor guy lives and works in Memphis...I think you'd have to be crazy or off your mental rocker to deliver pizza in memphis.

I won't go near that city anymore unless I'm carrying, and a round is a chambered and a I have an extra magazine full of hollow points within arm's reach (and even that's probably not enough!).

I think it's time that state government's institute laws that if you work in an industry (delivery, bank teller, or some other industry that requires you to go into a bad part of town, or do some kind of employment/work in a crime prone area, or subject yourself to a potential situation where you could be accosted by a criminal element) that a HCP can supercede an employer's policy that the employee may not carry legally for his/her own protection, and you would be protected by state law from being terminated. Bus driver's, cab drivers, delivery personnel, bank tellers, gas station attendants, to name a few.

Amen. You never know when you might get a flat tire and then you're in deep doo-doo.

Wheels and tires are cheap compared to the cost of a trip to the Med. If I have A flat in some areas, I'll keep driving untill I get to a safer area.

I work for a large corporation that does business with the general public in Memphis. I, fortunately work in middle Tennessee and don't have to frequent Memphis much. I am afraid that it is just a matter of time before one of my co-workers in Memphis is assaulted or worse. Of course, the company I work for has a "No Firearms Policy", which I abide by.

I feel that the company I work for would rather loose an employee to a violent crime on the job, than that employee legally carry a firearm and protect themselves in self-defense. If one of my co-workers were murdered on the job, my employer would send his family flowers and have his managers go to his funeral. We do have a accidental death policy for death incurred on the job. On the hand, if one of my co-workers legally carried a handgun and was threatened with his life on the job and he/she used his firearm in legal self-defense, he would be terminated immediately.

That is probably the way things would happen with most major companies in our country.

I am afraid that it is just a matter of time before one of my co-workers in Memphis is assaulted or worse. Of course, the company I work for has a "No Firearms Policy", which I abide by.

I feel that the company I work for would rather loose an employee to a violent crime on the job, than that employee legally carry a firearm and protect themselves in self-defense.

That’s why we need legislation that while holding the gun owner responsible for his actions; gives absolute immunity to any company that allows an authorized (HCP holder) employee to carry.

A Pizza deliver guy doesn’t have any money for the lawyers to get if he kills an innocent person or bystander. The company being the “Deep Pockets†is the only place for a payday to come from. Even though they aren’t liable the risk and the cost of a trial probably means a settlement. That’s just wrong.

So the companies can’t tell their delivery guys to get their HCP and strap on a gun and wait for the inevitable “bad shoot†or civil suit from a self-defense shooting.

If I carry a gun on my job I should shoulder all of the responsibility and liability for that. However if I negligently shoot or kill someone the family is going to want a bigger settlement that I can pay; so they go after my employer. Most employers aren’t willing to take that risk.

I’m sure many employers have a “no Guns†policy for personal reasons. But I would bet for most of them it’s a simple business decision.

I delivered pizza in 2004 or something for PJ's. It was their policy to not allow weapons on the premises or to allow drivers to carry them (lol).

I always had my Glock 36 on my side. Be damned if I'm going to get mugged or killed over a policy for a job I only took to have extra money to build an engine for a car.

That’s why we need legislation that while holding the gun owner responsible for his actions; gives absolute immunity to any company that allows an authorized (HCP holder) employee to carry.

A Pizza deliver guy doesn’t have any money for the lawyers to get if he kills an innocent person or bystander. The company being the “Deep Pockets” is the only place for a payday to come from. Even though they aren’t liable the risk and the cost of a trial probably means a settlement. That’s just wrong.

So the companies can’t tell their delivery guys to get their HCP and strap on a gun and wait for the inevitable “bad shoot” or civil suit from a self-defense shooting.

If I carry a gun on my job I should shoulder all of the responsibility and liability for that. However if I negligently shoot or kill someone the family is going to want a bigger settlement that I can pay; so they go after my employer. Most employers aren’t willing to take that risk.

I’m sure many employers have a “no Guns” policy for personal reasons. But I would bet for most of them it’s a simple business decision.

One thing Dave and I completely agree on.....

One of my coworkers an I were having the " go to Memphis " conversation with a nonHCP person at work the other day and both agreed that Jackson was usually one pistol multiple mags and Memphis was multiple guns multiple mags

. Just For the record, several years ago another friend p mine was the service manager at a Jeep dealer downtown and a police officer told him after dark slow down and look at red lights but don't stop unless he had to, to avoid an accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Pizza deliver guy doesn’t have any money for the lawyers to get if he kills an innocent person or bystander. The company being the “Deep Pockets†is the only place for a payday to come from. Even though they aren’t liable the risk and the cost of a trial probably means a settlement. That’s just wrong.

So the companies can’t tell their delivery guys to get their HCP and strap on a gun and wait for the inevitable “bad shoot†or civil suit from a self-defense shooting.

I’m sure many employers have a “no Guns†policy for personal reasons. But I would bet for most of them it’s a simple business decision.

Even if they wanted to make liability insurance a requirement. It's not all that expensive.