how to transport to the range

Guest oldslowchevy

Guest oldslowchevy

hopefully in the next week or two i will get a chance to take my wife to the range.

my question is this, since neither my wife or i have a weapons permit how can i leaglely transport the 2 guns and ammo to and from the range?

i thought about keeping the guns in there boxes, but isn't that concealed?

my wife wants her permit but wants to shoot and get use to the gun first so she wants to wait to after the first of the year to get hers.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

unloaded, any magazines unloaded, ammo and gun not within hands reach of each other. Some say to transport action open, esp long guns. In the box is fine, concealed means on or nearby your person within reach, not in its box in the trunk. Honestly the trunk could be called concealed if the box could.

What I always do is I put all my ammo that I'm taking to the range with me in my Pelican case (I have one designated for ammo) and that goes in the bed of the truck, all the guns are in cases/bags so they don't draw any attention with the magazines unloaded usually in the target bag away from the guns and the target bag and guns stay in the cab of the truck. I usually keep my gun oil, boresnakes, small tool kit, staple gun w/ extra staples and spray adhesive as well at targets in my target bag. I've always been told though that just so long as the guns are in a seperate box from the ammo and no loaded magazines you are fine, this was coming from some family that are/were Cincinnati cops.

Guest Overtaker
guns and ammo seperate. Meaing one or the other in the trunk.

Boxes don't matter. Just keep guns and ammo seperate.

THIS. Unloaded guns in the trunk. Ammo behind the seat.

Guest oldslowchevy

my concern is i drive a station wagon so there is no trunk. also i have single action revolvers not semi autos (yet) and i woud have a lock though the cylinder on the .45 not sure if it would fit in .22 though so i would just remove the cylinder

Guest bkelm18
my concern is i drive a station wagon so there is no trunk. also i have single action revolvers not semi autos (yet) and i woud have a lock though the cylinder on the .45 not sure if it would fit in .22 though so i would just remove the cylinder

Don't worry. You're not the first person that ever drove a station wagon with firearms. Just put the guns in the back and the ammo up front. Dont bother with locks unless you feel it necessary.

It usually boils down to why they are looking in your car, and why you having a gun is a concern.

Generally “close proximity” means that you can’t quickly load the gun and use it. If there is ammo and a gun inside the passenger compartment, that would be a judgment call on the part of the Officer and then the DA. You may end up battling it out in court.

Locking the weapons in a case or making them inoperable would obviously help with that.

It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person who is not authorized to possess a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351 is transporting a rifle or shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle and the rifle or shotgun does not have ammunition in the chamber or cylinder, and no clip or magazine containing ammunition is inserted in the rifle or shotgun or is in close proximity to both the weapon and any person.

The obvious fix for this problem is to get an HCP. Then it’s this…

It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351 is transporting a rifle or shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle and the rifle or shotgun does not have ammunition in the chamber. However, the person does not violate this section by inserting ammunition into the chamber if the ammunition is inserted for purposes of justifiable self-defense pursuant to § 39-11-611 or § 39-11-612.

Edited by DaveTN
Guest oldslowchevy

my wife will be getting her permit soon after the new year, i owe the state on maryland money though the courts and there for the TBI will not allow my to either buy a gun though a gun/pawn shop or get my permit until all open court cases are closed, that just the roughly what the letter said when i went to but a semi auto last year. it does not prevent me from owning a gun or buing one ftf it is just when the gun shops run the back ground it came back denighed. so untill i finish paying maryland i will keep peace by not causing any unwanted waves at this time. but once i am paid off i will then get my permit at that point.

my wife will be getting her permit soon after the new year, i owe the state on maryland money though the courts and there for the TBI will not allow my to either buy a gun though a gun/pawn shop or get my permit until all open court cases are closed, that just the roughly what the letter said when i went to but a semi auto last year. it does not prevent me from owning a gun or buing one ftf it is just when the gun shops run the back ground it came back denighed. so untill i finish paying maryland i will keep peace by not causing any unwanted waves at this time. but once i am paid off i will then get my permit at that point.

You are saying they denied you on a purchase not for a criminal conviction, but for a civil judgment that you have not paid off?

Guest oldslowchevy
You are saying they denied you on a purchase not for a criminal conviction, but for a civil judgment that you have not paid off?

you got it.

i work nights and will be going to bed in the next 20 minutes or so but i will take photos of the paper work and send it to you via pm or e mail. i do not want to post publicly due to there being alot of personal information on those papers as you know.

you got it.

i work nights and will be going to bed in the next 20 minutes or so but i will take photos of the paper work and send it to you via pm or e mail. i do not want to post publicly due to there being alot of personal information on those papers as you know.

You don’t need to PM me the stuff. I was just thinking that if there is the possibility that they will issue a warrant for you; I wouldn’t have a gun and ammo in my vehicle. Too easy to just tack on a gun charge.

That’s why I said it usually depends on why they are looking in your vehicle.

Guest oldslowchevy

i had no problem buying guns when i lived in florida, it is just money i owe for past doctors/hospitals visits. the judgement were made in 1999 and 2000 an over the years i forgot alabout them. i have been making payments since i found about it them (again) i have been making payments on these civil cases.