advice for handgun carry/holster during a hunt.

This season will be my first year hunting. My rifle may not be ideal (I'm still debating what to bring and how to carry it around but that's another thread) but I'll certainly look good with brand new hunting clothes and a new (to me) SW 686 4 inch in 357 mag. :stare:

So question - I'll be wearing heavy clothes, jacket, orange vest, etc. What is the best way to carry the revolver? (I normally carry an LCP in the pocket or a sub com in an IWB holster so this will be different)

I'm reading - some opine to carry it 'off side/weak side' so that it doesn't bang on your rifle. Any suggestions:

My requirements:

- has to protect the baby (because even if I do get a deer but mess up the 686; I'd be devastated); mine is a SS model; what's the best for that?

- need to be able to wear it where I can easily access it but not have it stick out so much that if I don't get anything and we end up eating at McDonalds instead, it isn't the first thing folks see when I walk in.

- cheap. I've got another 5-6 years of student loans. And I've blew all my lunch money on the hunting clothes and the revolver.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a drop leg when I am in the woods,

offers great protection, easily adjustable to clothing (cold or warm weather) with the right setup you can switch easily between strong and weak side. It has always suited my needs.

you can pick them up at most fles markets for $35-$65 .

I guess I am lazy, cause I know I wouldn't carry a pistol in the woods if I was carrying a rifle. Maybe the LCP in a pocket, but not a big old 686. However, if I were not too lazy to carry both, then I would carry a 686 or a GP100 in a Bianchi 111 Cyclone

It will ride higher on the belt. but it would allow my gun to be covered by my coat. To me, the most likely use for a revolver while hunting is to carry while tracking, leaving the rifle in the truck so my hands are free to drag Mr. Buck out of the woods.

The drop holster does look cooler though and is fast. I don't know how well it will protect your gun though. The way I hunt, I am always snagging everything on me on a limb or briars.

I would say take something you do not mind if it gets a ding, and that would go for daily carry or hunting or anything else. If you would be upset if whatever gun you are using were scratched, then do not use that gun in a hostile environment. Since you DO have your rifle, you can carry the pistol deeply concealed during the hunt, even so far as to stow it in a plastic protective box, then put it into your holster when you return to your vehicle, so you have it when you go into town. With all the gear, a shoulder holster may also be a good option, no one will see it under the vests and coats and all that stuff, and those will hold it secure and are less likely to be bashed by a fence or whatever during the hunt. It also sort of matters how you hunt... if going in a tree stand, whatever you use, be careful of it, not just the dangers of a loaded gun but the dangers of a big metal object that you can fall against -- you do NOT want the tree stand harness to grap the gun tight against your body, ow and stuff.

Guest BungieCord
El Paso Saddlery make a very nice tanker's style shoulder holster in tooled leather. IMHO, a vastly more practical carry than the "James Bond" shoulder holster, and it won't suffer as many scratches when you go brush-busting as a drop-leg would.

For your application there are millions of duty holsters out there from when cops were carrying 686’s. I carried one daily and didn’t damage it. Put rubber grips on it and you are good to go. You would have to have a serious accident to screw up a stainless Smith. And even then they are pretty easy to repair.

Or, if you want it under your coat, just get a thumb break pancake.