Help me decide on my next EDC.

vaiger

My primary carry guns are a G26 and a P3AT. Both are reliable guns that I enjoy carrying. My wife really likes the G26, so I leave it with her most days. If we are out and about together, I typically carry the G26. I love how easy the P3AT is to carry, but it is a .380 and I don't overly enjoy shooting it.

I have been thinking of picking up a new gun to give me another option for EDC. I have been thining about a compact 9 like the Kel-Tek PF9 or a compact .45 such as the Taurus PT-145. I like the PF9 or CW9 because they are just a little bigger than my P3AT and look like they would be easy to carry and have a bit more fire power. I like the PT-145 because it is relatively close in size to my G26 (and because it's a .45).

I can get the PF9 from CDNN for $229 or the PT-145 for $299, so either one is a bargain.

As I lay out my pros and cons, I think I am convincing myself to lean toward the PT-145. I pocket carry the P3AT 85% of the time, and I suspect the PF9 is too big for comfortable pocket carry. If I am going to carry IWB or OWB, I might as well go ahead and carry the PT-145 or G-26.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have realy been enjoying my LC9 it is just big enough and just small enough.

Without the pinky extention I can pocket carry it in most of my pants and I am thin. It is not unplesant to practice with in my opinion, a little snappy with the +p corbon defense round I am using in it. I did the .25₵ trigger job and removed the mag saftey.

for what it's worth thats my :)

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

I would probably choose the CW9 over the Kel-Tec, even considering the price difference. The CW9 is not a pocket gun unless you have really large pockets. It is, however, a great IWB piece. It also uses the same ammo as your G26, so that's a plus. Comfortable in the (my) hand, nice trigger, not uncomfortable to shoot. I really enjoy mine, and it is my dedicated warm weather carry piece. It it's also my cold weather carry piece if I can't get excited enough to strap on the G19. Comparing it to the Taurus is really apples to oranges, though.

I pocket carry my PM9 (same size as the CW9) it even fits in my jeans and the recoil difference between the PF9 and PM9 is night and day

I was pretty excited about the CW9 or PM9 option at one time, but I don't really care to give Kahr my money if they really have close ties to Universalism. From some of the things I read, it sounds like their holding company has very close ties to the Church. I would probably consider buying a used one since they would not be benefiting from my purchase though. I haven't thouroughly researched the matter, but based on what little I have read I am not comfortable buying from them at this point.

One think I do like about the 9MM is that I am already setup to cast and reload 9mm and have lots of brass.

about all I can comment on here is the pf9 is fine for pocket carry, its quite small and thin. I carried the wider p40 in my pocket for several months but the trigger pull was too much for me, the p40 is the p11 frame and the pf9 is smaller still, so its not bad at all for a pocket gun.

If you go onto Youtube, as annoying as Nut N Fancy is, he does do a good LONG... review on the PF9. He does a few other reviews too on other subcompact pistols. I like the Kahr PM9 review that he did. I know Kahr makes good guns but they tend to be pricey. Warning: He talks way too much. He's one of those guys who could talk about the color yellow and the philosophy of the color for 3 hours without stopping to take a break.

Edited by w0lfattack
i'm retarded

I’ve carried a PF9 quite a bit in a pocket holster w/o any problems but P3AT and LCP are more comfortable in my pocket. The Ruger Lc9 is really nice for carry in a low profile OWB or IWB holster and is more comfortable to shoot then the PF9. Some other options to consider are the KT P-11, Ruger SR9cc, S&W M&P Compact or the Bersa Thunder 9mm.

PF9 is a good but not great pocket carry gun. That includes both back and front pocket. Not nearly as good at the 3AT, but I did it everyday for about a year. It will not be as comfortable as your 3AT though.

I would go with another G26 or a G30SF and carry your 3AT as a BUG. I carry a G26 and a P32 as my BUG. For those times I don't have my G26 with me, I always have my "get off me" gun in my back pocket.

Edited by Rebels010

If you want something "enjoyable" to shot, I dont know of anyone who would recommend the PF9. The PF9 is great and is the primary EDC of both me and my wife. However, it is the least enjoyable thing I have ever shot.

Guest rockytop

I have tried two PF9's and the recoil was very uncomfortable for me. In my opinion, they are worse than the 40's and 45's that I have used. Have both a P3AT and LCP which practically disappear in your pocket, but small caliber. Also have a Glock 26, 19 and 23 which are great but are too big for my pockets and I wouldn't carry a Glock in my pocket anyway.

The Kahr PM9 has been the answer for me. It's my constant companion.

Pro's--9mm, very smooth trigger, small size, comfortable recoil.

Con's-- Price.

If I didn't already have the PM, I would buy one of the more economically priced Kahr CM9's before the sun went down today.

Edited by rockytop
grammer
Guest FiddleDog

Well, It looks like your price range (based on the guns that you mentioned) has ballooned about 2x-3x. I've owned both a PF9 and a PT145. Between the 2, I'd get the PT145. It's a good gun that has great ergs and a very good trigger. It is a bit bigger than what I think could be comfortably pocket carry, put then again, so is the PF9. Taurus used to have a single stack, I think it was the PT745. That one was pretty svelt...

Edited by FiddleDog
Peejman,

What % of the time do you carry the pt145 vs the p3at?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I got the P3AT earlier this year and have carried it a lot. It's so much easier in the summer, especially when chasing after my kids. No worrying about shirt tails coming up, printing, its lighter, cooler, ... basically invisible. I did carry the PT145 occasionally, but mostly in my man bag. Now that cooler weather is here, I'll carry the PT more. I put at least a few rounds through both when I go to the range. Recoil is similar, though the PT is much easier and more fun to shoot. Ammo cost is about the same.

So to directly answer your question... something like 60/40 - 70/30, P3AT more than PT145.

Thanks for all the feedback. I suspect I will end up owning both the PF9 and PT-145 at some point in the next year or two. I few months ago I had the itch and went to trade my P3AT for a used PT-145 at the LGS. The offer they gave me was the 3AT+$330 for a used PT145. That was almost comical since I can get a new PT for $299. Glad I kept the 3AT. Had to send it back to Kel-Tek, but they worked the bugs out of it that my fluff and buff did not fix.

I am going to keep thinking about it a few more days, but I am leaning toward the PT-145 first. You guys have thrown out a lot of good options. I really would consider a new CW9 if not for my previously stated moral objection. I may keep my eyes open for a good used CW9 as well if the right deal comes along.

... I am going to keep thinking about it a few more days, but I am leaning toward the PT-145 first. You guys have thrown out a lot of good options. I really would consider a new CW9 if not for my previously stated moral objection. I may keep my eyes open for a good used CW9 as well if the right deal comes along.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either one. I'm very happy with my PT. A friend has a CW9 and while I haven't shot it, it does feel good in my hand. There's a nice CW9 in the trading post at the moment.

I have realy been enjoying my LC9 it is just big enough and just small enough.

Without the pinky extention I can pocket carry it in most of my pants and I am thin. It is not unplesant to practice with in my opinion, a little snappy with the +p corbon defense round I am using in it. I did the .25₵ trigger job and removed the mag saftey.

for what it's worth thats my :D

pfries, what is the .25 trigger job you are referring to on the LC9?