Home gun for my mom (debating handgun vs. shotgun)

BrandonTN

My mom, the most anti-gun person ever, floored me the other day when she told me she wanted a gun to keep around for a few reasons. The main reason is a pitbull who lives next door. They have a wooden privacy fence separating the yards which is about 6-7' tall. Apparently the neighbor's pitbull is becoming very aggressive when my mom is out there or our lab is out in the yard. He constantly runs into the fence and tries to leap over. Assuming the HOA will allow it, my parents are thinking of stringing razor wire along the top, but I'm not sure that will fly. Animal control can not do anything unless the dog makes it into their yard, which at that time, no telling what could happen. The second reason would be for when my dad is out of town and she is wanting more protection that that golf club by her bed will provide her. I think he budget is around $300. I am debating a 12 or even 20 gauge pump gun or a cheap .380 or 9mm. I'm leaning towards the 9mm for a handgun due to the price of ammo. Personally, I have a 12 gauge for a HD gun, but I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this matter. One final note, of course if the pit bull is attacking her lab, then it becomes a matter of a well placed shot and she does want to become proficient in shooting. Anyways, opinions are much appreciated. I told her I would start looking into this for her.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your Mom has NO facility with firearms, buy her a 20 ga. double barrel; short barrel and SHOOT it with her until she is comfortable with it.

Unless your mother - unlike mine - is willing to invest the time to practice placing a good shot, a shotgun is better self protection for her than a handgun.

If your Mom has NO facility with firearms, buy her a 20 ga. double barrel; short barrel and SHOOT it with her until she is comfortable with it.

Unless your mother - unlike mine - is willing to invest the time to practice placing a good shot, a shotgun is better self protection for her than a handgun.

I figured that...she did hint at the fact that she doesn't want a gun unless she takes a course and I know there are some places around TN offering all-women classes, but I believe those are geared more towards CCW. Yes, I will make sure I shoot with her, I'm not just going to throw a gun at her and say have at it.

Guest Boomhower

From everything you've mention'd, I would go with something along the lines of this...I love mine.....

moss_46401.jpg

http://www.impactguns.com/store/015813504553.html

Or

moss_50580.jpg

http://www.impactguns.com/store/015813505802.html

And as a little special gift to them from the best son ever.....This would be a nice addition to keep in the back yard for the pit bull....

moss_51340.jpg

http://www.impactguns.com/store/015813513401.html

I could tell you were not going to throw a gun at her and let her go; if you are inclined towards a handgun for her, take her out and let her shoot a .22 and graduate up to a .38. If no comfort level for her in a handgun, go for a 20 ga. shotgun; single or double

I can't see her ever growing comfortable with a pistol grip...I threw one on my 12 just to experiment and hated it. I'm leaning more towards a 20g youth model with around a 21" barrel...Pardner seems to have a pretty good selection for under 2 bills.

Guest Boomhower

Personally, I seriously would not even consider a handgun if the dog is an issue at all. Heck, I consider myself a pretty fair shot with my handgun, and I'd prefer the spray a shotty against an aggressive dog...........or attacker for that matter.

Guest EasilyObsessed

38spl Revolver. Maybe your mother is different, but my mom has a pretty hard time pulling back the slide on an automatic.

Maybe I dont have a perfect image of the situation, but I would think that walking around in the back yard with a 20g may draw some unwanted attention from neighbors?

38spl Revolver. Maybe your mother is different, but my mom has a pretty hard time pulling back the slide on an automatic.

Maybe I dont have a perfect image of the situation, but I would think that walking around in the back yard with a 20g may draw some unwanted attention from neighbors?

She's planning on keeping it in by the patio door while outside...its a fairly small backyard with a privacy fence surrounding it. Even if she did walk around with it, no one can see in the backyard due to the fence.

Guest m4coyote

My mother is not anti gun by any means, but she asked me for the same thing. She wanted something to give her a greater feeling of security when she heard something go bump in the night.

A friend of mine sold me his nice little Mossberg .410 pump. I removed the plug, and stoked it full of 2 1/2" #4s. She already had a Smith & Wesson model 60, but she knew that the shotgun would be far more effective at night than the .38.

She and I went out and spent some time shooting the little .410, and she loved it. She felt that any night time intruder would no doubt be impressed by the cold & hard universal language made by the sound of that slide.

It may be "just" a .410, but from observing her shoot it that day, I would never want to be on the wrong end of that muzzle.

My mom is 77 years old and she wanted something a little more manageable than my dad's old .357 trooper. I got her a Mossberg youth .410 pump. She likes it and can shoot it with no problems. With the pitbull situation.....when your mom is out in the yard I think she should have a gun on her. I'd go with a small lightweight 2" barrel .38 loaded with snakeshot rounds for the first three shots, then hollow points just in case the snakeshot doesn't stop the dog. Pepper spray might be a good idea too.....if the pitbull was attacking your mom's dog, the pepper spray would most likely stop the fight without harming either dog.

Guest jackdog

I would think a shot gun is still the best answere for her, even in the back yard. A charging dog is not going to be aneasy target, snake shot in a pistol, would probably not stop an aggressive pit bull.

Guest mikedwood

I'd agree with the 20 ga or even the 410. Plenty of pellets fly with either one and she should be able to handle either pretty well.

Good question, good plan and great you are going to teach her to shoot. If she has to shoot a 2nd or 3rd shot then should be able to get that off.

I think my mom might be wanting to learn to shoot soon.

I would suggest a 20ga or 12ga (using low recoil loads). Preferably a pump or SxS, to maximize simplicity of loading and operation.

If a handgun is easier for her to store and have access to, I'd recommend a .38spl... recoil is easy to control (especially with adrenaline pumping), and it hits hard enough to kill a dog at least.

Guest db99wj

It is a freak'n shame that good people, like your mom, have to live in fear in their own backyard because some numbnut doesn't have control over their dog.

Unfortunately, if the dog gets over the fence, her lab might end up hurt or dead too, but from what I have seen of labs, they will protect their owner. But you mom has to realize that her dog could get hurt nonetheless, but also that other dog won't quit, so she will have to first and foremost protect herself.

This kinda thing makes me mad and it looks like there is nothing within the limits of the law you can do. The dog actually has to come over the fence and maul and mame someone before anything can be done.....:):mad::eek:

Sorry for the rant.

I like Eddie's idea. Go down the entire length of the fence and place a 16 penny nail through each picket about 3 feet up. Puppy won't do that too many times.

The first question to ask though is who's fence is it? If it is the neighbors then you can't do it. If it is hers then she can. Remember a fence has to be on your property so technically the little bugger is off of his property when he hits the fence if your mom owns it.

Guest DrBoomBoom

I'd think twice about putting nails through the fence. If their dog gets hurt, you'd get sued for the vet bills. If their kids, God forbid, get hurt it could be worse. Even if no one gets hurt, it could escalate the whole deal.

You might get a dog expert, maybe a police K9 trainer or a vet or behaviorist, to asses the fence and the other dog's actions, and get them to write a letter to the town council as well as the police. And/or erect a much higher fence on your side of the yard. But if you do anything, especially anything potentially dangerous like nails, on their side of the fence they could have a case.

My vote's for both a 20 guage and pepper spray

Guest TargetShooter84
I would go with a 20 gauge autoloader with buckshot. Manageable kick, easy to aim, simple to learn, powerful enough.

This I have to agree with....its the best way because the pellets from the bullets will spray around the dog rather than one single bullet that could possibly miss the intended target.

I think you are over looking the problem. Being untrained, your Mom may not have time to react in a Pit Bull attack no matter what she has.

No way I would put up with a Pit Bull trying to get over the fence every time I went outside. That’s just crazy… especially in an HOA. I wouldn’t live in an HOA because of their tactics, so I can’t believe they would let this continue.

First I would talk with the owner of the dog, if that did not work I would be on the phone with the HOA and animal control every day. I would let the HOA and the owner know that I am documenting all my calls for help for the lawsuit that is going to happen when the dog gets loose.

I am a dog lover and own a Doberman. No way would I expect my neighbors to have to fear being outside because of my dog.

Guest kdgreen23

My neighbors chow got out of her fence about 2 weeks ago and my Papillion

who weighs 5 lbs was outside in his "radio fence" playing around. I heard him

yelping and ran outside and she had him in her mouth slinging him around.

I pulled my .38 snub and I couldn't shoot her no matter how hard i wanted

to. I love animals too much. So I fired one shot in the gravel and she dropped

him. He has 30 stitches in him and 3 drainage tubes. The vet said he would

be fine. The neighbor paid the vet bills. But I informed her that next time

she got loose and was in my yard I would shoot her dog. She said she understands and It will never happen again. I just could not kill her dog.

Probably should have. But I agree the 20 gauge and pepper spray would be

best.

Guest Boomhower

Hang a piece of raw meat on your side of the fence, then sit on your porch with a shotgun and invite him on over. Once you have taken care of the issue, throw the meat on the grill and you have a nice alibi. :(.....I hate aggressive dogs. I don't care what type they are.