Good Ol Mossy 500's and Remington 870's

PaiMei

Alright...so, I just had a tornado shelter installed, and am using that as an excuse to get a couple of new shotguns for it. Im a pistol and rifle guy..but shotguns...I only have one 500. I wanted to see who has had both the 500 and 870 series and can give their opinions on them. They both have relatively reliable receivers and have aftermarket parts up the wazoo. So please chime in! But only stick to the 500's or 870's. I know there are a lot of tacti-cool FN's and stuff out there...but I want part availability. So.....thoughts?

Edited by PaiMei
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Boomhower

I believe there's a similar thread floating around here somewhere, but what the heck, everybody likes to talk about there guns....no matter how many times they tell the story.

I have a 500. It came with 2 barrels.....18 1/2" slug and 26" fixed choke.....I stick the 26" on and shoot clays, and then I put the 18 1/2" on with a pistol grip to keep for HD. I like it for both applications, but it can get to be a hassle if I shoot clays much. I've thrown around the idea of buying an 870 to shoot clays with and keep the 500 for HD. But the only reason I would have for buying an 870 is just to say that I have both. I've shot both and I can't really complain about either, though I've never owned an 870.

I have both and I cant complain about either. I use both for hunting but not HD. For HD the 500 safety may be easier to operate in time of distress, but if you practice like we all should the safety operation should not be a problem. I don't think you can go wrong with the 500 or 870.

I have shot both as well and can't complain about either...I love both...I have an older remi and have a "borrow to own" deal with my brother on a used 500 and the only physical item I can see or feel is the 500 feels loose on the pump action and the remi's are very solid and smooth. I would take either...their great!!!!

I prefer the 870, only because I think it looks better and the slide feels more solid. All the 500's feel loose and make noise when you twist them. Having said that, I have killed more doves and squirrels with a 500 20 ga. I had when I was a teenager. I hunt turkeys with my 870 but have a 500 persuader under the bed for HD. Don't know if this helps or confuses even more.

Guest Boomhower

One thing about the 870 that I prefer over the 500 is the location of the safety switch. The 500 is on the top of the reciever and the 870 is on the trigger guard. To me, the 870 safety is just more practical if you have the gun raised to firing position.

Guest Boomhower
Yeah the 870's safety is better because when you put Tacticool gear on like marine over-folding stocks you can still access the safety ;-D

:) I wanted an overfolding stock, but once I realized it wouldn't work well with my safety, I just went with the pistol grip.

Guest Boomhower
I like being able to see if its on safe or not

What happens if it's dark?.......I know, to each his own, and it was my choice to go with the 500 when I was buying, but I'd just perfer it if my 500 had a safety like the 870's. I just like the idea of using one finger for both functions.

Well,about the only time mine is on is when im cleaning and im checking it to see if the safety still works:p see I dont have kids,any friends kids,(or frinds sometimes:() running around to worry about.and its easy to remember (F) safety is Foward then Fire

• 2 years later...

500AT. The "T" is for tactical. The 500 AT was not marketed toward the general public, (although you could still buy it) but was intended for law enforcement, military, SWAT etc... They came from the factory shortend and often with heat shields, pistol grips, etc. Basically the same gun as the 500, but factory customised. This is my 500AT & the only thing I've added was the light mount.

010.jpg

013.jpg

I have both and like both. I couldn't really pick one over the other. The 870 is probably built a little sturdier, and it's heavier to prove it. But both my 870 and my 500 have been 100% reliable for the last 20 years.

Edited by USMCJG

I have a 870 Tactical with Knoxx SpecOps stock. I like it and have not had any problems with it. However it seems a little big for using in the house I would probably reach for one of my other smaller weapons if something goes bump in the night. I haven't figured out why I need it but I do need it.

i have both. the 870 is a tighter made gun. i also have a mossy 835 i've been thinkin about trading to 870 super mag. niether has ever gave me any problems so reliability wise i say they are equal.

Guest mikedwood

I have both and I like them both. I think the postions of the saftey and slide release are better on the 870.

On my Mossberg with a collapsable stock the slide release is a real trick to get to.

The 870 is just a stock wood stock but I think it would be better

The 870 seems made alot better. But I don't think you can go wrong with either or both.

Guest Synghyn

Really depends on what you want it for. Which ya know, means ya need one of each! :rolleyes:

If I had to pick one for HD I would pick the 500, just because I have had more experience with them and it's the one that's been sitting bedside for the last 10 years or so. It has never had a failure to do anything but impress with it's fit, finish and finesse. That just isn't what they are made for, but it has gone bang every time I pulled the trigger with a shell in, great reliable gun. Got it set up short for moving in the house and I'm happy with it.

If I was going hunting or shooting clays I would grab an 870. Better, more precise gun, a little more solid feeling. The only failure I've ever had with an 870 was when I didn't do all of my part because I was used to the looseness and forgiving action of the 500. But the 870 is, in my opinion a tighter, better shooting gun if you are concerned about distance or pattern.

I guess to me I like the 500 for HD because of it's lighter weight and looser tolerances. I like the 870 for it's tighter tolerances and better pattern. Your mileage may vary of course, but I'd say you couldn't go wrong with either. Depending on what second use you want for it, I'd lean one way or the other. Sounds like you wanted to shoot some clays as well, so I would go for the 870. But there's a heck of an argument for both!

Really both great reliable shotguns, hard to make a bad call.

Edited to add: Yeah I definetely like the position of the safety better on the 870. I just leave the 500 hundred with the action open, safety off, so the safety has never bothered me. Grab it by the forearm(pump) and it chambers on the way up from the floor. That's just me though. If the placement of the safety is a big deal to you, the 870 is probably a better choice. The 500 works for me because of how I use it, but I honestly don't know what they were thinking, just a tiny bit odd. ps. mine works and always has, just an odd position to me and I know a lot of other folks have had issues.

Syn

Edited by Synghyn
safety position comment