Rifle not grouping

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its normal for some rifles to shoot differently as they get hot. Depends on the gun, but certainly normal. Its a bolt action not a machine gun --- most are designed to fire one round now and then for hunting, in general... if you want one to fire back to back to back, you can try a military surplus or a bull barrel or just an older gun. I do not know what your best 25-06 might be, but its probably not going to be a run of the mill modern hunting gun.

Guest gunrunner1979

savage model 116 weather warrior i have 2 of them they are my favorite rifles, and i have some rifles that cost 4-5 times more. dollar for dollar savage in my op are the most accurate out of the box rifles on the market. i shoot one inch groups with my 300wsm and about 1 1/4 with my 30-06

also optics play a role. if you don't invest in a good scope, rings and bases that will make you accuracy suffer

CP:_______________

You might want to free float the barrel. What it amounts to is findin where the stock touches the barrel (...like near the forend...) and just sanding the stock away from the barrel. Take the time to do some searches on bedding and free floating barrels. Your ruger 77 should work just fine with it's "stock" wooden stock. I've got an old model 77 308 varmiter with the "stock" stock that will regularly shoot a 5 shot group ya can lay a nickel over with good ammo and if you do your part holdin it.

Ya may want to talk to some of our target shootin buddies here and see if they know any "shade tree" armorers who would free float the barrel and bed the action if you dont want to fool with it. You will be amazed at what these bolt rifles will do with just a tiny bit of tweaking.

Hope this helps.

leroy