Leatherman Warranty Review +1!

Wow! They have an amazing warranty. I've had a Leatherman Supertool (the first model) for over 10 years and I've beaten the **** out of it and abused it to hell. Last week Monday, I got the bright idea I would send it back to the factory for warranty work.

I had broken off the file and the flat head screwdriver using them as prybars. I also murdered both blades. They both had chips in the blade from be beating the crap out of them and had rust and pitting from leaving it outdoors (in hawaii, salty humid air). The wire cutters were used for cutting things other than wire, lol. I've had this since I was a child. I actually FOUND it hiking with my dad.

Anyway, I wrote them a formal letter stating how the multi-tool had been to hell and back with me and even admitted abusing it. I told them how I've come to rely and depend on it and thanked them for making such a rugged reliable and useful tool. I made it obvious that I was sentimentally attached to it.

One week later (today) I received a completely refurbished Leatherman Supertool. They removed 99% of all the rust. Both the file and and the flat head screwdriver were replaced. Both blades were refurbished and sharpened (one straight, one serrated). Even the pliers themselves were replaced! They also replaced the external lanyard clip that I never even used. ONE week back to my door AND American made? It doesn't get any better.

To be honest, I've never been so impressed with any warranty work I have ever received. They definitely went above and beyond and bought themselves a life customer. I'm planning on sending them a thank you card of some sorts and I thought I would post this review on the forums as a testament to their business. I am now planning on buying my father in law a Leatherman for Christmas as it suites his line of work.

Pictures coming soon!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am always pleased to hear this kind of news and review.

Glad they got you took care of in such a great manner and may it serve you well for another 10 years.

Well hell. I'm just in the process of contemplating parceling up my original Wave to return for a broken blade & burred up screwdriver. Glad to hear it only took a week as this has been my major worry. I never thought I'd ever need one or use one, until I picked mine up 8 years ago. I can honestly say that there isn't a day gone by in those 8 years that I haven't used it. I'd feel nekkid without it on my belt!

Guest mcgyver210

I just got one of mine back & they sorta messed up changing out my file for a second saw blade which I didn't need. So I called to find out what to do & not only was the girl apologetic for my inconvenience she is sending a postage paid return label & upgrading my knife to a better one.

I told her it wasn't a major inconvenience since I own a few more Leatherman's including my dads original SuperTool he gave me many years ago. I don't go anywhere without at least one Leatherman on me & haven't for yrs.

Leatherman really does care about customers & service.

Well hell. I'm just in the process of contemplating parceling up my original Wave to return for a broken blade & burred up screwdriver. Glad to hear it only took a week as this has been my major worry. I never thought I'd ever need one or use one, until I picked mine up 8 years ago. I can honestly say that there isn't a day gone by in those 8 years that I haven't used it. I'd feel nekkid without it on my belt!

Don't be afraid to send it in. You'll survive, I did. I actually had withdrawals. I actually tore up my room looking for it once and then I realized I had mailed it away! Haha! But in that week while it was gone, I found myself needing it 3-5 times. :-\

I just got one of mine back & they sorta messed up changing out my file for a second saw blade which I didn't need. So I called to find out what to do & not only was the girl apologetic for my inconvenience she is sending a postage paid return label & upgrading my knife to a better one.

I told her it wasn't a major inconvenience since I own a few more Leatherman's including my dads original SuperTool he gave me many years ago. I don't go anywhere without at least one Leatherman on me & haven't for yrs.

Leatherman really does care about customers & service.

TWO saw blades?! :lol: That's hilarious. I'm glad you had backup Leathermans and I'm glad that their customer service took care of you. :)

Side Note: I saw the new Leatherman Supertool 300 at Walmart today goin for $54. I took a close look and amazingly enough these things are still made in Portland, Oregon, USA. The new 300 looks totally different from the original. It's definitely beefier! It might make it under the tree this year. ;)

I agree with all the above. I actually broke the jaws of the pliers on my 10 year old Fuse. I shipped the pieces back to Leatherman and they shipped me a brand new Fuse, no charge, no questions asked. My only problem is breaking in a new tool, those pliers are stiff. But isn't that like complaining about free money?

• 1 month later...

Got to experience this for myself after breaking the "medium screwdriver" (aka prybar) off my Wave. Less than two weeks after I mailed it to Portland, I received a refurbished Wave in the mail. I was initially a little disappointed in not getting MY wave tool back (which they do ask if your tool has sentimental value on the return form), but I got over that real quick when I realized I essentially got a brand new one (sharp blades, new screwdriver tips, etc.) All in all a great experience except for all of the times I reached for it and didn't have it during those two weeks.

Here's the link to Leatherman's return policy page: Leatherman Warranty: North America

Everyone gives lip service to Customer Support and warranties…. Until you need them. It’s good to see a company that truly stands behind their product. Anything from any company can break; it’s how they handle it that matters.

Guest mcgyver210

I'm not one to give any credit where it isn't deserved but I can say I have had nothing but GREAT service from Leatherman over the years. Lucky for me I have a few extras on hand so when one is gone for repair I use one of my extras.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, they're getting another big thumbs up from me!

I finally relented & mailed off my old Wave for it's broken blade, mashed up screwdriver & chewed wire cutters to be repaired.

6 days later & I have in my fat, sweaty hand a BRAND NEW Wave! The model I owned has been discontinued & rather than try to find the correct parts, they simply replaced my old tool with a brand-spanker.

To say I'm happy is an understatement :(

Come the revolution (or Zombie Holocaust, S hitting the F or whatever) I'll be reaching for my Leatherman & my Henry .22

Both companies have gone above & beyond in honoring their respective warranties for me & I'll never part with either.

Any time a company gives me a good experience, especially in dealing with a warranty, I will go out of my way to continue being a patron of that company. I also make sure to let everyone know about a good experience. To me it's well worth a little extra money.

I'm glad to hear about your good experience. I can't say I've carried a Leatherman, but I have carried a Swiss Army Knife for about half my life and it's been invaluable.