Your opinions on this rifle? It was free so I like it already but I'm just curious.

Guest President Fernatt

Guest President Fernatt

My uncle passed away recently but he left me a few guns. His wife gave me 1 of his shotguns, a black powder rifle, and a Savage.

I'm not a big hunter and I'm only moderately educated in the different types of guns and things like that. The Savage is a model 110 and is 7mm. The 30-06 is always the most talked about hunting rifle but what's the low down on my Savage 7mm?? It was free so I already love it but more info is desired.

Is it a decent gun? Fairly reliable? Hold any value? Have any opinions?

Yes, I know I could simply google it....but that brought up way too many hits from a ton of different people that I found incredibly annoying to look through. I'm just looking for a couple folks to give me some general info. Thanks!!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest twpayne75

Would rather have a 7mm Mag than a 30-06 any day. Great round.

Also I believe savage rifles are underrated. A Savage 110 in .308 is what originally got me interested in longer range shooting. At 100 yards it would shoot well under MOA with hand loads.

The Savage 110 has been around a long time for a reason. They accomplished what many other companies have had to spend twice as much to achieve. They found a way to make one of the most accurate out of the box guns around for half the cost. Great guns!

Would rather have a 7mm Mag than a 30-06 any day. Great round.

Also I believe savage rifles are underrated. A Savage 110 in .308 is what originally got me interested in longer range shooting. At 100 yards it would shoot well under MOA with hand loads.

If I remember correct the Savage Model 110 series is the long action model (30-06, .270, 7mm MAG, etc) and the Savage Model 10 series is the short action model (.223, .308, etc). I own a model 10 in .308. Great gun. You are correct in that they are under-rated. As always, YMMV.

My savage 110 Tactical in 308 is STILL the most accurate rifle I own!!! Savages don't have much monetary value, but they are generally very accurate rifles and will serve for a couple of lifetimes.

You didn't mention whether it was a 7mm magnum or 7mm-08, but either way they are both good cartridges. You can take virtually any game in North America with either 7mm.

You are well served and should be very happy with your rifle.

Guest twpayne75
If I remember correct the Savage Model 110 series is the long action model (30-06, .270, 7mm MAG, etc) and the Savage Model 10 series is the short action model (.223, .308, etc). I own a model 10 in .308. Great gun. You are correct in that they are under-rated. As always, YMMV.

You may be right. Has been a long time. But .308 can be shot with a short or long action. The first rifle I had Predator Custom Shop build was with a Rem 700 short action. We did it in .308. When I had maxed it out I wanted to try building a .300 Win Mag. But since I had bought a short action I had to buy another action. So I just had them build another rifle.

I have owned several Savage rifles over the years, and I have never been disappointed. I don't own one now, but have for most of my adult life. IMO, they are the best bang for the buck with bolt guns.

I am not a big fan of the 7mm Rem Mag, but a lot of people swear by it.

I have owned several Savage rifles over the years, and I have never been disappointed. I don't own one now, but have for most of my adult life. IMO, they are the best bang for the buck with bolt guns.

I am not a big fan of the 7mm Rem Mag, but a lot of people swear by it.

Yep, Savage sure didn't make many lemons! Heck, after more than 25 years my trusty ol' Savage 24 in .357mag/20ga. is still going strong and I'll NEVER part with it. Might have to get a little closer than the big boys, but I've taken everything from rabbit and squirrel to mule deer with it and never been disappointed.

And if were going after elk or moose and someone wanted to loan me a 7mm, I sure wouldn't turn 'em down!

...TS...

The difference between the 110 and the 10 came about when the company restructured. Before the restructuring all Savage actions were the same length regardless of caliber. And they were all called Savage 110's, even 223's. When they restructured in the 90's they started with the short action guns and called them the model 10. All long action Savages are the same length since day one. Short action savages have been through a few different sizes, 4.275" and 4.400" action screw spacing.

The Savages with the receiver that has a flat back were built before the restructuring. They will also not have the accutrigger and cannot be fitted for one, at least not easily. Although they shoot well they are not as good as the new models for building upon. The reason is the older ones was before all the CNC equipment of today so tolerances can vary a lot with early guns. The new guns are a lot more consistent between guns making building them a lot less tedius.

Savage will no longer honor or do any warranty work on flat back Savages. Those were built before the current owners/managers took over.

As far as the caliber it depends on which 7mm it is. There are several 7mm calibers out there. They all seem to have a following so you will also probably be happy with its performance.

Dolomite

Guest President Fernatt

Well, I looked at it again and saw that is says Mag so it appears to be a 7mm Magnum. It also has 3-9x32 Simmons scope mounted on it. I'm glad to see that they have a loyal following...or that they're at least reliable guns. Considering it came from a deceased relative I obviously could never sell it due to some unwritten laws of sentimental respect lol so since I have to keep it I'm pretty excited about it being a good gun.

It wont be killing much of anything. I enjoy the hunt but not the gutting and cleaning of dead animals...so...that pretty much rules out hunting. Who says I can't still have fun though and shoot the heck outta some jugs, cans, watermelons, and targets? Too bad ammo is like a buck a shot =/

Thank you all for the information and some history on the gun and Savage. I appreciate it!

I am glad I ran across this post.........I was just about to post my own. It makes me feel a bit better about the money I just spent. I, just today, purchased a used Savage 110 in 30-06 with a Simmons 3-9x32mm scope. This is my first high powered rifle of sorts (I do own a mosin, well till this Saturday anyways) so I was a little hesitant in my knowledge of them. It does have the accutrigger so I was pleased with that and from the looks of it has been fired very little if any. The mag follower, springy thing (whatever its called) doesn't even have a scuff on it. I will reserve telling what I paid for it, but I feel I come out pretty good. Purchased on sale at a local pawn shop. I called Savage and according to them it is a 110 FXP manufactured in 06.

Guest President Fernatt

Congrats on your purchase! I fired mine a few times today and it's pretty beastly. I'm curious about calling Savage; I can google and find the number but I'm curious what you asked. Did you just ask them for the manufacture date or what? Also, what info did they need...just serial number?

Congrats on your purchase! I fired mine a few times today and it's pretty beastly. I'm curious about calling Savage; I can google and find the number but I'm curious what you asked. Did you just ask them for the manufacture date or what? Also, what info did they need...just serial number?

Yea I just called customer service and gave them the serial number and he gave me the model and year manufactured

Guest President Fernatt
Are you trying to find the manufacture date? Or is something else going on?

Dolomite

Well, initially I was just curious about the gun like my first question implies...but, when Andyshowfan said he found the manufacture date of his...that got me curious about the date of my own rifle. So, I'm just gonna call Savage and give them my serial number so they can tell me the manufacture date. I don't need to know but I'm just wondering.