Glock ownership???

Guest GlocKingTN

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hyaloid
The shooter of this pistol was using reloaded, full metal jacket ammunition. To the best of our understanding of the incident, the cartridge case was not sized properly, preventing the action from locking up fully, but allowing the action to close enough to fire the weapon. The result was an open breach detonation of the cartridge.
Not the Glock's fault in all likelihood.
Guest GlocKingTN
Not the Glock's fault in all likelihood.

I would say it wasnt either! But at least makes you think about using the reloads huh?:up:

Guest GlocKingTN
You must get rid of your Glocks NOW!!!..before it's too late :D

Send them to me and I'll dispose of them properly :D

Im sure you would JCE....:D

I also think Im done with the reloads as well.:up:

Guest db99wj

The more I read, the more links I read, the common denominator is the American Ammo. From the different ones that are linked in the above article and others I have read, it all goes back to certain types of ammo.

This tells me that Glocks are picky about certain types of ammo, copper-coated or copper-washed bullets types especially, and that I am not going to use that ammo in anything I shoot.

Guest GlocKingTN
The more I read, the more links I read, the common denominator is the American Ammo. From the different ones that are linked in the above article and others I have read, it all goes back to certain types of ammo.

This tells me that Glocks are picky about certain types of ammo, copper-coated or copper-washed bullets types especially, and that I am not going to use that ammo in anything I shoot.

I dont think I will either!:up:

i haven't owned many guns, but don't most if not all manuals say not to shoot reloads?? i would say that it's just a liability issue so that there is no fault to the manufacuter if something like this happens. i had a guy that works for my range that told me i should never shoot WWB from walmart (walmart only) then he showed me his glock 19 barrel that was obviously a victim of a squib that didn't exit, then followed up with another round. IMHO that could happen with ANY factory ammo. the machines that make those rounds are made by humans and to me that means they can make mistakes as well.

Guest Ghostrider

While quality control can fail in any factory and with any product, it appears that American has more problems when mixed with a glock than most.

Anyone have any info on how this ammo mixes with other manufacturers weapons? :up:

Guest DEIMOS
That sort of thing is why I'm afraid to get into reloading. I'll stick with WWB and Cor-Bon/Federal for now

Reloading is an exact sience. You have to know WTF you are doing. Close enough doesn't cut it. I have had squibs and hot loads in the past. A great learning experience if you and/or your gun survives, but I don't suggest having those experiences to learn from. I started loading for my .357 revolver, then moved to my SW.40. A revolver seems to be more forgiving of **** ups.

Get training from someone who knows the ropes. Spend on good reloading gear, take your time and do it right the first time. I think Glock says no reloads because some peoples reloads are of questionable quality. I don't think running Black Hill reloads would be a concern.

Just my .02

Jason

There are a lot of handgun manuals that tell you to not use reloads. I suspect it's for liability reasons and because a lot of people really don't know how to properly check their brass and reload properly. Because of the unsupported part of the chamber, that's particularly important in a Glock.

But American Ammunition is junk. I bought a case of it a couple of years ago just for sustained fire practice. I didn't expect it to be accurate. Had a number of rounds that would not allow my USP 40 to go into battery and fire. The USP will absolutely not fire in that condition. You can't generally tell by looking at the rounds which ones are bad. Just don't buy it.

Guest GlocKingTN

Im also guessing that alot of the gun makers dont want you shooting reloads because of price too. They dont want you spending $10 when you could be spending $20 or more. And probly in one way or another, that pricing affects their business as well. My .02 as well!

Guest jackdog

Any fire arm made can have the dreaded Kaboom.

Most often the cause is an ammo problem not the fire arm. Either from a ammo manufacture that had a problem, and this is pretty rare I would think,

Or bad reloads. If the glock UM is followed I think the odds of this would be pretty rare. Hey I will stick with my glocks.

Jackdog

When I was shooting a lot of 45ACP, I reloaded. I was very careful and used a single stage press. It was slower but allowed for better QC. I didn't load "hot" loads (practice ammo only) and stuck to jacketed bullets. I never had a problem (knock on wood).

Glocks do not like lead bullets (nor do HKs if I'm not mistaken). It is due to the rifling they use. If you want to shoot lead, get an aftermarket barrel. The advantage is that the Glock and HK barrels will squeeze a little higher velocity out of the same ammo/load than conventional barrels. You have to take the good with the bad.

As some other posters noted, some ammo is just garbage. Don't use it in any gun you like.