Glock ownership???

Guest GlocKingTN

Guest Archimedes
Reloading is an exact sience. You have to know WTF you are doing.
Because of the unsupported part of the chamber, that's particularly important in a Glock.

Indeed.

Weak/substandard brass + hot load + partially unsupported chamber = BAD!

~Archi

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GlocKingTN
Indeed.

Weak/substandard brass + hot load + partially unsupported chamber = BAD!

~Archi

I agree as of tonight. I went out the back door to shoot a round off to shut my dog up from barking, and after I shot, it jammed! POS wolf ammo!:D:up:

I agree as of tonight. I went out the back door to shoot a round off to shut my dog up from barking, and after I shot, it jammed! POS wolf ammo!:up::down:

If you aim right, it permanently stops the barking. :eek:

Oddly enough yesterday I was telling someone how I've never had a problem with Wolf ammo except back in the old lacquer days with .223 stuff. Maybe you need a better gun. :D

Guest GlocKingTN
If you aim right, it permanently stops the barking. :D

Maybe you need a better gun. :D

That could be it!:D

That good aiming will stop the cash flow as well!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reloading since 1981, I have loaded untold thousands of rounds without a major issue. I have made a few mistakes but nothing serious. I could probably quote you the Lyman reloading manual and I hung out with a lot of old timers that taught me a lot of the ropes.

As to American ammo, I have only had one kaboom with a glock and it was with a 2nd Gen Glock 22 and American Ammo. I don't think American is considered re-loads as they use new A-merc Brass. I did not realize they used copper plated bullets but I don't think that is what caused my kaboom as it was the first shot. I think the ammo got hot in the car and it just over pressured and blew out the web of the case.

Guest Loaded247

I've been reloading about as long as Glockster has....also without any major issues. When I first started I had some learning to do, and made some minor mistakes, but fortunately I learned, and learned well.

It's not 'reloaded' ammo that is bad, it is the QUALITY of the reloads that is an issue. In many of my older guns, MY ammo is the ONLY ammo that I will put in them...but my reloading operation is slow. I am extremely willing to put my ammo up against any factory ammo from a standpoint of accuracy and reliability.

That said, I have also seen some people reload, who give reloading a bad name. So, as I said, it's not reloading itself, but it is the quality, and the knowledge of the individual that is an issue. Firearms manufacturers cannot control that quality (of the reloads), so use of such generally voids the firearms manufacturers warranties...with good reason.

As to Glocks, we carry Glock 22s for duty use, and we have done so for several years...with NO issues...not a single one, and mind you, EACH of our officers fires a course on our range EVERY MONTH. On top of that, we also shoot a competition once a year with our G22s, and I have been to several training courses where the guns really got a workout...again, with no issues. I'm a Glock Armorer, but I have never had to work on my gun...cleaning is all I've ever had to do.

I also have a Glock 30 that I carry sometimes off duty. Personally, I think that Glocks are excellent firearms for the intended purpose.

In my mind, a handgun is a 'fighting tool'. A rifle or shotgun would actually be preferable, but we carry the handgun as a fighting tool because of it's convenience..it is easier to always have with us. With this in mind, if you find yourself faced with a serious threat of death or serious bodily injury, and you have to resort to your handgun for defense, the best method is to 'offensively' put holes in the SOB and cause enough damage to stop the SOBs actions, before the SOB does it to you. In other words, the purpose of the handgun is to shoot people....

Since that is the case, the fact of weather it is a Glock, 1911, H&K, Sig Sauer, S&W M&P, a revolver, etc., is of less importance. Lasers, lights, special finishes, special action jobs, etc., are also not of great importance. Either the handgun can reliably and accurately function, or it cannot, and either you have practiced smartly and diligently, or you have not...and you have either loaded the firearm with 'well selected' quality ammunition, or you have not...THOSE are the important things!

One other thing, as loaded pointed out, I did not fire a factory cartridge from any weapon I owned (and they were many, rifle/pistol/revolver) from 1982-83 to 1997. In 1997 I got involved in a shooting range and did start using some factory ammo again because of price and time. But during the time I was reloading religiously, I did not have any major problem and only a couple of minor things. Once I accidentally overcharged some 38 Specials. It cratered the primers when shot so I had to pull about 100 bullets. In my very early days when I did not have carbide dies and had to lube my pistol cases I had a couple of dead primers because of the grease accidentally getting into the primer area. Since carbide dies, Dillon 550's and a lot of practice, I have never had another such incident. I have no intention of buying ammo at 25-30 a hundred when I can roll it myself for half that. If time becomes an issue shoot more 9mm and buy that bulk.

One other thing, even though this is not as prevalent in pistol as it is in revolver and rife, once I find a load that works really well in a particular weapon, I can duplicate it at will. When you buy factory , you get ammo loaded with whatever powder, primer or bullet they could get the cheapest that week.

I'm gonna say, I shoot a glock 27, and I am reloading. I used to get the TN Cartridge reloads for my range sessions. I've also used Kinematics Research (another reload) and WWB (and various other new mfg) ammo.

As it has been said, if you reload and watch what you are doing, no watching TV while reloading, no talking to your spouse or significant other, but stay focused, you will have, IMHO, superior ammo.

I was amazed at the difference the first time I shot my reloads vs. TC loads. I'm hooked, in fact I'll be loading for my wifes 9mm, my 30-30 and my .223 soon.

For my first batch of 10 bullets, even though I am using a press that measures the powder load, I checked each one on a scale. I'm going to be shooting my first "big" batch of 150 reloads this weekend.

Stay safe,

Ryan

Checking each load on a scale after it's loaded is a good safety check.

No reason reloads shouldn't work fine in a Glock. Just remember that you have less safety factor because of the chamber design. The extra weighing will just insure that you haven't gotten a double charge in a round.

I watched the Front-Sight Challenge yesterday... 4 contestants, all with Glocks. 3 of them made it to the 2nd round, which consisted of running a course while shooting at falling steel silhuettes.

2 of the Glocks puked 3 times (one misfired AND I think FTF, in seperate instances), the other FTE. Each contestant had 2 magazines... 3 failures in less than 60rd is not what I'd call 'reliable'.

Glock 'perfection'???

Well good grief... if they can't even run properly on TV... :D

I was laughing so hard that I'm sure it was harmful to my health!

OK, Molon, do you know if these were stock glocks or were they modified for competition?

The ONLY FTF, FTE problems I have had were the times I've had someone load my mags and include spent brass in there. That is the only way that I have been able to work on clearing drills.

Now, for 1911's, I have seen first hand that some of them are so finicky about the ammo that it is not even funny. But, I'm not gonna like, I like the way 1911's shoot, and I may own one someday.

kckndrgn.

I know a fella who was on the rifle/pistol team for the Navy, has been a keen marksman all his life..all he shoots are 1911's. Hes' deadly with the dang things! (see post "the laws according to John MOSES browning").

I rarely see that pistol puke.

I sort of like em!

The 2 who had problems where cops using duty weapons. They weren't G34s or G17L versions, and they weren't ported.

The FTF wasn't a dummy round (since it did fire once in battery), and the FTE couldn't have been a dummy round. The misfire probably wasn't, since none of the other shooters had dummy rounds mixed in with their ammo.

I'm not saying Glocks aren't just fine weapons... But too many people over-hype their 'perfection'.

I'm not saying Glocks aren't just fine weapons... But too many people over-hype their 'perfection'.

True, I'll agree with you 100% on that. All things made by man are capable of malfunction at some point and time. What has to be done is proper maintenance and inspection of said mechanical devices.

Guest GlocKingTN
True, I'll agree with you 100% on that. All things made by man are capable of malfunction at some point and time. What has to be done is proper maintenance and inspection of said mechanical devices.

You just pretty much summed it up.....proper inspection and maintenance! Those 2 things can make anything work!:crazy:

Guest db99wj
You just pretty much summed it up.....proper inspection and maintenance! Those 2 things can make anything work!:crazy:

As long as you remember, proper inspection and maintenance of a turd......well it's still a turd!:hyper::rofl:

Just kidding!

Guest LiLBucket

Speaking of turds.....My dad always said on Sunday mornings, "You can't polish a turd" to me and my brothers. Wonder what he meant!!!

Guest GlocKingTN
As long as you remember, proper inspection and maintenance of a turd......well it's still a turd!:crazy::rofl:

Thats true I suppose.....:hyper:

I think all manufacturers say not to use reloads and I'm sure it's about liability.

Glocks/HKs don't like lead bullets because of the rifling. They lead up quickly which causes pressure spikes. As to the "copper washed" bullets, some have thicker jackets than others which goes back to the leading problem.

One poster said he used a single stage press, which is what I did and luckily never had any problems. I also stuck to jacketed bullets and didn't try to reinvent the wheel with hot loads. I think that any reloader who is careful and checks their reloads will not have any problems using THEIR OWN reloads. I would NOT shoot someone else's reloads.

I know a few people who were reloading 40S&W when it first came out. I was told that the brass was "fragile" but don't have any personal experience to back this up. 45ACP and 9MM brass will last a long time as long as it's not loaded hot, but it seems that 40S&W brass is not nearly as long lasting/strong. I don't know if that is still the case or not and, as I said, I don't have any PERSONAL experience to support this.

If you mix weak/worn out brass with a Glock chamber (which has less support than some other designs), you are looking for trouble. Don't blame the car if you drive it into a ditch.