Hunting Hogs causes Hogs

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets shoot them one at a time and the TWRA can continue to trap them.........

agreed.

I don't get one thing...While landowners are now more free to hunt them, not all landowners are hunters (or even live near their property), and not all hunters are landowners. In my little yard, I just have rogue skunks digging around, not hogs.

"Land Owners" I believe are part of the release problem.

Now my brain hurts. So, TWRA is rewarding (alleged/apparent) offenders (by relaxing regs for them), and punishing the rest of the hunters ? (Ow... it hurts..the circular reasoning you expose is making me dizzy)

BTW, I like your color. Easy to read.

B.

I read a quote that they made this decision based on recommendation from other states with hog problems and wanted to model management plans that had worked in those states. Well, if you look at Florida, Texas, Georgia and Oklahoma (states with long established hog population, long term management programs) they all allow liberal hunting of hogs, including baiting, night hunting, no limit, no closed seasons. But hey, what the heck do they know about hogs... One thing they will all tell you is that if you make the wrong choices early, then you will forever have hog populations that will continue to grow in multiples. Hunting/shooting wild pigs with or without bait, night and day, is not enough to control a hog population and will never be enough to eradicate wild hogs. This has been well proven, but it has also been proven that hunting IS a great compliment to trapping. You can't trap them all, you can't shoot them all. You have to do both to make a dent.

Here is a good breakdown of laws per state:

Wild Hog Hunting for Wild Hog Hunters - Hog and Boar Hunting for Real Hunters - Hog Hunting Laws

If you want to learn more about the truth about having wild hogs, read a few of these:

http://www.myfwc.com/media/1357551/WildPigManagementAL.pdf

http://www.berrymaninstitute.org/pdf/managing-feral-pigs.pdf

Animal Industry Services Feral Swine: Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food & Forestry

Good informative video:

MSSTATEwfaTV's Channel - YouTube

Yes indeed! I have a very nice collection of Hog mounts thanks to the Land Owners who released those Porkers!

Two of my cousins have a lease on some mountain near I think the north Carolina border? Or possibly Kentucky. Game warden kept catching people from fentress county bringing in hogs in that area.

Apparently the people who actually own the lease are several doctors and lawyers. Not sure if they were having them brought in or if it was for someone else.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

The one (I'm sure is doing it) is a realestate agent. He also owns 400+ acres that borders a Refuge. He has more hogs on his property than you can shake a gun at. He also leases out the property and has a hunt club on it. We've had too many hogs coming and going off his property. He even complained to the refuge manager about USDA shooting hogs from helicopters, and even forbids USDA from overflying his property. We've tried to get an investigation going (even night operations) and it's getting us no where. "Rumors" have it, that a group from Louisville was coming down and running hogs with dogs.....this crap is totally mind bogling! I guess this is what I get for working there.....one big az headache! That's the federal government though!

WD, they aren't just north of the river anymore. I was hunting an area south of the river during Muzzleloader season and found unmistakable hog sign. This wasn't on the refuge, but is managed by JG's employer. Well, it's supposed to be managed by them, it doesn't get many patrols. Not that it matters, we can't shoot them there either. My guess is that "the management" doesn't even know there is a population of hogs in there.

I was surprised to find sign south of the river, I haven't heard about anyone seeing a hog in the area. My guess is that they have been released there. It's not impossible that they swam the river, but highly unlikely. I figure that since the refuge is getting attention, that they found another place to establish a population.

It is still legal to shoot them if they attack me, right? :popcorn: Have you ever seen that South Park episode? "Look out, he's coming right for us!"

We know they are south of the river. On a WMA even. Except TWRA don't believe you when you report it. You get the usual "we have no reports of hogs in that area. We'll notify our Biologist". No reports of hogs in the area? What the H*** do you think I'm reporting? Me and Kiley was fishing the south side of the refuge, and a big black boar with about 3 inch teeth walked across the sleugh right in front of us. Yet they will deny that any hogs still remain on the refuge. I know hog sign when I see it.....those Porkers are every where.....and more is on the way! Gosh, I can't wait until next years hog season!!!!

Guest Oldyardog

Is my thinking right on this? If I had some land and it happen to have some hogs on it. I could get 10 helpers to shoot the hogs. If my helpers wanted to give me $500 each for my birthday why I could pay off my land sooner or take a nice trip. All I would have to do is fill out a form or two. I think I will see if there are any hog sighns on my land yet.

Guest GunTroll

Makes me think of a Stossel episode I saw a while back called unintended consequences on FBN. The Gov on all levels has these "great" ideas and the end result is darn near allways a flop with a few winners (really winning big) and many losers. There is no way to possibly write enough words down on paper to eliminate the "grey" operating area between the black and white of our regs/laws. Just like on the national level the states and in this case TWRA really failed to understand the concept of freedom, land owner rights, and IMO game management for the long term. I guess we will see....until then welcome to our new regulation society concept my fellow hunters.

This whole reg stinks of catering to you rich white land owners :) . It just seems that if you have hogs, and are a land baron a simple management program could guarantee you hog numbers for years to come. 10 hunters paying a fee to hunt a large parcel of land could be quite lucrative indeed.

This whole reg stinks of catering to you rich white land owners :) . It just seems that if you have hogs, and are a land baron a simple management program could guarantee you hog numbers for years to come. 10 hunters paying a fee to hunt a large parcel of land could be quite lucrative indeed.

Entrepreneurial ideas are spinning all about my brain...