Looking at Getting a 1911

DannyP

Looking at the Para Gi Expert or the Rock Island Tactical. Entry level 1911 45. Been readying reviews online, i'm going to go check them out this weekend. Just wanted to see if anyone has shot either one or has any input for me. Thanks

Danny

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my para. The mags that came with it were the source of its early woes, easy enough to fix that. Well made and tightly put together. They gave great service when their unbreakable extractor broke, mailing me one overnight and walking me thru install process over the phone. With new mags and extractor, I have had many hundreds of trouble free rounds and excellent accuracy out of mine. I have the SSP model, but I think that is just the GI with a match barrel and a hole drilled in the trigger.

I have the Para SSP in covert black. Several hundred rounds so far and no problems. Finish seems a bit easy to wear but I kind of like the broke in look. Plus it will give me an excuse to cerakote it fde once it's completely worn out. If you get stainless you won't have that issue.

Also I have shot rock islands and they seem good too. A little looser than my para but went bang everytime. You will probably be served well by either. All I've shot is ball in both as I carry a g19 so haven't tested the 1911 for carry yet with hollowpoints.

Guest Schulzie

I had a Para P14-45. It ran perfectly, however the double stack body was just too big to be any fun for me. I would have kept if had it been a single stack. I would buy a Para again, or the Springfield Armory Range Officer. I shot USPSA and the set up is perfect.

Go for the RIA, they are getting quite a good reputation. I was told (can't verify though) that they use the old Colt dies and equipment to manufacturer them. In any event they are a very good value it seems. I had a Para once, but that's all I'll say here.

Those Filipinos have been making fine handguns for a long time. I do believe they are using old Colt tooling that Colt left behind. If I had to choose between the two I would go with the Rock, although Paras are made in America, in North Carolina. Since you didn't ask I will not try to talk you into buying a Colt. :D

Also I have shot rock islands and they seem good too. A little looser than my para but went bang everytime. You will probably be served well by either. All I've shot is ball in both as I carry a g19 so haven't tested the 1911 for carry yet with hollowpoints.

Nothing wrong with a little looseness in a 1911. They were actually designed to be a little loose so as not to be affected by dirt and powder build up, by JMB. That's the reason they went 6000 rounds without a hiccup back in 1909 at the Army trials. They were also designed to be combat accurate and not as tack drivers. It was only later that people began to work on making them accurate by tightening them up and building them with closer tolerances. I doubt that my Springfield Loaded Edition could go 6000 rounds without a hiccup. At some point powder foul would probably get it. It's pretty tight. It also shoots a lot more accurate than the old rack grade, military 1911a1s I shot in the Army in the 80's. However Minute of Man is all you were looking for there, not X's.

Edited by Moped

Buying a foreign made 1911 is sacrilege. As a matter of fact I think it was commandment 11 or 12 before the publishers made them shorten the list to 10. :shrug:

I think Remington R1 is under $600 and made here. I haven’t got to shoot one yet though.

Nothing wrong with a little looseness in a 1911. They were actually designed to be a little loose so as not to be affected by dirt and powder build up, by JMB. That's the reason they went 6000 rounds without a hiccup back in 1909 at the Army trials. They were also designed to be combat accurate and not as tack drivers. It was only later that people began to work on making them accurate by tightening them up and building them with closer tolerances. I doubt that my Springfield Loaded Edition could go 6000 rounds without a hiccup. At some point powder foul would probably get it. It's pretty tight. It also shoots a lot more accurate than the old rack grade, military 1911a1s I shot in the Army in the 80's. However Minute of Man is all you were looking for there, not X's.

Very nice post. I have a Remington R1. Very good, standard 1911 that I have put several thousand rounds through. Very reliable, and an excellent carry gun if you want a 1911. It is 'combat' accurate.

Just got back from the gun shop, they didn't have a para Gi Expert but did have the RIA tactical with the rail 2011 model. I think i'm sold on it. I'm pretty sure thats going to be my next handgun, felt nice, trigger felt really nice. Thanks for your input guys

Danny

Guest dgadeken512

I have several 1911s, including Springfield Champions and Kimbers. I have 2 RI that shoot just as great and were a 3d of the price. Rock island has my vote.

Ihave a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec and it is very reliable and I have had no malfunctions at all . And it is a very good platform for modifications. I removed the ILS and replaced it with a Wilson Combat MSH .

It is made in America , not in Brazil like the other S.A. 1911's.