moving and how or who to move a 500lb gun safe

Guest 1817ak47

Guest 1817ak47

ok, I dunno when I will be moving but it might be soon. any advice on who or what I could rent to move my 500lb empty weight safe and 500 wood stove. I have stairs on my porch too

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our *very* heavy safe took a moving company with a large truck and a bobcat forklift to move. 2 men and a truck or similar places should be able to move a 500 pounder, but you have to tell them exactly what you want done before they come over. I tried that first and it became 4 men and 2 trucks, so they are willing to call in a second team (did not help on the 4k pounder, but they did put in a good try).

Guest Lester Weevils

Due to my house built on a slope, front porch and residential floor is "three steps" above ground level, but the back yard is level with the basement. To make it worse there is retaining wall and wood privacy fence separating the front top ground level from the back low ground level. Makes it crazy inconvenient to get something heavy out of the front driveway into the basement or vice-versa.

We had a hot tub on the back concrete pad that was torture for me and several young strong neighbors, laying plywood over the grass to handtruck that sucker all the way across the front yard, down steps, and all the way back across the back yard to put it in place. After many years the hot tub finally wore out and needed removal. I expected it to be equal torture getting the stupid thing out of the back yard, but we found a local hot tub company who did a great job because of special equipment. They had a nice truck with a crane lift built on the back. It was the size of a real big pickup truck. Bigger than a pickup but not near as big as most utility company crane trucks. The crane had a wireless control box so the guys could run the crane from 30 feet away or whatever.

They backed up as close possible to the fence but sayed on the front driveway, dropped the truck support legs, then steered that crane over the fence and under the power and ethernet lines that go to the shop. Strapped on that heavy-ass hot tub, lifted it up out of the back yard and steered it over the 6 foot wood fence and under the power wires, then set it on the truck bed, strapped it down and away they went. A tortuous job reduced to a half-hour easy chore.

Finding somebody with the right equipment ought to make safe-moving a lot easier.

beer must be involved. Anytime something is moved there must be beer.

My first thought when I read the OP was friends some burgers and beer. If the safe proves too heavy, you didn't buy enough beer.

Just be wary of any comment resembling "Hey ya'll, what if we tried this...."

Guest Lester Weevils
My first thought when I read the OP was friends some burgers and beer. If the safe proves too heavy, you didn't buy enough beer.

Just be wary of any comment resembling "Hey ya'll, what if we tried this...."

Along the same lines, it may be a bad idea to have a video camera in the vicinity. :)

beer must be involved. Anytime something is moved there must be beer.

Do not forget the pizza!

Um. Seriously, I think you are going to have to use professional movers, unless you want to run the risk of hurting yourself, or others moving these

Guest 1817ak47

can a person rent a battery powered stair climber dolly rig??? I have 3 different sets of steps, 2 sets are 6 steps, and another is 3. all are 90 degrees from the next.

We have two vendors here who sell safes and likely can help you move any safe you already have. I'd try them.

Don't know if Mark and Scott will move your old safe for you...but I did visit The Safe House today. And they do have a nice selection on hand. It may have been the right thing to do at the wrong time. The Browning Prosteel is calling...loudly.