LE Duty Handguns in the State of TN

Patton

Guest Ghost Maker

Couple of quick things I can add as a retired cop:

Last word I heard was UTPD (Knoxville): Glock 23's for patrol and 27's for detectives.

The issue with KPD going with Sig's is really controversial. There is apparently questions being raised about the validity of KPD's claims about Glock issues AND the dollars quoted by the Chief. That issue is being looked into not only from inside the local government but as by the local press according to reports.

The Tennessee Law Enforcement Training Academy (TLEA), the academy I graduated from, transfered out from underneath the Department of Safety and was placed under the Deparment of Commerce and Insurance (why I do not know!). Previously they had utilized Glock 31's due to close affliation with THP. They have now switched to Glock 21's for issue to their training staff. Don't be surprised if more G21's start cropping up as the firearms instructor there is WELL respected. When they left from under the TDS they made the change per internal choice from my understanding.

The Glock 31, according to information I was given, is seeing some in-roads across the state. THP is reportedly very happy with the 357 Sig and its performance against vehicles, barriers, and suspects. I have heard 2nd hand reports on at least 2 or 3 shootings and the results have been spectacular to say the least. Gold Dot ammo continues to be a major duty load but the Remington Golden Sabre is getting some attention as well.

City of Knoxville officers will not get Sigs until August or later.

Since their awesome deal to trade everything in did not include ammunition guess what?  They went before City council last week requesting $450K more.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
Guest LittleBear571
I talked to a few thp troopers last night who were talking aBout how much they are loving the 357 SIG round. They all had Remington brand ammunition.
  • 4 weeks later...

This is cool! What about a thread that tells what ammo each law enforcement agency is carrying?

That is probably constantly changing. I have seen more Federal stuff around south and east TN than anything else. I know at one time Chattanooga was using 230gr Gold Dots but had some serious concerns with one of the last OIS, poor to no expansion
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest CCPT
Nashville Metro only issues G22 as the service weapon. Detectives can carry 23's or 27's, and the list of approved back-ups is too long to post. The issued service ammo is Speer Gold Dot, 165 gr.
  • 2 weeks later...
Soddy-daisy police love the hk. I'm in the fire department and go to range with them frequently I'm happy that our city didn't care for cost but of course not a big department like Knoxville.
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest The Itis

Is it possible to get an idea of what ammo PDs use?

I read that using ammo that is identical or similar to what your local police department uses looks better should you ever be in a courtroom to defend your shooting another person (as opposed to reloads and whatnot, where you could be made out to be a mad scientist designing super deadly bullets for extreme carnage, etc)

That's a difficult task, a lot harder than just glancing at a holster occasionally. I have probably seen more Federal brand hollow points than anything in Tennessee. Chattanooga PD is using 45acp 200 gr Federal Hydra Shoks, if you use something other than a 45 you supply your own ammo. THP last I heard was using Remington Golden Sabers. Most of your smaller departments make officers buy their own ammo or the departments buys whatever they can get.

I sometimes wonder who Glock slept with to get all these government contracts. Its a good gun, but not the best, nor the cheapest.

Which respecatable manufacturers are cheaper than Glock? They may not be the best but their price is hard to beat, especially for LEO's.

• Like 1
Knoxville switched to sig p220's today. Was speaking with a patrol seargent last night, and he was also a glock Armourer. I won't use his name, but he did say they had trouble from the 4th gen glocks, and that Craigs Firearms had told them and they were on a 5 year service life program. When that came to light, Craigs supposedly changed their story to a longer service life,as it would benefit them much more for Knoxville to stick with Glock. He was very excited to get the new Sig's in .45 and I can't say a blame him, though I'm an open tupperware hater. :lol:

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

• Like 1

Knoxville switched to sig p220's today. Was speaking with a patrol seargent last night, and he was also a glock Armourer. I won't use his name, but he did say they had trouble from the 4th gen glocks, and that Craigs Firearms had told them and they were on a 5 year service life program. When that came to light, Craigs supposedly changed their story to a longer service life,as it would benefit them much more for Knoxville to stick with Glock. He was very excited to get the new Sig's in .45 and I can't say a blame him, though I'm an open tupperware hater. :lol:

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Just because you're unable to forge polymer doesn't mean you should hate it.

I'm still looking for my expiration date on my glock.