LE Duty Handguns in the State of TN

Patton

Fairview Chief of Police.  He's easy to get along with, but he smokes more weed than you could haul in a dump truck.  

For the popo's to choose such an odd ball caliber is no real surprise.  I know a couple cops out here and I am darn glad they are on the force and glad to know them.  Good cops.  

There's a few out here who feel the need to whip it out regularly and compare lengths.  

• Like 1

Does Fairview not use a Glock 22? Even if it is 357 sig wouldn't consider than an odd caliber, used by more than 10% of agencies in TN and probably the United States.

I would if for no other reason than the bottle-neck case. I can't think of one advantage to that cartridge from a reloading, efficiency or cost perspective.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll specify TDOC.  Correctional Officers qualify with the S&W 64 and the Winchester 870 (I know this forum is handguns, but that's just an FYI) and some of the transportation officers carry the Glock 22.  Field services (Probation and Parole) are in the process of being armed http://www.wate.com/story/22249033/tennessee-to-become-one-of-the-last-states-to-arm-parole-and-probation-officers and are and will be carrying the Glock 22.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Visiting family in Franklin, TN this week and have noticed several city officers but couldn't really make out their sidearm, looked like a Glock. Can anybody confirm (didn't see them on the list)? On a side note, I was impressed to see a moto-officer with a 14" barreled 870 on his motorcycle. Very cool.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Skyline034
Franklin PD carries mostly Glock 22's and 23's, with a few officers sporting 1911's at their discretion. SWAT is issued Glock 35's.
  • 1 month later...

Spring Hill is changing over from 2004 issued 40cal Glocks to Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm.

Via there Facebook page posted 9/17/2014.

"It's time for Spring Hill Police to purchase new service weapons for its officers, and the department has found a way to save taxpayers money over the long haul while better equipping its force. Officers' existing .40 caliber Glocks (issued in 2004) will be traded in for new Smith & Wesson 9MM handguns. Ammo for the 9MM is significantly cheaper, more readily available and will yield a notable savings as officers must frequently fire their weapons at the firing range as part of their ongoing training. The 9MM also has less recoil, generally resulting in greater shot accuracy. The photo shows one of the existing Glocks, many of which are wearing out or breaking."

10648230_559245587515328_402436005706706

• 1 month later...

a lot of agencies across the US are going back to 9MM from what I read including the FBI, as the 9MM round has not ever been the issue, it was the bullet itself and bullet technology as advanced a lot since the 80's and the 9/40/45 are all pretty much on equal footing, and 9MM as stated is way cheaper to practice with.

Goodlettsville PD is supposed to be going to a universal platform gun, probably a Glock from what I have been told and they are going to 9MM also

I wonder how much Glocks will disappear with Beretta coming here to TN? I am pretty sure in all of the "incentives" that was offered by the State, cheap to free pistols and other firearms in return were probably part of the deal I would suspect

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a Berry Hill cop carrying a 1911 last night. Is a 1911 standard anywhere? I figured it's probably his own gun.

Some Knoxville PD officers are carrying Sig 1911's now...swat guys or something like that.  The rest are carrying some other type of Sig .45

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest 1076TSW
Chattanooga PD had been carrying S&W 4566TSW and 4513TSW.

They have transitioned to the Sig P220.

There might be a few of the S&Ws still around, but not many, if any.

Unless a personally owned gun, they never had 4506s issued.