LE Duty Handguns in the State of TN

Patton

It does seem like the majority of CPD had the 4566 TSW at the end of the S&W era.. Some of my friends and relatives all had 4506, but I think they were issued them in the early 90's. I have not seen a 3rd gen S&W auto at CPD in several years;I assume they are all gone.

Amazing how Glock dominates.  Would have expected a few more M&Ps.  Wonder about Beretta moving to TN and if that will have any impact on sidearm choice.  Plenty of M9 variants and I love my 92...not sure what kind of sidearm a Beretta Storm is though....wonder if the Storm is considered by any police agencies....

Amazing how Glock dominates.  Would have expected a few more M&Ps.  Wonder about Beretta moving to TN and if that will have any impact on sidearm choice.  Plenty of M9 variants and I love my 92...not sure what kind of sidearm a Beretta Storm is though....wonder if the Storm is considered by any police agencies....

I love my Storm. I carry a .40 when I do work and swear by it. It's next to my bed at night. No misfires, stovepipes, or any other malfunctions. All around hardy gun.

I saw a Berry Hill cop carrying a 1911 last night. Is a 1911 standard anywhere? I figured it's probably his own gun.

I believe that Knoxville Police Department issues a Sig 1911 to SWAT trained officers.  I had some interaction (read negotiation) with a Monroe County officer a few years ago that carried a 1911 but I believe he told me it was an authorized, personally owned weapon.

• 2 months later...

Loudon County and Loudon Police Department both issue the Glock 22.

I would guess that the Glock 22 is still the most popular issue pistol for American Police Departments. Even with the recent increases in popularity of 9mm,and M&P and the continued popularity of Sig Sauer.
When I went through the armors course several years ago we were told the G22 was the most common in the US. Next was the G21 or the G19. If Glock knows they are not willing to release the numbers and choose to keep it secret. While the G17 is the most sold Glock in the world, it is not as common in the US.

While the G22 does appear to be number one, we have a large .357 Sig following in our state. We still have departments adopting it. Since Georgia State Patrol dumped their GAPs for G17 I will be curious to see if any of the other Georgia departments go to 9mm. I only know of a couple that have 9mm south of us.
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The TBI special agents will be switching Glock 19 and Glock 43 as their primary and backups as of Spring 2017. I'm not positive about the time-frame for replacing the 23 and 27's issued to current special agents, but the new agents are switching to 9mm's more like the FBI. 

1 hour ago, admathi said:

The TBI special agents will be switching Glock 19 and Glock 43 as their primary and backups as of Spring 2017. I'm not positive about the time-frame for replacing the 23 and 27's issued to current special agents, but the new agents are switching to 9mm's more like the FBI. 

Yeah, I have heard that too.  I work for a state agency that often adopts policies and practices of the TBI, but apparently we are sticking with the 23's for now. 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/4/2015 at 12:48 AM, shotgunshooter said:

As far as I know (from what I have been told) the Dickson Police Department can carry anything Glock and some have TLR-1s on their guns. The Dickson County Sheriff's Office also can carry anything Glock (also from what I hear). 

Talked to a Dickson Police Dept Detective last week, he said the current regulation is every officer carry a Glock 23 as their primary. He said this was due to if something big went down, officers could share mags. He said there was also talk of them going to 9mm, but nothing official yet. 

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/3/2022 at 9:53 AM, TheLulz said:

I find this very interesting, because I don't know that I've ever seen any Springfield guns listed by name as an official duty weapon of any US agency ever.  

Not that they're not great guns, just never seen it. 

I would love to hear if they still have them.  Signal Mountain PD had XD45 for about eight years before going to Glock in 2019. Springfield 1911s are very popular duty weapons, but I will admit it’s an entirely different scenario. 

Edited by Patton
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Glock has convinced most LE agencies to switch to 9mm since it "almost" performs as well as .40. Their words... 

Many agencies have switched to the 17s. Not sure why as it seems the 45 would be the perfect duty handgun length for patrol so the muzzle isn't digging into the vehicle seat putting unneeded torque on the officers spine. 

Speaking of manufactures, it was interesting that LAPD went with the FN 509 handguns.