HTML Code Tapatalk Issue

BPE

Recently when I make a reply or post that includes a blank line, the HTML code is shown in the post. If I choose to edit the post and just press save without changing anything the <br/> tags are removed and blank lines remain as expected. Any ideas?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if it is related or not but my work laptop is a bit paranoid (high security settings) and I cannot put in a blank line from it using IE. I can with portable drive firefox which has more relaxed settings. You probbly cannot tell but I am going to try it here so you can look at it. This line was produced after 4 enter keys from the above text. It will appear at the end of the above text.

Ok - my apologies - it must be something with the Tapatalk app. I rarely get to browse on this forum from a PC but took the time to double check today. With the test above when originally posted the markup still showed in Tapatalk - even after FC of the app - but not through a browser (Chrome, FireFox, IE, Opera - all tested). But a quick Edit and Save removed the markup in Tapatalk. I looked at the source through Firebug and there was no difference in the raw HTML before or after the edit as one might expect. Additionally, I think it is Tapatalk as the line feeds in Tapatalk are properly closed <br/> where the raw HTML code shown in Firebug in the blockquote is <br>. Regardless, it seems as though a browser renders as it should for everyone. Sorry for the bother and keep up the great work!

• Administrator

Well there's a few bugs lingering in the latest vBulletin version that we are running. It may be somehow related as they all seem to be centered around the WYSIWYG editor. I'm pushing them for an update as are a lot of other forum admins, but they're taking their sweet time.

...Additionally, I think it is Tapatalk as the line feeds in Tapatalk are properly closed <br/> where the raw HTML code shown in Firebug in the blockquote is <br>. ...

Just a note to confuse the matter more :) :

There is no closing tag spec for <BR> in HTML. <BR> or </BR> or <BR/> or <BR /> all behave the same, ie as a line break, as the "/" is ignored.

"<BR />" seems to be a closing spec in XHTML, though I don't know anything about XHTML.

- OS

OS: you are correct. <br/> is not required by HTML standards but is by XHTML. In good practice it has generally been adopted in HTML although not spelled out by W3C.

No, it just hasn't. Why? Because in HTML <br/> adds another line break, same as <br>. Try it.

And if it were used, the convention would be "</br>". End slashes go before the call in HTML. But that's not used in HTML either, because it too creates another line break. Try it.

- OS

Ok... Let's agree it depends upon the DOCTYPE you specify, as that is what defines the standards you are going to follow for the rest of the page. Defined in HTML 4.01 <br> is acceptable and fine. But that particular DOCTYPE is seeing less use these days except in specific cases. More often than not you will see a XHTML 1.0 DOCTYPE, similar to what is used here at TGO. When using this DOCTYPE <br /> is proper and <br> is not. And not every HTML tag has a closing tag at the beginning of the element. Empty elements such as BR or INPUT tags are closed within the starting tag. For instance, <input type="text"></input> is incorrect and may result in error in some browsers regardless of DOCTYPE. However, <input type="text" /> is properly closed. </br> is never correct as it closes the tag before opening it but it may still generate a new line break on the rendered output of your browser. That does not mean it will render that way in every browser.

In my statement..

In good practice it has generally been adopted in HTML although not spelled out by W3C.

I meant to convey that <br /> is used in plain HTML pages as well as it is good practice even though it is not a requirement of the specification.

All of this discussion is all quite silly unless you're attempting to pass W3C Validation and I don't think TGO gives a flip about that unless something breaks. I was simply pointing out in my original post mentioning the difference of <br> tags to note that the tags used in the source were not what I was seeing in Tapatalk and that lead me to believe the issue was with Tapatalk and not TGO directly.

I will check back for any responses you may have but will not be responding again unless in a more proper forum or PM. I'm not sure the mods want their Support Forum filled with the back of forth of where a forward slash belongs in HTML code. However, I do enjoy the conversation as it gives me pause to rethink my understanding of why things are the way they are. All in all - a good brain exercise.

...I will check back for any responses you may have but will not be responding again unless in a more proper forum or PM. I'm not sure the mods want their Support Forum filled with the back of forth of where a forward slash belongs in HTML code. However, I do enjoy the conversation as it gives me pause to rethink my understanding of why things are the way they are. All in all - a good brain exercise.

Agree, and not trying to get last word even though I might ('cause I just don't much care, and you are obviously quite more learned in various coding genres than moi, and my brain consists of ever decreasing neurons and synapses between them) BUT my response was in response to plain ole HTML and in that plain vanilla mark up environment, <br> <br/> <br /> </br>, indeed <br anything at all>, all do the same thing in IE and Firefox, the only two browsers in which I ever test anything (but would bet that most if not all other browsers do the same) -- that is, they all cause a line break.

That was my only assertion regarding that insertion although I'll also admonish against singin' Standin' on the Promises while sittin' on the premises. B)

Back to your regularly scheduled TGO trouble shooting forum (where that thar plain ole HTML inserted into a post here doesn't work anyway, even using the HTML BBC tags in my experience). B):)

[/sorry, Sober But Sleepless]

- OS