Ever eaten Dog?

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

We are so funny about animals here. In the Far east they eat them all the time and they are treated so very poorly, and here you can't even talk about shooting them justified or not. We annihilate deer with all sort of weapons. Cut through them and wait for them to bleed out over a sometimes long period of time with archery equipment. Place poor shoots upon them from high powered rifles and watch them drag their guts for hundreds of yards. But mentioning killing dogs, again justified or not is frowned upon.

I would eat one. Little ranch on the side...why not?

Close this one too! I swear.....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been to Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong and never seen dog on the menu. (Not disputing the OP. Just saying I never came across it.)

I have however, seen guinea pig on the menu in Peru. I haven't tried it yet...maybe next time.

We are so funny about animals here. In the Far east they eat them all the time and they are treated so very poorly, and here you can't even talk about shooting them justified or not. We annihilate deer with all sort of weapons. Cut through them and wait for them to bleed out over a sometimes long period of time with archery equipment. Place poor shoots upon them from high powered rifles and watch them drag their guts for hundreds of yards. But mentioning killing dogs, again justified or not is frowned upon.

I would eat one. Little ranch on the side...why not?

Close this one too! I swear.....

On a menu in China dog is listed as "Fragrant Meat". You can buy dogs in a market by the pound there, just like hamburger here.

Why do I even go to the trouble of opening and reading threads started by this guy.... ;)

I know a gunsmith that has enough dog to feed us all for a week or so, but that may actually be closer to horse meat once they are big enough to saddle.

Would you rather eat a pet dog or a wild coyote? It can't be any worse than chittlins or mountain oysters and I have eaten both of them.

Ate chihuahua in Chihuahua in the 60's. Just fine. Common among the indio folks, at least back then, but not in contemporary Mexican culture.

Theory down there is that little yapper dogs are ready to go pretty quick, not much investment in feeding them, but of course you don't get much meat per dog. Opposite theory in Asia where you fatten up a bigger breed longer.

Of course many of our own Native American tribes ate dog also.

- OS

Guest GunTroll
Why do I even go to the trouble of opening and reading threads started by this guy.... ;)

I know a gunsmith that has enough dog to feed us all for a week or so, but that may actually be closer to horse meat once they are big enough to saddle.

Would you rather eat a pet dog or a wild coyote? It can't be any worse than chittlins or mountain oysters and I have eaten both of them.

I'd rather eat neither. I love on one and sport kill the other.

Ate dog a few times back in the 70's & 80's while staying with some American Indian friends out West. First time I tried it, I was hungry and broke and darned glad to get it. After that, I almost developed a fondness for it. Believe me there's worse things to eat - just ask anyone who ever ate my ex-wife's cooking! ;)

...TS...

Guest Lester Weevils

Unfortunately, can't find a better picture on the web.

The animal hospital has since moved, but this is when Choo Choo Barbeque and Emergency Animal Clinic shared a parking lot.

emergency-bbq.JPG

Guest lostpass

I'd only eat criminal dogs that deserved to die.

Gosh, Mike i've had goat stew that was okay before. Though I wouldn't call it something I'd actively seek out.

I get why people won't eat dogs, it is hard to eat something you see as a pet or as a useful worker. I've got a distant in law who won't eat beef because he raises cows and says they all have a personality. Pork and chicken are no problem cause he doesn't raise them.

Though, to counter my own point, my wife had a pet rooster as a child. That rooster pecked her and guess who was sunday dinner that week. Which explains why I leave the toilet seat down.

Guest adamoxtwo

I was in Korea and had it. It was a little greasy but overall not bad. I didn't think it tasted like Chicken....more like bad beef. Got the t-shirt won't have it again.

Guest Lester Weevils

Goat was about my favorite when I'd go to Mexico. There were lots of texmex places both sides of the border, but goat wasn't very often on the menu north of the rio grande.

On the menu was Cabrito (baby goat) and sometimes Cabron (which I was led to believe adult goat). Greasy but good.

This article mentions Cabrito, but I can't find any english-language descriptions of Cabron--

Goat meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Several Spanish-English dictionary pages merely define Cabrito as "kid" not mentioning the baby goat part at all. So eating roast kids puts an entirely different perspective on it.

Old dad reminisced that back in rural central AL in the 1930's, barbeque was synonymous with goat, and if you had a goat it was advisable to lock it up somewhere safe around the fourth of july.

I saw dog jerky for sale at a small convenient store in China when I was there this past summer. My mom has eaten dog and she said it was pretty good. She grew up on a farm in Hong Kong. I don't recall if it was in HK that she had it or if she had it on the mainland...and yes I'm Chinese and I have no problem with eating dog meat. Meat is meat!