Ever eaten Dog?

Guest GunTroll

Guest Lester Weevils
Be careful with that word "cabron" if you are in spanish speaking community on either side of the border!

- OS

Thanks OhShoot. Ah Cisco! The gringos are so stoopid! :)

Found a reference--

Spanish profanity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cabrón (lit.: "big goat" or "stubborn goat") is used in Spain, Mexico, Cuba and Puerto Rico, as a generic insult. An old usage is similar to that of "pendejo", namely, to imply that the subject is stubborn or in denial about being cheated, hence the man has "horns" like a goat (extremely insulting).

In Spain Spanish (original Spanish), the meaning is an adult male goat. Cabra is an adult female goat.

The Mexican Spanish version is very offensive as it means "****er" and other insults in English. The seven-note musical flourish known as a shave and a haircut (two bits), commonly played on car horns, is associated with the seven-syllable phrase ¡Chinga tu madre, cabrón! (**** your mother, *******!). Playing the jingle on a car horn can result in a hefty fine for traffic violation if done in the presence of police, or road rage if aimed at another driver or a pedestrian.[9]

The expression ¡Ah cabrón! is used sometimes when one is shocked/surprised by something. Among close friends, the term is often inoffensive; however, it is not a word to be used casually with strangers.

As an adjective it is equivalent to "tough" as "It is tough" (Está cabrón).

To some extent, it can also be used with an ironically positive connotation meaning great, amazing, phenomenal, or bad-ass. Such expressions would be said as: ¡Estás cabrón! or ¡Yo soy cabrón!. The word is quite flexibly used in Puerto Rico, and it can even have completely opposite meanings depending on the context. Best friends call each other "cabrón" in a friendly manner, while it may also be used in an offensive manner. One might say, "Esta cabrón" to describe something as very good or very bad depending on the circumstance.

In Panama, it is used as an adjective to mean something/someone very annoying (that pisses you off). The verb cabrear can mean "to piss off (someone)."

In Peru, cabro is a reference to a homosexual, hence cabrón is a superlative form ("big ******"/"flaming ******").

The term cabrón also means a handler of prostitutes, comparable to "pimp" in English. The most common way to refer to a pimp is Spanish is by using the term chulo as a noun. In some countries chulo can be used as an adjective somewhat equivalent to "cool" (Ese hombre es un chulo = "That man is a pimp" versus Ese libro es chulo = "That book is cool"). The word chula is a completely benign reference to an adorable female or feminine object, as in "¡Ay, que chula!"

Strange that the word would be on the menu in "upscale" border town restaurants back in the 1970's, unless the slang has drifted in meaning in the intervening 40 years.

"Big Goat" seems pretty descriptive on a menu which also includes "baby goat". In English "Old Goat" has been common because old male humans get grumpy and stubborn about the same as vintage goats, though as far as I can tell it hasn't devolved into an outright insult in English. :)

Edited by Lester Weevils
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife is Korean she wont eat it but ,my brother in law and I went to market and he bought a shepard ( some where I have pics of them on table but 25+ yrs I would have to dig deep for them) he boiled then fried not bad didnt taste like chicken fixed spicey with rice and kimchi. If I where to go back i'd try it again but here no tomany chest beaters here.

Guest cardcutter

I had it back in 83 when I was in Japan. I asked what it was, in the middle of my third helping,so it was a Little late for complaints then.

I loved the line in the Patriot when a guy says " lets burn the wagon and eat the dogs." the good Reverend turns pale and several look at him and say " Oh yea dog is a fine meal."

Cabron is usually slang, Cabra is usually goat. Cabrito is good. We used to bbq a young goat every year when I was a kid. There was an annual volunteer firemen's dinner and it always included different foods. Carbrito, chittlins, fried mountain oysters (both hog and rooster) deer, quail, dove, rabbit, raccoon, wild ducks, wild turkey, turtles, fish, crawdads, ect.

As of the the few kids that ever attended, I was constantly tested to see what a kid would eat. They would first try to gross me out with some chittlins, but when that didn't phase me they would start with the spicy hot stuff. It definitely expanded my horizons.

Dad did numerous church mission trips to Haiti in the past. He said there were plenty of occasions in which they were served "meat" prepared in various ways for dinner. There was a tacit understand among the group that you simply didn't ask.

What about horse? Congress recently changed the law to allow horses to be bred for food. I had a bacon wrapped horse filet while in Italy several years ago. It was excellent!

I served in Korea in the 90's, and yes, I ate the doggie. The most popular "dog-dish" there is pronounced Kay-gogi or Ka-gogi depending on the region. I found it to be pretty good on two occasions and nasty on the third occasion. It's like a lot of things, depends on how it's made.

Could not be worse than goat

I saw this thread and had to contribute. I ate some dog parts 10 years ago. It was day or two roadkill but it was cold enough that it wasn't too bad yet. Goat is far worse. I hate goat. As I type this I can almost taste goat flavor as I disgust over it. I can honestly say that I've eaten damn near every part of a goat and none of it is good. If goat was the last animal on earth I'd become a vegetarian.

Guest ochretoe

About 18 years ago some friends and I were setting snares for yotes and we got a dog. Usually dogs lay down in snares and don't die. This one was dead. We skinned it and it looked like a little bear rug. Since we were camping and doing the longhunter/mountain man thing we decided to cook it. I followed an old recepit from a mountain man cook book. Boiled, then grilled. Not great, a bit stringy but I could live on it for a while. Just in case you are wondering, it was not a pet. We were way back in the boonies.

I worked in Latin America for over 30 years and have had dog many times. All those cute little puppies you see visiting remote tribes on your church's mission trip . . . . That's just keeping the meat fresh until it's needed. The reduction in the size of hunting lands for those groups who historically hunted for food has forced the indians to adapt. Restrictive gun laws have taken away shotguns from many groups that used them ever since they were first introduced. Blowguns with poison tip darts are back replacing guns. The dog meat I've always had was spiced up in tacos or something so the taste wasn't that bad. "Cabron" is indeed a word you don't use in polite company, but you will find it on menus in finer restaurants. It is just an older goat. Cabeza de Cabron or head of goat is something some gringo always ordered just for the yuck factor.

Cherokee Slim

Guest jackdm3

I eat to survive. I've probably eaten feline and canine. A cousin of mine in St. Pete worked at a Vietnamese restaurant and assures me the practice is commonplace when they come around the back alleys. Braving a EOTWAWKI situation, I'd consider eating anything short of rotting meat. ANY meat. Beyond 4-legged sorts. When taken out of the comfort of our computer chairs, I bet several here would relinquish as well. Let the flaming commence.

Guest G-Pa Glynn

When I was in Turkey I ate off base just about every meal. Not sure if I was eating Water Buffaloe, dog, camel, or beef. Didn't care, it was all good.

Guest GunTroll
I have never ate it here...since killing dogs in Tennessee is a CRIMINAL ACT....I just buy beef, chicken and pork. Will take a few rabbits and such though....

Shut this thread down already.....

We are so funny about animals here. In the Far east they eat them all the time and they are treated so very poorly, and here you can't even talk about shooting them justified or not. We annihilate deer with all sort of weapons. Cut through them and wait for them to bleed out over a sometimes long period of time with archery equipment. Place poor shoots upon them from high powered rifles and watch them drag their guts for hundreds of yards. But mentioning killing dogs, again justified or not is frowned

The harvest of deer is authorized by proclomation of the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commision. Therefore, there is a season placed upon them and enforced by the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency.

There is NO SEASON on dogs, feral or otherwise in the state of Tennessee. So, therefore, the harvesting (killing) of dogs, is a criminal act in this state. Terms of service of TGO does NOT permit the discussion of criminal acts.....!

Those of you who participate in dog killing for whatever little thrill you get are sick!!!

I'm through with the dog killing threads on this forum......

Oh settle down and take another swig. One could only hope you hold true to that last statement. The name of this thread is "ever eaten dog" and I then made my point(s) about our sensitivity in America (TN) and even here on TGO about our four legged friends. I'd like to see where anyone namely me, discussed illegal activities in this thread. Don't let the SME badge go to your head. Your responsibilities here are minor and voluntary.

Guest bkelm18

The harvest of deer is authorized by proclomation of the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commision. Therefore, there is a season placed upon them and enforced by the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency.

There is NO SEASON on dogs, feral or otherwise in the state of Tennessee. So, therefore, the harvesting (killing) of dogs, is a criminal act in this state. Terms of service of TGO does NOT permit the discussion of criminal acts.....!

Those of you who participate in dog killing for whatever little thrill you get are sick!!!

I'm through with the dog killing threads on this forum......

:poop: Too much drama. Where has anyone discussed anything illegal?

Guest jackdm3

In the interest of open discourse, I submit that several posters here have acknowledged their interesting dinings in foreign countries and THAT, I don't believe, violates C.O.C. here nor the norms of said countries.

I loved the line in the Patriot when a guy says " lets burn the wagon and eat the dogs." the good Reverend turns pale and several look at him and say " Oh yea dog is a fine meal."

As Old Lodge Skins tells Little Big Man on top of the mountain, "Let's go back to the teepee and eat, my son. My new snake wife cooks dog very well."

- OS