Rossi Circuit Judge...........fad or not?

I went out and shot mine some yesterday. I shot # 7 1/2 and # 8 bird-shot, from a 2 1/2 " shells. I fired 6 rounds, 2 each at 15 yards, 20 yards, and 25 yards. These were shot at 10" paper plates. The shot patterns were good out to 20 yards, with these low power shells. I didn't have any 3" shells with me.

I changed out the choke tubes, and shot 10 rounds of .45 Colt (Long Colt) factory ammo. All shots were with open sights at 45 yards. The accuracy was good. I've had eye surgery on my right (shootin' eye), but still was pleased with the off-hand shooting accuracy.

I can't wait to get to the range, where the environment is set up properly to shoot and test loads and my scope on it. I'm happy with it so far. Might even make a close in deer gun...brush gun.

When i'm at gun shows I seldom look at guns 9mainly just Davids tables and accesories and other random items), especially in the last couple of years but for some reason my eyes are drawn to the CJ's and I have to handle each one I come across. I always think "man, i'd love to have one of these" but like a few others have mentioned, there are many other firearms that are above it on my punch list. I would like to have one eventually so I hope you (OP) are right about them being a fad so that I am able to score one at a bigger discount when that time rolls around.

When i'm at gun shows I seldom look at guns 9mainly just Davids tables and accesories and other random items), especially in the last couple of years but for some reason my eyes are drawn to the CJ's and I have to handle each one I come across. I always think "man, i'd love to have one of these" but like a few others have mentioned, there are many other firearms that are above it on my punch list. I would like to have one eventually so I hope you (OP) are right about them being a fad so that I am able to score one at a bigger discount when that time rolls around.

Luke E, I see you're here in the B'oro. If you have a place to shoot, I'd be glad to bring my Circuit Judge over and let you shoot it.

I was told by a well known gunsmith in these parts, that a shot of a certain size, fired out of a .410 has the same pellet energy of the same size shot, at the same distance. He said all things being equal, the .410  shot will hit game just as hard as a 12 gauge shot at the same distance...but that there's just less pellets (shot). Interesting thought, even though I have 12 and 20 gauge guns also. Just thought I'd throw that in, for those concerned about the power of the .410 in the field.

What if you had a major malfunction like a double charge of powder? Do you really want the cylinder mere inchs from your face when it grenades?

Nope, first thing I thought of when I saw it. Only I thought about a cracked or split case getting set off. Is it likely? No, but I have reason to risk it.

Luke E, I see you're here in the B'oro. If you have a place to shoot, I'd be glad to bring my Circuit Judge over and let you shoot it.

I was told by a well known gunsmith in these parts, that a shot of a certain size, fired out of a .410 has the same pellet energy of the same size shot, at the same distance. He said all things being equal, the .410 shot will hit game just as hard as a 12 gauge shot at the same distance...but that there's just less pellets (shot). Interesting thought, even though I have 12 and 20 gauge guns also. Just thought I'd throw that in, for those concerned about the power of the .410 in the field.

That would be awesome! I've got a few farms that I shoot when I don't have time to go to the range so a place to shoot is no issue. I'll send you a pm.
Mount you a light on it and you have a halfway decent home defense carbine. I've never shot a .410 revolver, i.ve seen ads from Hornaday for some bad looking .410 defense loads with one big cone shape slug with 2-000buck behind it,looks like a pretty effective load for close range. Then of course 5-.45 Colt rounds aint bad either. You would have more control and maybe one to two hundred extra FPS from the longer barrell. I wouldn't mind having one, there's some practical uses and looks fun to plink with also. Edited by K191145
  • 2 weeks later...
I'd buy one in a heart-beat if they were chambered in something with a bit more oomph! I don't have a use for anything chambered in .410, however I'd really dig one chambered in .45-70, of course the cylinder would need to be massive as @#$%^ to accomidate the pressure.

I wish they would make a smooth bore Circuit Judge for .410 only. Then you wouldn't have the "donut effect" with the shot pattern. 

Will Carry, mine does not have a donut hole, with the .410 choke tube installed. Are you talking about the Judge? I'm not sure, but don't think it has changeable choke tubes. The .410 choke tube in the Circuit Judge, stops the shot from spinning in the rifle lands. Mine shoots a good pattern with bird shot.

Mount you a light on it and you have a halfway decent home defense carbine. I've never shot a .410 revolver, i.ve seen ads from Hornaday for some bad looking .410 defense loads with one big cone shape slug with 2-000buck behind it,looks like a pretty effective load for close range. Then of course 5-.45 Colt rounds aint bad either. You would have more control and maybe one to two hundred extra FPS from the longer barrell. I wouldn't mind having one, there's some practical uses and looks fun to plink with also.

K191145, mine came with a pistol grip, in case you'd like to remove the buttstock, for a home defense weapon.

In fact, mine is a lot of fun to shoot...but, I'm considering trading it for a Savage 24 chambered in .22 Hornet / 20 gauge, if I can find one. it would have to be a nice one, as my Circuit Judge is like new in the box, with a very low round count. I might just keep the Circuit Judge, and buy the .22 Hornet outright, if I could find a real nice one. I hate to part with the Circuit Judge, as it's so much fun, and I have over $500 in the package. But, I would part with it, if that's what it took to get that nice .22 Hornet / 20 Gauge, Savage 24 combination gun I want.

Edited by Sidewinder