FTF transaction

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Buyer and seller arrange a meeting in a mutually agreed place and time.

Pick a location known that you feel comfortable in, usually a parking lot in major business area. Walmart, K-mart, someplace with visiblity if you're unsure of the person. Exchange info on how to recognize each other, usually vehicle type.

Meet, inspect purchase, exchange money.

It's really that simple, just excercise caution as you would going into an unknown area and situation. Be aware of your surroundings and the person(s) you meet. Be discreetly armed if you so desire. Conduct yourself purposefully and watch the other person.

If it is possible, check the seller's posts here, the number of posts, does he seem liked, well-known, honest(?) in his dealings with other members, and his profile. Of course a person could put down anything on the profile page, so get a feel for him from your conversations and whatever info you can get here.

The seller will probably want to see a Tn liscence and or a HCP, possibly want you to sign a simple bill of sale. You may want one as well.

Most of all, just be aware and alert.

I've bought from several members here over the years, both locally and from some at a distance, without any problems. Perhaps I'm being niave, but I think 99%+ of the guys here are reputable, honest and above average people. But there's always that bad apple that can show up. Could be misrepresentation of himself or his merchandise. Just be aware fo yourself, him, and your surroundings.

Not trying to upset or scare, just be prudent in your actions in this as you would in anything else you do.

Others could probably say this better than me, but I tried.

Again, just be alert and aware. If something seems too good to be true... Or something bothers you about the meet...call the seller immediately. I assume you got a contact number?

Now go get your new gun.

hipower, thanks for the info.

So the bill of sale would simply for documentation so that he can't say its stolen or if the gun is ever used in a crime, there is a trail? Checking DLs to make sure the parties are 21?

The guy is actually on HKPRO. Don't know if he is a member on here, but his user name on HKPRO is HKIMMYBLOOD. Im waiting to hear back from him on my PM.

Also to verify TN residence. You cannot legally buy a handgun from someone out of state without getting an FFL involved.

RIght. Sounds like FTF is pretty simple, but there is no way of knowing if the gun is stolen, if you are selling to a convicted felon or whoever.

Guest bkelm18
RIght. Sounds like FTF is pretty simple, but there is no way of knowing if the gun is stolen, if you are selling to a convicted felon or whoever.

Right, and there's nothing illegal about that if you have no reason to believe the gun is stolen or that the person is a felon.

Correct on the Bill of Sale. It's not necessary from a legal perspective as far as the transfer of ownership goes. But it shows that the firearm changed hands and on what date.

Checking a DL isn't just the age and state, it also shows that the person is who they say they are. Does the name/address they gave you on the Bill of Sale match the DL? If not, something's not right.

Some sellers will require an HCP for an FTF sale. It serves the same purpose as a DL, and it also tells the seller that the buyer isn't a felon or otherwise prohibited from owership (at least they weren't when the HCP was issued). An HCP is about as close to going to a shop and having an FFL do the background check as you can get without actually going to the FFL.

Openly ask the questions

"are you a felon, or precluded from owning a firearm for any reason?"

"is this gun stolen?"

Don't just listen to the standard "no" answer, but look at his body language and make a sound judgement. You won't be held responsible if the guy lies to you about his status. And the only way to check if it's stolen is to have either LEO run the serial number or do an FFL transfer.

If you have a true concern, just do an FFL transfer and offer to pay for it, it's only $30 and 30 min time.

If it's during business hours you can call the Nashville Metro PD and give them the serial number. They can do an instant check in their system to see if it's in the database as stolen or used in a crime. That's not a national search, but local and the main thing is tell the guy your buying from that you want to do that. If he knows it's stolen that will be a deal breaker for him. I have bought and sold over a dozen firearms over the years without one question or concern about the seller or gun. It's not like the movies with a guy in an alley with an open trunk.

You might also want to be cautious when you inspect the firearm that you do so discreetly and if you don't have a HCP make sure you don't have any ammo on you or near the firearm when you store it to take it home.

Good info above,

they do have a download pdf form here on TGO in the classifide section if you so choose to use it.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/trading-post-notices-faqs/8-suggested-form-face-face-firearms-sale-transfer.html

Is it considered rude? Or make you look shady if you do not inform the other party of having company with you? There have been times when I have checked with the other person is that ok and there have been times when I haven't told them.

If it's during business hours you can call the Nashville Metro PD and give them the serial number. They can do an instant check in their system to see if it's in the database as stolen or used in a crime. That's not a national search, but local and the main thing is tell the guy your buying from that you want to do that. If he knows it's stolen that will be a deal breaker for him. I have bought and sold over a dozen firearms over the years without one question or concern about the seller or gun. It's not like the movies with a guy in an alley with an open trunk.

You might also want to be cautious when you inspect the firearm that you do so discreetly and if you don't have a HCP make sure you don't have any ammo on you or near the firearm when you store it to take it home.

I assume you can do this with any PD? I have not done this before. Can't be too safe.

Is it considered rude? Or make you look shady if you do not inform the other party of having company with you? There have been times when I have checked with the other person is that ok and there have been times when I haven't told them.

I wouldn't say it's rude, but if I'm selling a gun and a guy rolls up and three dudes get out, I'm nervous already. Inform the seller, and don't bring more than one. remember it's a two way street.

I don't know that I'd consider it rude, maybe prudent. But anytime I go to a meet, I tell someone where I'm going and leave them the same info I get. Then I'll call that person to tell them the deal is done. There have been a couple of times, because of the location, that I have asked someone to go along, but I have, wise or not, usually informed the other party that someone would be with me.

This is when it's someone I don't know or haven't dealt with before.

I wouldn't say it's rude, but if I'm selling a gun and a guy rolls up and three dudes get out, I'm nervous already. Inform the seller, and don't bring more than one. remember it's a two way street.

No definitely not more than one and I know I would feel cornered (with maybe even just one person on the other persons end) since I would never have the intentions of causing harm in any form (now that I said it online you all know I'm legit lol). I have only dealt with one FTF transaction, it happened to be from this website. The member has been on here since 2008 or 2009 I can't remember but only has 9 posts so I was a little nervous from the low post count. I brought a friend without telling and he turned out to be a real stand up guy and I had a nice firearm conversation with after the transaction. You just never know who or what you are going to run into. I've been meaning to do the iTrader Rating since I will probably buy a 9mm on here within the next six months but haven't looked up how to do it.

Edit: I really need to get my HCP to help smooth out this process with buyers too and incase I ever decide to carry. I'm seeing that December 17th fits nicely into my schedule!

• Administrator

As others have stated, one of the most important things for me is that I meet the person someplace public and very visible. I also make sure that I do not go alone and that both I and whomever is with me are armed. I've never had a problem but I never want to either.

Also just for safety measures bring somebody with you. Inspecting a gun puts you in a vulnerable position. Whether you decide to tell the seller/buyer is up to you.

Always take another party. I usually take my son or my brother. And we're always armed.