Opinion: What is the best John Wayne movie of all time?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest capt usa

There have been a lot of good picks but I lean towards these as favorites:

The Cowboys

True Grit

Red River with Montgomery Clift (James Arness did a remake)

My favorite is El Dorado. Another one I like but won't get much love is Hellfighters.

My wife and I watched Hellfighters last month (her first viewing of it), it's one of his best outside the western and war genres. Too many war movies to list but for westerns I'd pick The Searchers 1st, the Shootist 2nd and a whole bunch tied for 3rd.

Best John Wayne story I'll repeat, according to oft repeated Hollywood lore:

When he played the centurion at the foot of the cross in Greatest Story Ever Told, he only had a line or two, and it was bad enough to hear a Roman speak in a cowboy drawl, but his rendition of the line "Surely this man was the son of God" had director Stevens make him do it over and over.

Supposedly at one point Stevens said, "Duke, try to put a little awe in there". So Wayne gamely intones, "Aww, surely this man was the son of God." !

If it ain't true, it should be. :cool:

- OS

"What do you want me to do? Draw you a picture? Spell it out? Don't ever ask me! Long as you live, don't ever ask me more!!". Ethan Edwards. The Searchers.

True Grit:

Ned Pepper: What's your intention? Do you think one on four is a dogfall?

Rooster Cogburn: I mean to kill you in one minute, Ned. Or see you hanged in Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience. Which'll it be?

Ned Pepper: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.

Rooster Cogburn: Fill your hands, you son of a bitch!