Armed Security Certification

I am looking to acquire my Armed Security certification soon and would like any info on training classes in the Middle TN area. So far, the main places I have found are A.P.P.S. (Nashville), Academy of Self-Protection (Joelton) and On Target (M'boro). Are there others in the area, and how is their quality of instruction.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shooting Coach

Some companies pay for the training and your time. Look around and go with a reputable company. Or, you might call several companies and see who they use to certify their guards.

Get it yourself,it takes a long time to clear background check. You will recoup the money right away. I would go with APPS only because I went there and they are good. School will fingerprint you and get ball rolling.

The longer you wait the price on permit and school may go up.

It is also much easier to get hired when you have permit in

your hand,you can pick and choose.

Good Luck

Will

From what I've seen, it's usually approached as a part-time kind of thing... but I'm sure if one has the credentials (military/LE experience), some type of executive & government security possibilities are likely out there which could provide a good income.

Somebody who's been in the business would have more insight. I'm just going on the few types I've met.

Guest recoveryman1

i have been through it at range usa in memphis i would do it on my own that way you are not tied to a company for your training if something goes south in the first little bit of time with them its not that expensive and you will recoupe your loses pretty quick i would think and from what i hear jobs are pretty easy to find i went through it for reasons other than being a guard. the one thing i would recomend is that you know what you want to carry and practice with it to make sure because you are only allowed to carry what you take the course with so be sure

the one thing i would recomend is that you know what you want to carry and practice with it to make sure because you are only allowed to carry what you take the course with so be sure

I didn't know you can only carry what you use for the certification course. What if you use one caliber to take the course with and decide to change later on?

You can only carry model/cal you qualify with and only that ser#,but for twenty bucks

or so you can add another gun and this is on file with school. If you can shotgun qualify

do this right away because you have it if needed for job. Try to have gun you will carry

and make it easy.

I do not know the requirements but places like Ft. Campbell, Ky. have civillian contract guards at the entrances to the post for a couple of years now. I have talked to a couple and depending on rank and duties make around $14 to $17 an hour. They are armed with a handgun, do not know about the training they recieved.