+P Ammo

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The firearm will state if it can handle +p loads. I use +p only for defensive purposes. It will not harm steel frame guns but alloy guns should only be shot with +p occasionally when testing or carrying to prevent frame cracks which can happen if a steady diet of +p is given. +p will produce more recoil but increases velocity in 9 and .45. .40 and .357 sig is already +p by default.

The firearm will state if it can handle +p loads....

Actually, very few firearms show +p on them for caliber designation. Unless you mean you have some that speak. :)

I have maybe 15 that are +p rated for .38 or 9mm and exactly none show +p on the firearm, and most don't in the manual either.

- OS

A little history may help. The '+P' ammo started to appear in the 1980's. Initially, it was in .38Spl trying to get up closer to .357 performance. Teh 9mm '+P' loads cam around a few years later, followed quickly by the other calibers. My advice would be that if it was made before 1990, I would be very cautious about using +P ammo in it.

There are also gimmicky ammo labels, for example a couple of brands try to push +p 380 ammo which there is no official word on. Take buffalo bore for example, they push a +p makarov ammo. Well, it turns out their ammo is exactly the same as what was sold in the USA about 10 or 15 years ago as defensive makarov ammo: 90 or 95 grains at 1200 fps. Most other vendors have toned down theirs to 1000 fps so relatively, the buffalo bore is higher pressure, but it is still inside the old limits and not excessive pressure ammo. Its just a gimmick to sell the stuff, and while it is good stuff, I am not sure I approve of this marketing tactic.