Zeta Cartel Arsenal Captured

Mexico says captured cartel leader had arsenal - Yahoo! News

I posted here because I know this is going to turn into a gun runner topic. With that in mind, these guys also had grenade launchers and grenades (I'm assuming projectiles). Is that stuff being run from our borders or from elsewhere? It kinda takes away the argument that lax US gun laws makes us the sole supplier of arms to the Cartels.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how any fully auto weapons or destructive devices are being sold to cartels from individuals here.

Sold from criminals here maybe, but the items were illegal from the get go then

If I had to a wager a guess, I would say they are built and or modified by private people. I guess technically they would be criminals though huh?:)

It would be a VERY simple matter for a drug lord to take say 10K dollars [they wipe their butt on more than that] and put a Bridgeport and a lathe in some guys basement/garage. From there, if he's competent [and it ain't hard] he can convert AK's and AR's to full auto. Given complete parts kits, one man could probably crank out a half dozen Stens a day once he got set up. It would be a good investment for the drug lord with a very high return on his money. Snatch up perfectly legal guns stateside either by hook or crook; whittle on them a bit and send them out to the drug lords.

It's what kills me about the left wanting to ban all guns. HA! You can't ban a machinist!!

Guest mikedwood
If I had to a wager a guess, I would say they are built and or modified by private people. I guess technically they would be criminals though huh?:)

It would be a VERY simple matter for a drug lord to take say 10K dollars [they wipe their butt on more than that] and put a Bridgeport and a lathe in some guys basement/garage. From there, if he's competent [and it ain't hard] he can convert AK's and AR's to full auto. Given complete parts kits, one man could probably crank out a half dozen Stens a day once he got set up. It would be a good investment for the drug lord with a very high return on his money. Snatch up perfectly legal guns stateside either by hook or crook; whittle on them a bit and send them out to the drug lords.

It's what kills me about the left wanting to ban all guns. HA! You can't ban a machinist!!

Yes! That's what I've been thinking, if you have pretty much unlimited cash to burn and control of a complete area of a country then what couldn't you have built and or made?

Wachovia launders billions in drug money (That blows my mind, that's just what one bank laundered) They got on the trail of the laundering when a plan that was formally an ex-CIA plane went down with a lot of cocaine in it. Then they found out the plane was financed through Wachovia and .....

One thing they have built is submarines (If you can build a submarine I'd imagine you can build about anything)

Statistically, Mexican drug gangs get most of their weapons from either the Mexican Police and Army, or bought from overseas. Why would they pay $800-1000 for a US semi-auto AR-15 when they can get a full-auto M4 from the Mexican police for half that? And a full-auto AK from a dealer for about $250. When you are smuggling tons of marijuana, cocaine, etc, how difficult is it to stuff a few hundred pounds of machineguns and grenades in with the load?

Statistically, Mexican drug gangs get most of their weapons from either the Mexican Police and Army, or bought from overseas. Why would they pay $800-1000 for a US semi-auto AR-15 when they can get a full-auto M4 from the Mexican police for half that? And a full-auto AK from a dealer for about $250. When you are smuggling tons of marijuana, cocaine, etc, how difficult is it to stuff a few hundred pounds of machineguns and grenades in with the load?

I would agree with you but I keep hearing random statistics that claim the US is the supplier (90 percent from one news story I read). I think a grenade launcher and ammo for said launcher disproves that theory. You don't come by stuff like that at a gun show.

EDIT: In regards to the statistic above, about 67 percent of statistics are made up right on the spot.

I think you may have stumbled onto something...a new motto for the machinists union:

"I'll give you my lathe when you take it from my cold, dead hands"