Taurus fell apart

Well after years of bragging and taking up for Taurus when other wouldn't my PT145 has broken down. I stripped it for cleaning and a sliver of metal and two small bits of plastic fell out. After tearing it all the way down, the trigger support holes have broken off and the slide release spring has fractured.

Sad part is, it likely won't be fixed under warranty as I have replaced the crummy plastic pins with metal ones I made myself. Since I modified it, the warranty is technically void. Sucks but I wouldn't blame them if they refuse. I'll find out monday morning.

It's ten years old and I don't know if the later models will even interchange. Good luck getting parts huh? Midway and Brownells has nothing. Anyone know where I can buy the parts? I don't mind paying for them and I'd heap rather fix it myself than have Taurus do it.

THANK GOD I didn't have to pull it out!!! I cary it around the house and work. Think how bad it would be to have the trigger fall out in a defensive situation. Even when/if it's fixed I'll never carry it again. I don't like carrying my XD at work, but that's where I am now. I'm not far from buying a Glock I swear to God. If I could get the wife to buy me a decent used 17 and a Lone Wolf cut rifled barrel, I'd be on it. I'm not sure there's a part in a Glock that can't be bought at a gunshow. Much as I love XD's, can't say the same for them.

The real pisser for me is I JUST HAD the same issue with my SP101 [fixed it and sold it]. Spring broke in it and I didn't know it till cleaning day.

Two lessons here boys and girls:

*Check your EDC OFTEN!!!!!!!!!

*Carry weapons that are heavily supported for parts if, like me, you work on your own guns.

If anyone needs me I'll be over here starring in this video:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/66053-sigh-somedays.html

Edited by Caster
Sorry to hear it.....

Out of curiosity

why don't you like to carry the XD?

I carry the XD everywhere but work. At work I am up and down, standing kneeling wallering around on cars. The XD pinches the fire out of me when I squat just right and honestly I don't want it all scuffed up:)

Other than that...nothing.

These guys are good at having (making) hard to find parts. Just be careful tho. I bought 2 firing pins for an old Mossberg .22 and they were the only ones I could find on the net that sold them. One of them I had to file down the edges so it could move freely within the bolt (not a huge deal). The other one would not fire because it was almost a full millimeter shorter than the other and was getting only light strikes.

Your mileage may vary but that's my experience with them.

Well Taurus, you just made an enemy for life. My Christmas wish for you is that you go bankrupt and that one night when all your workers have gone home for the day, your factory burns to the ground.

*Taurus phone representative - I'm sorry sir, but the trigger is a restricted part and must be installed by a factory trained professional

*Caster - HAHAHAHAHA!! Excuse me, so sorry. I just want the part, I don't mind signing a waiver and paying good money for it.

*Taurus - We cannot sir. We would be happy to have you return it and we repair it for free.

*Caster - I already have it apart. I've replaced the factory crap plastic pins with metal ones and I know what you're going to say when you get it.

*Taurus - Oh well sir if it has been modified or repaired with non factory Taurus parts you are right, we cannot fix it.

*Caster - Well, if you people weren't so lazy and cheap, you wouldn't half ass a job by using plastic for frame pins, and I wouldn't have had to.

*Taurus - __________ I don't know what he said I quit paying attention.

*Caster - Well, I used to, in the face of internet opposition, support and defend Taurus, but guess what? No more. Have a Merry Christmas and I hope you never sell another gun.

*Click*

​Taurus Sucks.

SO, being as I didn't give them a name or serial number; I am now looking for some plastic frame pins or a suitable piece of black plastic to make some out of that will pass for factory pins so I can ship it back and get it fixed.

Told the wife, if this thing didn't hold sentimental value I'd box it up and mail it to them with a jar of vaseline and a short list of suggestions.

Did I just hear someone say go buy a Glock? :leaving:

Well I'm going next week I hope.

Here's a handgun life lesson: Leave all that oddball crap alone. Stick to a top shelf well known design that YOU can get parts for. Glock or 1911

I shouldn't be as mad as I am right now, I know, but I don't like anyone telling me "Oh you can have this part, but only if we put it in because you're not competent enough to install it and we're all a bunch of cowards in fear of a lawsuit."

There's a 40 caliber trigger on gunbroker. I wonder if they are the same? I don't need the trigger bar, just the plastic trigger itself. Anyone own a PT140 and pt 145 and wanna look and see if there's a noticeable difference?

I bet they're the same injection molded part. What do you bet?

Guest gw2and4
Did I just hear someone say go buy a Glock? :leaving:

Well I'm going next week I hope.

Here's a handgun life lesson: Leave all that oddball crap alone. Stick to a top shelf well known design that YOU can get parts for. Glock or 1911

I shouldn't be as mad as I am right now, I know, but I don't like anyone telling me "Oh you can have this part, but only if we put it in because you're not competent enough to install it and we're all a bunch of cowards in fear of a lawsuit."

If you want to tinker and fit parts, 1911s are great (and I freely admit that I'm a 1911 infant and know next to nothing about them). But Glock is definitely the way to go if drop-in parts availability, modularity, and interoperability appeal to you. The only part I've ever had to order from Glock was a long Gen4 trigger housing pin. They sent it free. And an English-speaking humanoid biped picks up the phone every time I call. So yeah, I'm a fan of the Austrian Kool-Aid...

Sent from my iPhone 4

They offered to fix it for free and you're pissed about that? :)

Naw, read that again peejman, They would have fixed it until I told them about how I replaced their sorry plastic frame pins with steel ones. If I hadn't have told them, they'd certainly noticed when I sent it to them and I'd be out shipping and time just so they could tell me the same crap.

They're gonna fix it, I just have to find a piece of plastic of similar color, texture and shore durometer so I can make a reasonable facsimile of the factory pins. Then I'll send it back, they can fix it and I can reinstall the steel pins. THEN, I can put the pistol back in it's box, lock it up in the safe as an heirloom and it'll likely never see the light of day again.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the part you're talking about, but couldn't you just tell them the pins must have broke and fell out, and when you went to clean it you found them just plain gone?

Personally I've only had one experience with Taurus support. I used to own a 617, and the yoke screw backed out after many range sessions. It fell off somewhere and I didn't even notice until the cylinder assembly came out on me. They mailed me a replacement screw gratis, and these days I make a point of checking screws like that every so often.

Well if you take both pins out and claim they fell out, the gun falls apart. I suppose I could.

I don't know. I just think it's stupid that I have to take time off work to go to UPS or Fed EX, pay to ship the thing and wait for them to fix it for free when I could PAY THEM, get the parts faster and I could have it back together in 20 minutes. They're just plain ignorant dummies. I don't want their stupid warranty, I just want to buy what I want to buy.

SO, being as I didn't give them a name or serial number; I am now looking for some plastic frame pins or a suitable piece of black plastic to make some out of that will pass for factory pins so I can ship it back and get it fixed.

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

It looks like they have the pins in stock. If you call Numrich's order line (866.686.7424) and press 1 they will give you a code to receive free shipping if you hang up and order from the website.

There's a 40 caliber trigger on gunbroker. I wonder if they are the same? I don't need the trigger bar, just the plastic trigger itself. Anyone own a PT140 and pt 145 and wanna look and see if there's a noticeable difference?

I bet they're the same injection molded part. What do you bet?

Numrich is sold out of the triggers but they list the same product number (1179460) for the PT145, PT140, PT111, PT138 and PT132.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Search.aspx?filter=1179460

I vote that you buy a Glock !

Edited by Karnage

I understand your desire to get the parts and fix it yourself, I like fixing things myself too. But it seems like the $10 to ship it is still cheaper than buying the parts. If it takes a couple weeks, you've got other toys to play with in the mean time. I'd do what BryanP suggested and simply send it back without the pins. "It fell out and disappeared under my work bench... ".

If you can't find the parts anywhere, the existing trigger can likely be fixed with various epoxies.

Just go buy a dang Sig or Glock. Taurus was the only manufacturer that I had a 38 special revolver break as well LMAO. :)

Well, I've had it a decade and put several thousand rounds through it. It's not that big a deal other than Taurus being stupid and not selling me the parts I need.