My dog had a stroke last night....

Guest TargetShooter84

Guest TargetShooter84

My dog who has practically grown up with me and he's 17-18 years old. Last night before bed, I let him out to use bathroom and he was his normal perky self. Even wanted to play with my moms dog. Well, when I woke up, he had thrown up, walked very unbalanced, head was tilted sideways and doesn't seem to respond well. I'm upset over this and I'm praying for a recovery. Vet is out of question due to fact he's old and I'd never forgive myself if he died with strangers around him and not me/family to support him or be there with him. He has improved some today but his head is still tilted sideways. His right side seems to have little muscle control. I let him out and had to walk alongside him and he seems very confused and I had to carry him back inside since he couldn't walk back very well. Really is heartbreaking.

I was wondering what I could do to help make his life a little easier. Any advice?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry to hear when a member of the family suffers somthing like this,

Call your Vet and explain your wishes and concerns, there are options and

+1 for Lap of love if it is needed, we did not use their sevice due to our location in MI at the time. We used Whispering Pines pet cemetary services but I would not have done it any other way.

So sorry to hear that. We lost 2 of our life long friends this year. Please remember that he cant tell you what he needs and that you have to be thoughtfull enough of his needs as possible. I know it is very hard to make that choice if need be. But +1 on the VET. Give him love and let him know he is loved and I am sure that if he can he will hang in as long as he can.

Guest TresOsos

I hope the Vet will be able to help your Friend, I've been thruogh this a couple of times and its not easy.

Friend to Friend

You're giving me a special gift,

So sorrowfully endowed,

And through these last few cherished days,

Your courage makes me proud.

But really, love is knowing

When your best friend is in pain,

And understanding earthly acts

Will only be in vain.

So looking deep into your eyes,

Beyond, into your soul,

I see in you the magic, that will

Once more make me whole.

The strength that you possess,

Is why I look to you today,

To do this thing that must be done,

For it's the only way.

That strength is why I've followed you,

And chose you as my friend,

And why I've loved you all these years...

My partner 'til the end.

Please, understand just what this gift,

You're giving, means to me,

It gives me back the strength I've lost,

And all my dignity.

You take a stand on my behalf,

For that is what friends do.

And know that what you do is right,

For I believe it too.

So one last time, I breathe your scent,

And through your hand I feel,

The courage that's within you,

To now grant me this appeal.

Cut the leash that holds me here,

Dear friend, and let me run,

Once more a strong and steady dog,

My pain and struggle done.

And don't despair my passing,

For I won't be far away,

Forever here, within your heart,

And memory I'll stay.

I'll be there watching over you,

Your ever faithful friend,

And in your memories I'll run,

...a young dog once again.

A stroke sounds likely from what you described, but a severe inner ear infection can present much the same. Either way, if he were my dog, a trip to the vet would be in store before I completely wrote it off as a stroke.

If it is a stroke, you may be comforted by the fact that he is probably not in any pain. Generally, strokes are not painful. The suffering is from the disability that the pt is left with if it is a survivable stroke.

Best of luck to you, sir. I know this is a difficult time and a hard thing to deal with. I'll go ahead and say a prayer as I think pets have a special place in heaven.

Have been exactly where you are right now--off to vet now! The best I can describe it, is that you WILL know when it's time to let go, and as others have said, you do, b/c it's not for you, it's for him. And he'll let you know that it's okay to let go when it's time. Best of luck for a recovery, and if not, plenty of folks here to lean on.

Like everybody says. Go to vet! Its the right think to do. Let the vet see what your dealing with. It may not be as bad as you think. I'll lost several "one in april". We know in our hearts we did everything we possible could do for our loved ones. You don't want to start second guessing your decisions after its too late.

Guest TargetShooter84

Update: talked to the vet. Said it wasn't a stroke but vestibular vertigo. Common with older dogs. My dog is recovering very nicely and is making great progress. He isn't 100% there but getting there and we are being supportive and helping his recovery.

Thanks for listening and help.

Update: talked to the vet. Said it wasn't a stroke but vestibular vertigo. Common with older dogs. My dog is recovering very nicely and is making great progress. He isn't 100% there but getting there and we are being supportive and helping his recovery.

Thanks for listening and help.

Thank YOU for listening to us and going to the Vet. What a great, if inadvertent, Christmas gift - to suddenly find out that your best friend isn't as bad off as you thought he was. Merry Christmas to both of you!:)

...TS...