Traffic Stop Procedure

Guest WestonGray

Why, in God's name, would you hand over a loaded gun? Inform the officer that you are clearing your gun and then clear it. Safety first.

Generally the officer doesn't want you to do anything that will make them nervous like operating the action of a firearm. You can "suggest" but to "inform" an officer who is already apparently nervous enough to disarm you is going down a path that I will wish you well on.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only had one experience with this. I told the officer and asked him if he would feel more comfortable if I let him hang on to my gun. He did and I easily handed it to him. The rest of the encounter was smooth as can be. We ended up becoming friends and chatting for a bit. I see him from time to time and we still talk. I think this all stems from that one encounter we had where I was up front and honest with him. +1 for cool cops!

Not saying I don't believe this but I find it unprofessional and lacking in officer safety for an officer to ask an unknown person to put their hands on their weapon and hand it over to him. More than likely he is going to disarm you if he insists to take control of the firearm. It's also in the regulations I believe to never place your hands on your firearm in the presence of a LEO. Don't think I would be stupid enough to make that move even if I WAS asked. I believe I'd ask to step out of the car and let the officer disarm me. My luck he'd shoot me and say I was going for it.

For me it’s pretty simple…

Massad Ayoob (arguably one of the best trainers/firearms experts in the country) advises that if stopped and you are carrying, hand the officer you carry permit along with your driver’s license – that’s an easy and very “non-threatening” way to let the officer know you may be armed.

Beyond that, while TN does not, many states require you to inform the officer if you are carrying – I travel and I don’t want to have to remember what the state I’m currently in happens to require so informing the officer just seems like the easiest way all around.

From videos on the internet and some TV shows, in some states I'm not sure waiting to hand over your permit with your DL would be informing quick enough. It appears some states and/or LEOs want you tell them as they are walking up very first thing.

Guest nicemac
I have been stopped, run my DL given a ticket for no seat belt . Never asked ,after the THP ran my DL if i was carring.

I somtime believe the permitt holder is a little over excited with his new permitt.

Well in my case, it is in no way a new permit. I would just rather be honest and upfront with the police.

Guest Catfish36

I have had 3 experiences with officers since carrying. My first was a seat belt stop. When pulling out my drivers license the Officer saw my HCP underneath it in my wallet. He asked to see it and said.."these are new (referring to the new side ways look of them)," then he said "be sure to tell officers up front when you get stopped"..he asked me where my gun was..i told him and he told me not to touch it..was very polite and gave me the ticket. My next incedent was when I hydroplaned on I40 in a storm ,,did two 360s...crashed into both sides of a bridge and miraculously came to a stop on the shoulder just before semis flew by.... my Glock was secure under the passengers seat and the two troopers showed up...we got my van to a more secure location and when they started doing the paperwork I gave them my license and HCP and informed them it was in the van. The trooper informed the other officer on the scene and never acted in anyway like it made them nervous at all. I had to have someone else come and get me. When my ride arrived I informed the officers that I was going to get my weapon from the car to take with me. They said "sure" and never flinched. My 3rd experience was when I was doing 85 in a 60..I passed an Alcoa police cruiser hiding on the other side of a bridge..before he turned his lights on...just as I saw him start to roll..I just imediatly pulled over..haha.. He pulled in behind me and I handed him my licence and HCP. He asked me where my weapon was..I told him and he did not seem bothered by it at all. He gave me a ticket for 80 in a 60 (being Nice) and he thanked me for informing him of my weapon.

So my experience has been postive involving LEOs and Carrying.

However, I must say..that Ohio video that was posted really gets under my skin. My experiences with LEOs has always been professional. I treat them with respect and they have treated me likewise. Officers need to be trained that they represent values that are greater than themselves. They need to always remain in a calm, professional frame of mind. It bother's me more that a hot head like that has a badge and a gun than the guy arrested. If you can not control your language and temper..you do not deserve to have a badge. That officer is dangerous to be on the street.

However, I must say..that Ohio video that was posted really gets under my skin. My experiences with LEOs has always been professional. I treat them with respect and they have treated me likewise. Officers need to be trained that they represent values that are greater than themselves. They need to always remain in a calm, professional frame of mind. It bother's me more that a hot head like that has a badge and a gun than the guy arrested. If you can not control your language and temper..you do not deserve to have a badge. That officer is dangerous to be on the street.

The cop was wrong, but the citizen was also an idiot. He sounded like Richard Christie's father from the Howard Stern show. There's a way to say things without being alarming and still being assertive. He sounded like a 14 year old boy getting the nerve up to ask a girl on a date. Awful.

Guest Catfish36

Just another thought...If Ohio (and other states with these laws) want you to "immediately inform that you are armed" before anything else is said...imagine how threatening this situation will sound to the LEO. Instead of someone calming letting the LEO know by handing him the HCP...the situation will be..officer walks to window, before he can speak the guy in the car says "I have a gun"....this could come across as an immediate threat to the officer and he may could justify placing a bullet in your head or at best arresting you for simply trying to abide by the law. EVERYONE in these situations just simply need to remain CALM!

I'm another one that hands my hcp w/ my dl. I've only been stopped a couple of times & both times the officers just asked where my firearm was currently located. They were satisfied w/ my response of "on my right hip" & both thanked me for informing them. Both times I was sent on my way w/ warnings to slow down & never even had my info ran.

I have had 3 experiences with officers since carrying. My first was a seat belt stop. When pulling out my drivers license the Officer saw my HCP underneath it in my wallet. He asked to see it and said.."these are new (referring to the new side ways look of them)," then he said "be sure to tell officers up front when you get stopped"..he asked me where my gun was..i told him and he told me not to touch it..was very polite and gave me the ticket. My next incedent was when I hydroplaned on I40 in a storm ,,did two 360s...crashed into both sides of a bridge and miraculously came to a stop on the shoulder just before semis flew by.... my Glock was secure under the passengers seat and the two troopers showed up...we got my van to a more secure location and when they started doing the paperwork I gave them my license and HCP and informed them it was in the van. The trooper informed the other officer on the scene and never acted in anyway like it made them nervous at all. I had to have someone else come and get me. When my ride arrived I informed the officers that I was going to get my weapon from the car to take with me. They said "sure" and never flinched. My 3rd experience was when I was doing 85 in a 60..I passed an Alcoa police cruiser hiding on the other side of a bridge..before he turned his lights on...just as I saw him start to roll..I just imediatly pulled over..haha.. He pulled in behind me and I handed him my licence and HCP. He asked me where my weapon was..I told him and he did not seem bothered by it at all. He gave me a ticket for 80 in a 60 (being Nice) and he thanked me for informing him of my weapon.

So my experience has been postive involving LEOs and Carrying.

However, I must say..that Ohio video that was posted really gets under my skin. My experiences with LEOs has always been professional. I treat them with respect and they have treated me likewise. Officers need to be trained that they represent values that are greater than themselves. They need to always remain in a calm, professional frame of mind. It bother's me more that a hot head like that has a badge and a gun than the guy arrested. If you can not control your language and temper..you do not deserve to have a badge. That officer is dangerous to be on the street.[/quote

The further you go north,the more insane people get. Cops or civilians. Something in the water I guess.

I work with a part-time LEO and asked him about this. He said when they run your DL, the computer tells them if you have a HCP. He doesn't care if you tell him up front or not, and having a weapon is a non-issue with him. He also said that none of his partners give it much thought. It's the guys with illegal weapons that concern him.

Yes. Can't put my finger on it, but there's a fairly recent video from some state discussed here where the LEO made a big deal about it because the guy didn't tell him first words out of his mouth after a stop. Was pretty extreme case, though, I'd say - cop was way out of line in general.

- OS

I was in Michigan recently and open carry is allowed without a permit in MI and when you enter a vehicle it is considered concealed so you must have a concealed carry permit to have a loaded gun in a vehicle and if stopped the first words must be to inform the officer that you have a ccp and are carrying or they can pull your ccp and you are in a big hassle according to the in-laws. That may be what was going on there. When visiting a state make sure you know the procedures for a stop when asked. Every state is different and makes traveling a pain.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

I have only had one interaction with LEO while carrying. Another TGO member and I were doing an AR deal in Crossville. I parked in a secluded spot off 40 but my trunk was to McD's. I was showing the buying my AR in the trunk and had to pull it out to show the rest if it. After about 5 minutes six officers greeted us after they got a call on an assault weapon deal going down in the general store parking lot LMAO. Told then officer I had my HCP and DL in my wallet and I was armed he had me hand him my credentials. He turned around to go to his squad car then turned back to me and I asked him if he wanted to secure my weapon for his peace of mind. He disarmed me after the Serpa defeated him at first LMAO and put my loaded gun on the hood of his car, not my AR. The buyer had to inform him she had a weapon too and he did the same for her. It was funny the officers showed up with ARs as well and flak jackets. I had 11 mags loaded with 500 additional rounds of green tip in the trunk. Buyer had a defender shotgun in the trunk and a 1911. The officer when he arrived in scene informed the other officers I had armor piercing ammo. +1 for me! Overall the guys were nice and we talked for about 30 minutes and they even asked to buy my Eotech and if we wanted them to hang out while we finished up. Be careful in Crossville LMAO.

Edited by k9wh91984
I have only had one interaction with LEO while carrying. Another TGO member and I were doing an AR deal in Crossville. I parked in a secluded spot off 40 but my trunk was to McD's. I was showing the buying my AR in the trunk and had to pull it out to show the rest if it. After about 5 minutes six officers greeted us after they got a call on an assault weapon deal going down in the general store parking lot LMAO. Told then officer I had my HCP and DL in my wallet and I was armed he had me hand him my credentials. He turned around to go to his squad car then turned back to me and I asked him if he wanted to secure my weapon for his peace of mind. He disarmed me after the Serpa defeated him at first LMAO and put my loaded gun on the hood of his car, not my AR. The buyer had to inform him she had a weapon too and he did the same for her. It was funny the officers showed up with ARs as well and flak jackets. I had 11 mags loaded with 500 additional rounds of green tip in the trunk. Buyer had a defender shotgun in the trunk and a 1911. The officer when he arrived in scene informed the other officers I had armor piercing ammo. +1 for me! Overall the guys were nice and we talked for about 30 minutes and they even asked to buy my Eotech and if we wanted them to hang out while we finished up. Be careful in Crossville LMAO.

So wait....he wasn't worried about disarming you until you made an issue of it? Then he had trouble removing it from your holster.... not sure about his peace of mind, but mine would have been a lot better had he just left it in my holster.

Glad you didn't get shot in the leg....

Edited by Fallguy

Unfortunately I didn't get shot. I was really wanting another payday. No what it was is he forgot to ask me about my sidearm and I didn't volunteer right off after giving him my HCP to disarm. He was stressed I think or worried and secure at the same time haha