Question Re: Kel Tec Sub 2000 9mm

tmck

I have been looking for a KT sub 2000 and I have called lots of gun shops in West & Middle TN.

A couple told me that they did not fool with Kel Tec...said they were lots of trouble. One guy said they are made to shoot about 500 rounds and then fall apart.

I have done lots of research on the internet re: the KT 2000 and all of the reviews have been very positive. However, none have mentioned the expected life of a KT 2000.

I value your opinion and I will appreciate any thoughts, ideas or information you might have.

tmck :rant:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reviews you may or may not have seen:

"The Awesome Little Kel-Tec Sub-2000" by Nutnfancy - YouTube

KelTec Sub-2000 testing: Trench Warfare Drill (raw footage of gun test) - YouTube

Beyond that, I can't help much. As far as dealers "not messing with KelTec" I think that is brand snobbery and probably wanting to upsell you to something more expensive. You mentioned being in Middle TN. I know D&T Arms in Nashville stocks some KelTec guns, and I certainly don't mean to speak for them, but they've been super nice when I've been in there twice and I bet they'd order one for you. At least that would be the first place I'd try based on my good experiences there.

Have the gun shops been recommending another option they just happen to have in stock?...

I have one but only 200 rounds down range. It's been great and I have plenty of confidence in it. I have a G17 as well and they both serve as my night stand/home defense package. It's fun to shoot and pretty accurate. IMHO, finding one will be the most trouble you have with this one. I got my off of gunbroker after waiting patiently for one to pop up. The other nice thing is Kel-Tec as a lifetime warranty if it did "fall apart after 500 rounds."

I have seen their service first hand in a PMR-30 and they are top notch.

Good luck and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Rebels010

My best advice is generally to not seek advice in a gun shop. They're a business, trying to push the merchandise that they have on hand, so they are incented to talk-up the stuff they've got, and talk-down the stuff that they either don't have or can't get. In most cases, they're also not shooters, so they don't go out and put hundreds or thousands of rounds through the products that they sell. A good example is that I was at a shop last week and while looking for something specific, the guys in the shop tried to "help" me by telling me I was foolish and that I should consider what they have on their shelf instead. Everything that they said was not only off-base, but there was some fiction to boot.

I don't have one, but it's a solid performer. I have personally seen a 9mm Glock magazine version go through a 3-day carbine course with Progressive FORCE Concepts and there were no problems with the gun.

Kel-Tec states:

"All Kel-Tec firearms have an expected life of 6,000 rounds or more."

Not uber reassuring, I admit.

However, lifetime warranty. However², only original owner is now honored.

I bought a slightly used Sub2000 9mm recently, really like it. However, the front sight post broke in half for mysterious reasons.

However², got new one for a couple bucks.

However³, small nut was lost also, and nut/bolt wasn't in their parts online shop, and can't find a nut with outside dimensions small enough to sit down in side of windage adjuster to hold the whole thing together.

That said, (and I'll kludge it together till I find one) dang thing shoots minute of torso out to 125 yards with no front sight post at all!

- OS

edit: if you want one, CDNN has the Glock version for $299.99 + 19.99 shipping, doubt if you'll find one new cheaper even with shipping and transfer assuming you know a shop that'll do it for $25 or less.

Edited by OhShoot

I have owned a variety of Kel Tec firearms over the years including the Sub2K. They are some of the best guns for the money out there. Are they flawless? Of course not. Even a $2000 custom 1911 can give you problems. I recently sold my Sub2K, miss having one around, and plan on getting another sometime in the near future. You can't beat them for what they are and Kel Tec's customer service tends to be excellent.

Guest super99gm

Good thing they have the warranty. My sub is at Keltec now. It never shot 10 rounds without a jam. I installed a new extractor that they sent, but that didn't help. They should learn to get it right the first time. You always hear the story that they will make it right. They had to change the warranty to original owner only probably because of so many problems.

Good thing they have the warranty. My sub is at Keltec now. It never shot 10 rounds without a jam. I installed a new extractor that they sent, but that didn't help. They should learn to get it right the first time. You always hear the story that they will make it right. They had to change the warranty to original owner only probably because of so many problems.

Yours is about the only complaint I've read about that kind of unreliability with the sub2K. Can't imagine what's up with it. Mine has fed on everything I've tried, including lead nose and metal cased. Surely they'll straighten it out for you.

Majority of Kel-Tec probs seem to be with the handguns.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I had a KT Sub2000 Glock 9mm and the only problem I had with it I couldn't pry it out of the hands of other people who wanted to shoot it. They are fun, work well and for an inexpensive 9mm carbine - simply work! I opted for a 5.56 ultralight that shoots nearly as cheap of ammo with a lot more punch. However, I wouldn't turn down a good deal on a zombie 9mm carbine that works as well as the Sub2000. My only real issue with the Sub2000 was with the cheek weld and the funky front sight. A good trio would be a Glock 9mm, KTSB2000 and an Advantage Arms .22 Glock conversion. Even better would be a Glock 9mm, TacSol .22 conversion and a light AR 9mm with Hahn block for Glock 9mm mags.