Browning Sweet 16-16ga

Guest GlocKingTN

Guest GlocKingTN

My dad has a Browning Sweet 16 16ga shotgun he bought when he was a youngster. It looks pretty good and still shoots like new. The stock and forearm have a few scratches, but nothing major. I believe he said it had the Improved Cylinder 28" barrel. Anyone know what it might be worth? I have seen them go for as much as $2,000 on Gunbroker! I think this would be something of interest to a gun collector, or someone who just wanted a good shotgun. Not sure of the serial numbers or anything, but I do know it shoots 2 3/4 in shells!

Looks almost identical to this one, but the wood may be just a shade darker: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=96151470

Edited by GlocKingTN
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet 16's have a mystique about them. Some do sell in the $2000 range but they are pretty rare. Most sell in the 500 to 1000 dollar range. There are several factors that come into play on the value. First off of course is condition. Sounds like this one is in fairly good condition. Do you know if it has ever been reblued? This can kill the collectors value.

Second is the barrel. THe most sought after choke is the IC. The barrel will be stamped with dashes(-) and asterisks (*) right above the forearm on the left side(opposite of the chamber). The combination of dashes and asterisks will tell you the choke. One asterisk means full choke. I forgot what means IC. You can find it online.

Third is the butt plate/pad. The gun in the link you supplied does not have the original butt plate. The original butt plate was made from horn and not rubber.

There is a website called the 16ga Society where you can get a lot if info.

http://16ga.com/home.html

http://16ga.com/forum/index.php

They also have a forum section where you can get a lot info. There are a lot of collectors on that site that can help you. They are a bunch of nice guys with a lot of info. They will be able to tell you when yours was manufactured by the serial number. They can also tell you if all your parts are original.

Hope this helps.

Guest GlocKingTN

Thanks. That helps alot. I will check on those markings and see what they are. It has never been reblued and was purchased New in 1958 by my father! My dad called it a scatter gun??????

Guest killemducks

Well, "scatter-gun" is slang for "shotgun". Nice gun man. If I were you, I'd keep that baby!! SWEET!! Hard to beat a Browning. Is it made in Belgium?? (on the barrel)