Tennessean writing about CCW reciprocity laws

Guest brianhaas

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent article! Of course, it would have been even so much better if you could have somehow worked in "New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and blithering idiot". :)

Some may agree that she should have done her homework on NY gun laws. But I don't think anyone here on TGO agrees with anything Bloomberg has to say.

sorry if this is redundant...Mercy urged for Tennessee tourist who took gun to 9/11 Memorial - NYPOST.com

City Councilman Peter Vallone Jr. (D-Queens), chairman of the Public Safety Committee, personally asked Cyrus Vance Jr.’s office not to push for the 3 1/2-year minimum sentence for Meredith Graves, 39.

“By prosecuting this woman and seeking 3 1/2 years of jail, we are shooting our own [gun-control] efforts in the foot and giving the rest of the country ammunition,” Vallone said.

They may be figuring out that they are stepping on their own anti-gun private parts......

Guest bkelm18
Some may agree that she should have done her homework on NY gun laws. But I don't think anyone here on TGO agrees with anything Bloomberg has to say.

Actually I agreed with what he said. People should know the laws of the places they're traveling to.

Scrapping CCW laws, and allowing law abiding citizens to freely exercise their 2nd ammendment rights would prevent such errors. As it stands today, a legal scholar who specializes in gun law would have trouble knowing and interpreting all the nuances of carry laws in 50 different states, not to mention staying abreast of the yearly changes in each state.

Having said that, I don't believe ignorance is a valid excuse for violating the law, and I do not defend the woman's actions.

Greg Herbert

Lafayette, Tennessee

Maybe, maybe not. If one truly believes the 2nd Ad. , then she is within her rights to carry. In reality, that is exactly what many Tennesseans do everyday. Many of my friends won't get a HCP because they believe it is their right to carry anyway. Really no difference in the New York situation vs. Tenn., both consider such actions are illegal. This lady is simply getting caught in the New York trap which has been the subject of this forum many times. Even when one tries to abide by the law, you can't even go through a NY airport with a properly packed handgun without some trepidation.

Guest bkelm18
Really no difference in the New York situation vs. Tenn., both consider such actions are illegal.

There's a BIG difference. She's being charged with felony gun possession. In TN, if you carry without a permit it is only a Misdemeanor.

This video is worth watching. It only took a jury 30 minutes to acquit a Florida man that says he didn’t know the gun was in his car.

His attorney attacked the “Knowingly†part of the law. I know this woman doesn’t have that defense.

But the interesting part for me in his story was that the Judge, refused his motion to dismiss, but also said this was not a jail sentence case. Even after more or less being told that the Judge was not going to send the guy to jail the prosecution refused to accept a plea bargain that didn’t include jail time. That just goes to show this isn’t about justice; it’s obviously orders from the Mayor’s office.

sorry if this is redundant...Mercy urged for Tennessee tourist who took gun to 9/11 Memorial - NYPOST.com

They may be figuring out that they are stepping on their own anti-gun private parts......

I think Councilman Vallone Jr. is pretty smart. This could backfire back on them if they try to make an example of this woman. It is all over the internet, heck we have 4 or 5 threads on this forum alone covering the same story. If NYC wants to have these kinds of law then that is fine by me. However, there needs to be some common sense exceptions applied when it is warranted.

There's a BIG difference. She's being charged with felony gun possession. In TN, if you carry without a permit it is only a Misdemeanor.

It’s only a misdemeanor in Illinois also. But if that turns out to be cocaine, in Illinois drugs and guns is a Class X (highest level) felony. 6-30 years with no probation available. I wonder if NY has something like that?

Guest bkelm18
It’s only a misdemeanor in Illinois also. But if that turns out to be cocaine, in Illinois drugs and guns is a Class X (highest level) felony. 6-30 years with no probation available. I wonder if NY has something like that?

Good question. I did read in one of the articles she's facing minimum 3 and a half year prison term if convicted on the gun charge, likely more if the powder turns out to be illicit.

My personal belief is that anyone 18 years of age that hasn't had their rights removed or restricted by a court should be able to carry a firearm anywhere in the country.

That said, as the laws are now, I think any responsiable gun owner should know the laws of their state and any state they travel to. There are several resources for this information.

Steve Fall

Parsons, TN

Permission to print.

This is just one of the MANY things that should be covered in a basic handgun carry permit class that isn't.

Even if the women was not bright enough to know you cannot carry a gun in NYC, you would think someone around her would have enlightened her. That reason alone is why I will never visit there. My wife wants to go. But I'll be damned if I would wander through unarmed.

This issue was covered fully in my class. We even received a print out list of states that recognize a TN HCP. We were also provided with the proper websites to double-check for any updates. I keep that list in my gun bag.

Now, on the other hand, I have been in NYC dozens of times, and from my experience, the police are usually helpful and help out tourists when they need it. On the other hand, If you give a NYC cop a hard time, expect to get a hard time back. It would be interesting to know if she was "cool" with the police, or if she turned in to the Wicked Witch of the South.

Yep, even repeated convictions for unlawful carry remain misdemeanors. And don't even prevent you from later getting an HCP if you grow tired of being busted.

- OS

2nd Amendment arguments aside, it seems that all HCP holders here agree that it was the womans responsibity to know the laws of the states she travels in. Ignorance of the law is no excuse I have heard. That said I have no desire to visit NYC or Chicago but for some reason I have to, i'll leave my firearms at home. Every instructor who teaches a carry class should at least direct their students to information or websites concerning gun laws and reciprocity agreements between the states. Here's two good websites current on gun laws of each state.

Handgunlaw.us

Homeland Security works best with legally armed citizens

Legally armed will advise you as to what state has a reciprocity agreement or honors Tennessee permits.

be careful folks, an al tennjazeera writer on this forum is not a good thing

??? In what I have seen Brian has always been fair and objective in his writing ???