Electronic Ear Muffs, Recomendations

So I had to return a Christmas gift from the in-laws and ended up with about $130 Bass Pro gift card. so in my search for what to buy I have considered electronic ear muffs. There are such a wide range of opinions on these its hard to narrow down. Im limited to the onese carried by Bass Pro either online or in-store.

In-Store options

Walker

Walker Quad

Primos Boost Analog (New) - look good but not many review out yet

On-line options

Hearing & Eye Protection - Hunting & Shooting | Bass Pro Shops

or are they a waste of money all around. if so I may buy some binoculars Thanks for any help

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitley not a waste if you shoot around other people. It's nice to be able to carry on a conversation, hear range commands, etc. I've worn out a pair of ProEars Dimension1s. Pricey but they only cut out the gunfire and let you hear just about everything else; they have a very fast reset time. I've also got a set of the $30 Caldwell electronic muffs. They have a noticable lag in reset but do work for general shooting. The quality of construction isn't as nice either.

Frankly I prefer the peltor 970709 combat ear plugs

Works just as well as muffs and lets you get a decent cheekweld

Plus cost $10 at amazon

Plugs are definitely nice in hot weather.

Note that if you are around big boomers the concussion can actually transmit through bone and cause damage; muffs help defend against this unlike plugs.

I honestly like the $25 set of electronic muffs from Walmart. I was sceptical at first but they work really well. They're not low profile however so those Caldwells listed above might be just the ticket for you. I can't use plugs due to some ear canal issues so I'm a muff only man. Sorry couldn't resist! :D

I've thought about these electronic muffs but decided ear plugs with muffs suit me just as well. I've been in a noisy work environment most my life so I'm rather sensitive.

Something I just bought from BassPro was a soft shell wind stopper jacket that they have in the boating/rain gear section. It's called a 100mph Windstopper liner $120.00. If you have a use for this I recommend it, I tested it yesterday on my motorcycle. Super.

Say Hey...

I purchased a pair of Peltor 7S electronic hearing protectors, CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

I've owned them about a year now and they have worked great. They take a 9v. battery that lasts about 24 hours of continuous use. I only bought them to hear range commands shooting IDPA. If memory serves, I paid about $125.00 for them.

For normal shooting I use the regular Peltor ear muffs or the foam plugs. Ear muffs get in the way on the stock of rifles and shotguns for me most of the time.

Your milage may vary. Just my 3 cents worf...

Thanks for the replies. Mike the review look good for the Imapact Sports. I may spend my bass pro money on something esle and look at getting those.

I have a pair of Peltor SportTac ($150 when I got 'em) and a pair of Caldwell E-MAX ($18 on sale at Midway) muffs. I can tell a big difference in quality and performance, but I'm not sure they're worth 8X the price.

On a casual day at the range, the Caldwells are plenty good enough. If you spend a lot of time at matches and in classes, then the Peltors are worth the money. Otherwise, I like your idea of saving bucks on "good enough" muffs and spend the gift card on something else.

Guest Lester Weevils
Noisebusters ... Use them for work and for play. 60 hour battery life.

Reading the company webpage, those Noisebusters look great. From the web description, it doesn't look like they have a "sound amplifying" feature when the sound level is low? Is that so? Or maybe they have the sound-amplifying feature but do not list it in the product description?

Looks like Noisebusters would be great in a constantly-noisy industrial environment, but a shame if they don't also amplify sound when nobody is shooting? It is real useful to easily hear somebody yell "cold range" from the far end of the line. Easily hearing between shots is the biggest feature I like in electronic shooting muffs.

Howard Leight impacts! Got these for xmas from Primaryarms.com on sale... best muffs for the price!

I've had the Howard Leight Impact Sport model for maybe three years. The Impact Sport is fairly slim, decently comfortable, works great, hasn't broken yet. Been pleased.

The Impact Sport is the only electronic muffs I've owned except some shoddy monophonic $15 Harbor Freight electronic muffs.

Maybe the more expensive brands of shooting muffs are lots better than the Howard Leight, but have been satisfied with the Impact Sports.

The green colored Impact Sport seems to sell in the ballpark of $50 at many places. Web-searching, noticed that Howard Leight also sells a more-expensive Impact (as opposed to Impact Sport), which is a fat yellow set of muffs which Grainger sells around $150. They don't look as good for shooting compared to the cheaper Impact Sport, if for no other reason because they are so fat. Maybe the more expensive fat yellow ones would be better in daily use for construction or industrial work? Dunno. The specs between the two models are similar but not identical.

Definitley not a waste if you shoot around other people. It's nice to be able to carry on a conversation, hear range commands, etc. I've worn out a pair of ProEars Dimension1s. Pricey but they only cut out the gunfire and let you hear just about everything else; they have a very fast reset time. I've also got a set of the $30 Caldwell electronic muffs. They have a noticable lag in reset but do work for general shooting. The quality of construction isn't as nice either.

^What Dave says... I have the Peltor 7S electronics and they work great for IDPA and trap. I get about 24 hours of battery life. One draw back is when it's breezy / windy, they will cut out a great deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't get the Peltor muffs.

I'm issued them at work (all firearms instructors get a pair) and I'm lucky if they last 6 months. Yet, they keep replacing them with the same brand.

I've tried a cheapy pair (I think the same ones at Walmart as referenced above) and, while they're a little clunkier, they're lasting a lot longer.