Lost form 4

Guest crotalus01

Guest crotalus01

What to do? Long story short, I keep all my Form 4s in the same secure location, but it seems one of them has gone missing, along with the copies (kept in a seperate location). Complete mystery to me as to HOW, but thats the gist of my issue. Any ideas as to how to proceed on this? The missing F4 is for a can that I have only used once (MG can) and never goes out in public, but I still want to know how to get a replacement. I have a 5320.20 with the can on it if that matters...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are required to notify the ATF immediately and tell them what happened. You can call them and tell them what happened, but you'll probably have to submit a written request. I don't think you get another stamp but a certified copy.

Edited by sigbrown1297
Guest crotalus01

Thanks guys. I am pretty pissed (at myself mostly). I just have no idea what could have happened to it as all my other F4s are right there where they are supposed to be (and the copies are there as well in a separate location). Just really weird that the original AND the copies are missing for this one can....Hell, its not even a can anyone would want! Thats why its only been used once....

A R-D said above, just contact NFA Branch. There is a very slight danger that they will not have THEIR original. In that case, you now have no proof that it is legal. Many times when this happens, if you can show them some other proof that it is a legal suppressor (sales receipt, dealers records, etc), then they will re-create the original Form4. Most of the time when the NFA Registry is screwed up, it is with NFA items that were added to the Registry prior to the 1990's. Before then, ATF didn't have electronic records, so if the paper was lost, destroyed, or mis-placed, you could be in trouble. There has been evidence that a disgruntled employee at one time destroyed some records.

FYI, I keep the originals in the safe, a copy in the container with the NFA item, another copy in the file cabinet, and another copy with copies of other critical papers in my bother's safe. I also keep another copy in my briefcase of every NFA Item I have with me when I'm travelling (Knob Creek, shoots, etc). I'll gladly kill a tree to keep my valuables safe.