The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

I had a bottle of the Dickel in my hand yesterday and couldn't decide, so I put it back.  How is it??

I think it's typically the best value on the shelf. It's one of the "always have" bottles for me. It's really good. I think it was $39 at Red Dog. Well worth it
  • Like 3
I had a bottle of the Dickel in my hand yesterday and couldn't decide, so I put it back.  How is it??

It's pretty good stuff. For those that don't care for the "vitamin" flavor sometimes found in Dickel No12, the Barrel Select doesn't really have any of it, so they should give it a try. It is an extremely smooth bourbon. I can find it for $36 in some shops in the Memphis area. It's definitely worth it at around that price.
  • Like 1

I am still on my Larceny kick, however to ensure that I am not missing something and falling into a rut, I have tried to mix it up.

As I am a new drinker, at a mature age, I learned a valuable lesson that most probably learned at a very young age, cheap is cheap. There is no such thing as good cheap bourbon. I now aim at a minimum of $15 a fifth. I prefer a fifth and I am not invested in a new taste. 

Last week was Jim Beam Black at the suggestion of the store clerk. I like it, it was smooth, but lacked the body and taste I prefer in Larceny.

This week it is Old Grand Dad. It has a nice bite, but I think it has a higher heat? than I like. I suspect that is the high rye?

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Murgatroy said:

I now aim at a minimum of $15 a fifth. I prefer a fifth and I am not invested in a new taste. 

You can pick up Maker's 46 (from the folks at Maker's Mark) in a fifth.  You should try that next if you haven't already.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Murgatroy said:

I am still on my Larceny kick, however to ensure that I am not missing something and falling into a rut, I have tried to mix it up.

As I am a new drinker, at a mature age, I learned a valuable lesson that most probably learned at a very young age, cheap is cheap. There is no such thing as good cheap bourbon. I now aim at a minimum of $15 a fifth. I prefer a fifth and I am not invested in a new taste. 

Last week was Jim Beam Black at the suggestion of the store clerk. I like it, it was smooth, but lacked the body and taste I prefer in Larceny.

This week it is Old Grand Dad. It has a nice bite, but I think it has a higher heat? than I like. I suspect that is the high rye?

Actually that may not be entirely true. If you think $30.00 is reasonable for a bottle give Coopers a try. It's a Brown-Foreman product. Well worth a try.

• Like 1

Lots of good choices at $30 and under. Some of my favorites are Evan Williams Single Barrel, Henry McKenna Single Barrel Bottled in Bond and Elijah Craig Small Batch. If you want to try other wheated bourbons, then Weller Special Reserve, Old Weller Antique 107 and Makers Mark are good choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I'm sure many have already heard, but in case you haven't, and you are a Booker's fan, you better buy while you can. According to Beam/Suntory, they are increasing the MSRP to $100 at the first of the year and reducing the number of annual releases from 6 to 4. I think that is a huge mistake on Beam's part, but I'm also suspicious whether or not this is just a ploy to clear the shelves of the current sitting inventory and then change their mind to just a slight increase in price. I know I'm not a buyer at $100...too many other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at a bottle of this the other day, but picked up a few more bottles of Booker's before the upcoming huge price increase. I'll have to consider picking up a bottle of the John J Bowman single barrel the next time I see it.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, LCPfraTN said:

I was looking at a bottle of this the other day, but picked up a few more bottles of Booker's before the upcoming huge price increase. I'll have to consider picking up a bottle of the John J Bowman single barrel the next time I see it.

It' Sazerac juice.

Ran into a friend of mine at the TSC the other day, he has started his own business making whiskey. I stopped by the liquor store on the way home and picked up a bottle of his whiskey. Looking forward to having a sip. Maybe for New Years?

20161226_112150_zpsuuykisml.jpg 20161226_112322_zpskdcsq9oy.jpg

• Like 2