The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

So I am having trouble getting my lovely wife to understand the concept of a whiskey library...
I brought home a bottle of Angel's Envy the other day, and she wanted to know why I bought it, when I already had six other bottles in the cabinet.

I ask you, is this too much?

booze_library-1120200.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bob T said:

So I am having trouble getting my lovely wife to understand the concept of a whiskey library...
I brought home a bottle of Angel's Envy the other day, and she wanted to know why I bought it, when I already had six other bottles in the cabinet.

Of course it's not, I have more, and wager most regular posters in this thread have more as well.  But with that said, good luck convincing your wife, if you figure out a way please share it with me

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bob T said:

Too much?  :confused:    :shrug:   :screwy:

Did you ask her why she needs 12 bottles of wine or 37 pairs of shoes?  And if you did, how fast did you have to duck?   :)

Honestly, I only have 1 or 2 bottles at a time unless I've happened across a really good deal.  Between the beer, wine, vodka, rum, and various chocolaty/fruity stuff she likes, I don't have room for a proper "library".  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, peejman said:

Too much?  :confused:    :shrug:   :screwy:

Did you ask her why she needs 12 bottles of wine or 37 pairs of shoes?  And if you did, how fast did you have to duck?   :)

Honestly, I only have 1 or 2 bottles at a time unless I've happened across a really good deal.  Between the beer, wine, vodka, rum, and various chocolaty/fruity stuff she likes, I don't have room for a proper "library".  

Dang, I've got hundreds of bottles. All home made and better than any store bought wine I've ever bought. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, dralarms said:

Dang, I've got hundreds of bottles. All home made and better than any store bought wine I've ever bought. 

I wish I had time to get into home brewing/distilling. I think I'd make a really good drunk. :) 

3 minutes ago, peejman said:

I wish I had time to get into home brewing/distilling. I think I'd make a really good drunk. :) 

Well brewing and making wine is ok, but distilling is against the law. If you want to get into wine making I could give you some pointers. 

No, I've actually bought more than that in one purchase many times, but the wife still doesn't understand and never will. My larger purchases are usually for really good store picks or for favorites that are being phased out, such as age stated products that are losing their age statement...Elijah Craig 12 year that now has no age statement to name one of many.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I'll add one addition to my comment above. If money is tight or you have other goals for the funds, I understand if the wife doesn't understand the purchases. In many cases though, our wives are not fans of the brown spirits, and don't understand why we need so many kinds, especially if they are happy with just about any clear spirits with sweetener of some kind added. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bob T said:

Heard that question many times...

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, LCPfraTN said:

I'll add one addition to my comment above. If money is tight or you have other goals for the funds, I understand if the wife doesn't understand the purchases. In many cases though, our wives are not fans of the brown spirits, and don't understand why we need so many kinds, especially if they are happy with just about any clear spirits with sweetener of some kind added. emoji6.png

So true, all the whiskies taste the same to my wife...bad. But a big bottle of vodka, some Sprite Zero, and a lime, and she is good to go.
(She does appreciate good craft beers, though)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Picked up my second bottle of Buffalo Trace, which I like. And my second bottle of Blanton's, which I love. The Woodford Reserve double oak, I have not tried yet.

blantons-1120330.jpg

Edited by Bob T
  • Like 2
Elijah Craig 12 and 18 (you owe it to yourself to try the 18)
Bookers (now my fav over Elijah)
And eagle rare.
Are my suggestions.

You won't be able to find the 18 for a few more years. I think I went through 6, and couldn't find it anymore. Was told we have to wait. By far my top of list

You won't be able to find the 18 for a few more years. I think I went through 6, and couldn't find it anymore. Was told we have to wait. By far my top of list

You can find it if you want to take a trip up to Bardstown, KY and visit Heaven Hill. After you go on the tour, they will sell you a bottle for $199 in the gift shop.

I don't think you'll ever see EC18 for $70-$80 again...or at least for a long time. The Heaven Hill gift shop price is intentionally high so as not to compete with local liquor stores and to discourage flippers. I think the actual suggested retail price these days is around $139, which is still high.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2017 at 8:10 PM, Whistle4Fly said:

These are some of my scores from my travels this week.  I always pick up extras in case anyone would like to purchase. 

IMG_3891.JPG

Where did you have to go to find those?

• Like 1
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, Whistle4Fly said:

I found these in some of the bowels of the CSRA region of SC/GA. :)

I think it's ironic that we can buy smokes and booze in other states and bring them right back home, but can't do the same with the OTHER things that the BATFE regulates.

"Freedom"

• Like 4