The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

I just put Russell's on my "to try" list. Thanks.

Tried some WhistlePig at our anniversary dinner a couple weeks ago. Never had rye before, but I picked up a bottle right after, plus a couple other rye selections. 

38232506552_21588198ca_c.jpg

Some good ryes there. You might also want to add Pikesville Rye to your list. A good premium rye without the premium price. For a budget rye, give Dickel Rye a shot. For very little money, it's one of my budget friendly favorites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2
On 11/8/2017 at 8:21 AM, LCPfraTN said:

Some good ryes there. You might also want to add Pikesville Rye to your list. A good premium rye without the premium price. For a budget rye, give Dickel Rye a shot. For very little money, it's one of my budget friendly favorites.

Pikesville is definitely worth picking up and priced about right. Tried it at Heaven Hill and went out looking for some around town the next day. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Need some advice. So, I don't know bourbons as I am not fond of them. My fleet manager does drink them. I'm looking for a higher end, $100-200 a fifth bourbon as a Christmas gift for him. What should I get him?

Im going to suggest Blantons, Willets Reserve, Woodford Reserve double oak, or Noahs Mill. all should be under $100.00 for a 750ml. for me all of these are quite nice. spending more doesnt mean its better...

Need some advice. So, I don't know bourbons as I am not fond of them. My fleet manager does drink them. I'm looking for a higher end, $100-200 a fifth bourbon as a Christmas gift for him. What should I get him?

For a nice Christmas Gift, I'd consider a Wild Turkey Master's Keep 17 year or Decades. They come in a beautiful presentation box and the bottle is very well done with a flying turkey molded/etched into the glass, and it's pretty good bourbon too. They generally sell for $150, and they can actually be found on many store shelves.

5 hours ago, LCPfraTN said:

For a nice Christmas Gift, I'd consider a Wild Turkey Master's Keep 17 year or Decades. They come in a beautiful presentation box and the bottle is very well done with a flying turkey molded/etched into the glass, and it's pretty good bourbon too. They generally sell for $150, and they can actually be found on many store shelves.

Was going to respond exactly this. Get ourself the Wild Turkey Decades, should be about $150 +/- $10. Beautiful bottle, great presentation and the bourbon is absolutely exceptional. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Any way to find out what he drinks now?  

12 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Whistle Pig 12 Year Old World would be nice and should be easily available.  $115-ish.  

whistlepig-old-word-12YO.jpg

• Like 1
On 11/17/2017 at 11:03 AM, Lumber_Jack said:

Whistle Pig 12 Year Old World would be nice and should be easily available.  $115-ish.  

I was visiting Mike (a long while back) in Knoxville and I was buying quite a few bottles. This elderly (to the point I wouldn't think she drank) comes up behind me and points out Whistlepig and says, if you like the brown water, you will love this. I laughed and thanked her. I ended up buying 10 and 12 year. Monkey has loved both to the point that I have restocked them. I still can't do it, I am mostly the beer person of the house. But Wistlepig is a huge hit in this house for him and company we have.

• Like 1
On 11/16/2017 at 10:03 PM, Chucktshoes said:

I agree with what everyone said. I also have found that when I buy Jefferson, that is a huge hit too. Monkey really liked Jefferson Ocean and that is usually just under $100.00.

On 1/30/2014 at 10:01 AM, RC3 said:

Man, there are so many different makers of whiskey and bourbon here that makes my taste for Jack Daniel seem unrefined.

Alas, the necro-post... but applicable.

Being the two-drinks-then-fall-asleep type of drinker that I am, a wide spectrum of worthy brands would be wasted on me. Being a follower of black labels since a lad (MGD for beer), JD has always been quite agreeable to me. The introduction of Gentleman Jack was through a wise old friend who gifted me a set: GJ in an octagonal 750 ml bottle, a cigar cutter, and a (I think) Macanudo #4 Primo, all in the one cylindrical  container.  

Presently, in the liquor aisle  for GJ, is this:

gentleman_jack_front_image_engrave_97995

I'll be getting one when I move out to TN. Presently I am working on  a 750 black label Jack, slowly and surely.

When I get established, there will be a get together of some of the closer assembled, and Mr. Motlow's fine concoction will be pride of place at the bar.

• 1 month later...

Picked up another bottle today. Whiskey Advocate whiskey if the year 2017. Quite tasty. Barrel strength it’s pretty hot at 131 but it’s surprisingly drinkable neat. It opens up nicely proofed down towards 100. I’ll update more on the next tasting. 016ac4a7b5a8185e2f6041e526db9d30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Lumber_Jack said:

Picked up another bottle today. Whiskey Advocate whiskey if the year 2017. Quite tasty. Barrel strength it’s pretty hot at 131 but it’s surprisingly drinkable neat. It opens up nicely proofed down towards 100. I’ll update more on the next tasting. 016ac4a7b5a8185e2f6041e526db9d30.jpg

Haven't seen barrel proof. Their small batch is my favorite.  

It's been one of my favorite bourbons for several years. If I find one on the shelf for $65 or less, I'm usually a buyer. I've seen more this past year than in prior years, but some of it has been significantly overpriced.

It's been one of my favorite bourbons for several years. If I find one on the shelf for $65 or less, I'm usually a buyer. I've seen more this past year than in prior years, but some of it has been significantly overpriced.

Yeah it’s actually getting sold on the secondary markets for $80-$100 but I found this one at the store near my house. Was $68 so I debated a bit but decided it’d be worth the few extra dollars. I only did a quick initial 1/2oz taste. Looking forward to exploring in more.