The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

It seems that several TGO'ers have a taste for glass of good whiskey. I thought it might be a good idea to share what we find.

TGO David recommended Jefferson Reserve VSB to me. I keep a bottle in the cabinet.

Today I picked up a bottle of Elmer T Lee single barrel.

90 proof, 14 years old. This one starts out with a big hit of apricot and finishes with vanilla and spice.

• Administrator

I've got a few new ones you guys need to try, but the one I want to recommend tonight is Prichard's Double Chocolate Bourbon using Prichard's bourbon and Olive & Sinclair chocolate. Absolutely amazing. My wife spotted it on the shelf at one of our local stores and suggested we pick it up. Good call. :)

1324532387-double_chocolate_opt.jpg

One I got to enjoy recently and will keep in my cabinet, sweet and deep on the front with some wonderful rye spice on the finish. I could not find a picture of the XO wich was phenominal also.

unnamed.jpg

If you can save up the cash, any of these are amazing...

buffalo-trace-antique-collection.jpg

I have the George T Stagg (My Favorite), the William Larue Weller, and the Thomas H Handy Sazerac. All between 125 and 145 proof, and roughly $80-95 per bottle.

• Administrator
Has anyone tried this yet? I about picked up a bottle last week but decided to wait and see what people are saying about it.

angels-envy.jpg

Yes, that is one of the others I was going to recommend you guys try but I was pacing myself with the recommendations. It's excellent. Worth the purchase.

I'm not a whiskey guy so my tastes aren't as refined in that area as they are in beer. I'm trying to change that though. I've heard good things about Maker's 46 so it's on my list since I do drink Maker's Mark regularly.Angel's Envy has also been on there since I heard some pretty good things about it. I also just picked up a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel from Midtown. I don't know if it's any different than the regular stuff but the bottle is a little cooler. I know, I know. That doesn't count for anything.

I'm not a whiskey guy so my tastes aren't as refined in that area as they are in beer. I'm trying to change that though. I've heard good things about Maker's 46 so it's on my list since I do drink Maker's Mark regularly.Angel's Envy has also been on there since I heard some pretty good things about it. I also just picked up a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel from Midtown. I don't know if it's any different than the regular stuff but the bottle is a little cooler. I know, I know. That doesn't count for anything.

Do try the 46. You won't be disappointed.

• Like 1
Guest Shootermcgavin

I agree with the above (and not because I'm a makers ambassador) but I would also recommend you guys try Colorado whiskey before the new owners and master distiller change the taste. I have found it a couple of stores around Knoxville and for $50-$60 it is reasonable. a6890dfe-1aac-7fd8.jpg

Has anyone tried this yet? I about picked up a bottle last week but decided to wait and see what people are saying about it.

angels-envy.jpg

I have tried it, I was unimpressed. Definitely not worth $50.

My usual these days is Four Roses Single Barrel. I got a bottle of 12yo Ezra Brooks Single Barrel a while back, that's good stuff too.

hey, slip me a snort of that Blue. I figured I better make an appearance since y'all were having a whole discussion about my finer points. :)

JW Blue is one of my favorites. Aside from scotch, I like most of the popular top shelf bourbons. Woodford Reserve is a usual. I grew up near Tullahoma, so George Dickel has a permanent place in my bar.

I'll have to try some of these others...