7.62x39 AR Platform

DannyP

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also been interested in a 7.62X39 build. Most of this has seemed to be plagued by magazine issues. My understanding is ASC magazines have solve this issue. In the beginning it was the bolt which was resolved sometime back. Armalite, Yankee Hill and Olympic and BCM are or have offered rifles or uppers in this round. Bushmaster, DPMS have for a long time. My issue is the price. There are some getting into the 7.62X51 realm of pricing.

I still wanting to do one, just waiting on a good deal on a upper. It is on the back burner due to other projects. BTW I have a few AK's already and a AR15 in 5.45X39 Russian.

If you want to do some reading go to M4Carbine.net. AR15.com has a lot on it if you can sift through the BS.

Edited by R1100R
Guest bkelm18
300 Blackout

Yes... $0.18 per round (7.62x39) versus $1 per round (Blackout). :) If you're not a reloader you better be rich.

Edited by bkelm18

For the life of me, I can't figure out why so much bad information is still taken as law on the internet about 7.62x39 AR-15's. It is like the platform never evolved past Colt and Frankenmags back in the 90's.

Anyway, I built a 7.62x39mm piston AR from the cheapest parts I could find and it runs 100% suppressed, with Wolf, Brown/Silver Bear and Yugo surplus. All parts use were standard AR parts except the piston, bolt carrier, enhanced firing pin and 7.62x39 bolt. The only mod neccessary is filing deeper than standard receiver feedramp cuts.

100_2561.jpg

ASC and C-products make magazines now and can be made reliable.

And don't get me started on the other site mentioned above. Those guys keep regurgitating last decades problems with the 7.62x39 AR problems despite members with WORKING AR's proving otherwise. The level of ignorance and mis-information that gets touted over there really ticks me off.

Edited by LA_357SIG
LA did you do the feed ramp work or have someone else do it? I have an AR

Although I hate to admit it, I did it with a round file, didn't clean it up at all, test shot it, forgot to clean it up (smooth and polished), kept shooting and over a year and 4,000 rounds later, I haven't had any failures to feed.

1301784953.jpg

..... In 7.62x39 and every now and again I have feeding issues the round will jamb into the feed ramp. I thought to problem was the C products mag but after reading your comment about the feed ramp I bet thats my issue. I have a J&T / Doublestar.

If you have 30 round C-Products or ASC magazines, take the spring out and make sure the front of the follower is tilted up. Both companies send out more improperly installed springs than the right way.