AK Price Question

gjohnsoniv

I'm in a similar boat and most signs point to Arsenal's AKs. However, I can't decide on the 7.62 or the 5.45! I would probably be doing some hog hunting, but mostly just plinking. Those of you that have a SLG-21 and a SLG-31, which do you prefer?

EDIT: Should have read 2 post above me before I posted this but yeah what The Dude said

My 31 appears to be a little more accurate and the ammo is cheaper for it than my 21,that being said the 5x45 tend to key hole like a 5.56 will in brush where the 7.62 typically eats right through the obstacles.

This guy does a pretty good review over both rifles you might want to check them out,in the end I bought 2 SGL-21's and a SGL-31.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkYFlihPNS8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0hatbAtwZk&feature=relmfu

Edited by ~48_South~
Guest The Dude
Where do you normally shoot? I'll see if I can't take a day off next time I'm in town and take a look at it.

i shoot up in walland. its on a buddy of mines land. i shoot at 60 and 102 yds down into a holler. its not terribly far depending upon what portion of knoxville your at. just let me know.

Guest Revelator

I don't know why, but the little Hungarian AMD never gets mentioned in the good AK knockoffs category. I actually think it's a better buy than the Saiga. Centerfire has them currently for $419, and Bud's had them for a while at $414 free shipping but they're out right now.

A cheekpiece stock adapter for the wire stock makes shooting it very comfortable. While the AMD is more of a parts gun than a Saiga, you don't have to do a conversion with the AMD, it already has a handguard bracket installed, and cheap surplus magazines don't need a bullet guide. Theoretically Saigas are great, but I don't like having to buy and install all that extra stuff to convert it from hunting rifle to AK knockoff.

Lots of cheap, solid 30-round mags out there for the AMD, but what that nasty little girl really likes are the 20-rounders. I'll pit my AMD against anyone's Arsenal or Saiga.

Guest The Dude
I don't know why, but the little Hungarian AMD never gets mentioned in the good AK knockoffs category. I actually think it's a better buy than the Saiga. Centerfire has them currently for $419, and Bud's had them for a while at $414 free shipping but they're out right now.

A cheekpiece stock adapter for the wire stock makes shooting it very comfortable. While the AMD is more of a parts gun than a Saiga, you don't have to do a conversion with the AMD, it already has a handguard bracket installed, and cheap surplus magazines don't need a bullet guide. Theoretically Saigas are great, but I don't like having to buy and install all that extra stuff to convert it from hunting rifle to AK knockoff.

Lots of cheap, solid 30-round mags out there for the AMD, but what that nasty little girl really likes are the 20-rounders. I'll pit my AMD against anyone's Arsenal or Saiga.

amd's are'nt bad. neither are vz 58's. im member at the saiga 12 forum as well and there are a lot of guys there that run their conversions without a bullet guide. it just depends on the gun. many of them run milsurp mags with out them ok. others need them.

you are correct on adding extras for handguards and fsb's on saigas if you want an authentic look. alot of guys just modify the stock forearm and many look pretty damn nice.

does yours have the feg reciever?

some folks have had issues with their amd's but any gun can have problems. my biggest turn off was the wire folding stock. its not something i look for. same with a tantal. i like the full triangles myself, if i get a folder anyway.

the amd's should use standard ak mags.

Including the older ones? Guess the 700 this guy was asking is way out of the park. I've never owned or bought an Ak so honestly have no idea as to what to look for.

There has never been an AK made worth $700….. Unless it had a new $400 scope mounted to it. :leaving:

• Like 1
There has never been an AK made worth $700….. Unless it had a new $400 scope mounted to it. :D

You know I would put a $700 or $850 AK in my hands if i knew it was professionally built and top quality..oh yeah I did already! LMAO my Arsenal AK out shoots my AR which is a top tier all day long and for that it's worth it to me :)

Guest Revelator
amd's are'nt bad. neither are vz 58's. im member at the saiga 12 forum as well and there are a lot of guys there that run their conversions without a bullet guide. it just depends on the gun. many of them run milsurp mags with out them ok. others need them.

you are correct on adding extras for handguards and fsb's on saigas if you want an authentic look. alot of guys just modify the stock forearm and many look pretty damn nice.

does yours have the feg reciever?

some folks have had issues with their amd's but any gun can have problems. my biggest turn off was the wire folding stock. its not something i look for. same with a tantal. i like the full triangles myself, if i get a folder anyway.

the amd's should use standard ak mags.

Yeah mine's an FEG receiver. Imported by TGI in Knoxtown. Those wire cheek risers actually make the wire stock pretty close to a triangle folding stock. It's got a rubber tube running across the top. Real comfortable. It takes the steel AK mags, though some of them I had to file down a little.

Edited by P. Stegall
Guest The Dude
You know I would put a $700 or $850 AK in my hands if i knew it was professionally built and top quality..oh yeah I did already! LMAO my Arsenal AK out shoots my AR which is a top tier all day long and for that it's worth it to me :D

what makes me laugh are the guys that claim thier pencil barrel AR's will shoot sub-moa with ball ammo. ive seen my arsenal AK in 5.45 out shoot a few AR's that my friends own. sadly, people underestimate the 5.45 round and/or the potential of a well built one. and thats their problem.

Guest The Dude
Have any of you built your own AK? How involved of a process is that for someone who has never built one? I'm good with metal and machining for the most part, but never have built anything other than Ar's.

im usually leary of parts kits. most have been de-activated for a reason, though stil in shootable condition when properly assembled. id get a new barrel if it were me. its not really that hard if you have the proper tools, and the know how. biggest thing would be getting the weapon headspaced correctly.

conversions are much easier. the bulk of the work is done at the factory, and its up to you to relocate the fcg in the proper location, and/or do the other mods as deemed necessary. this is the method i would tell folks to do first to get them familiar with the AK platform.

Guest The Dude
That's awesome and I know they do. Funny thing is mine is 7.62x39 and it's accuracy is amazing! And people say AK's aren't accurate.

i know it. they are much more accurate than they get credit for. i usually tell folks that make the accuracy claims to go stand by the big oak tree and we'll see how accurate it really is. if it sucks like they claim, then they have no worries..:D

my next one will be in 7.62. theres a reason they are used in every location in the world. they just work.

Check the SBR thread on here. Cant win over there lol. What it comes down to is some guys don't wanna admit the AK47 is like a 1911 as far as heritage but I think the AK is more dependable on that scale. It's an old design that just works. I am not hung up on buying only American. I want quality and dependability no matter if it's American, Russian, or Nigerian :D Alot of guys out there are just stuck on AR's and that's fine but the world doesn't use AK's because everyone is third world or because of mass production, I wish people would just admit its a Commie rifle which pretty much always works. End of rant. And yes I own an AR as well. Oh and I carry a Austrian designed Glock 23 because it just works. There we go, the AR is like a 1911 and the AK is the the Glock. HaHa I'm gonna get it for that!!

Edited by k9wh91984
Check the SBR thread on here. Cant win over there lol. What it comes down to is some guys don't wanna admit the AK47 is like a 1911 as far as heritage but I think the AK is more dependable on that scale. It's an old design that just works. I am not hung up on buying only American. I want quality and dependability no matter if it's American, Russian, or Nigerian :) Alot of guys out there are just stuck on AR's and that's fine but the world doesn't use AK's because everyone is third world or because of mass production, I wish people would just admit its a Commie rifle which pretty much always works. End of rant. And yes I own an AR as well. Oh and I carry a Austrian designed Glock 23 because it just works. There we go, the AR is like a 1911 and the AK is the the Glock. HaHa I'm gonna get it for that!!

Good to see you can be equally oaken in your standpoint but remain unaggressive. So many people cannot do that. That makes for a genuinely fun mud slinging contest. Neither side will ever win, so why run your blood pressure up, get personal and vulgar? High five k9.

For what it's worth, I was an AK nut for many years. I was heavily invested. Then I actually put a GOOD AR through it's paces. I felt like "Baby, where you been all me life?" :)

They are more comfortable and lighter on average even if they do sacrifice some structural integrity for it. I wouldn't wanna get in a clubbing match with my AR like I would have with the Yugo M70B1 I used to have. Also, mounting a scope is much easier for us AR guys. Yes I know you can do it to, but you gotta admit, it ain't as easy and quality options aren't as plentiful.

BUT, the number one reason I got out of AK's was ammo. The run of the mill 7,62x39 SUCKS. You know it's truth. Options for .223 ammo are MUCH better in quality than 7,62x39. Not just factory loadings but reloading for an AK is dark lonely path to trod. I don't understand that either. As prolific as the AK is, there should be mountains of brass and fields full of top quality bullets to choose from.

It's also undeniable that the major contributing factor to the claims of the AK's inaccuracy are ammo related. AK or AR, if you feed it that steel cased russian crap and expect subMOA accuracy, you WILL be severely disappointed.

I like giving good folks a hard time, but the SHTF and I lost all my AR's/ammo, I'd go with an AK and not be upset about it. Now, the 1911 you mention, I wouldn't give you a red penny for every single one ever made and I am seriously offended you make comparison between a great fighting platform such as the AR and that antiquated boat anchor......:shrug:;)

:lol:

I agree with Caster, great to see a good argument without someone being offended. Personally if I had the money I would have a SBR AR and a Krink, just saying... I love my AR and have gotten very used to it but you can't deny that the AK works and has worked. If I were to go parts kit I would definitely get a new barrel. How do you headspace it though when you press it in? Do you just keep slowly pressing it in until it is correct or measure then press to that dimension?

Well, headspacing a new barrel is easier than an old barrel. On a new barrel ^ you're right. You press it in until it's right, then drill for the dowel pin. I;ve had to MOVE that pin location on a used barrel once to get headspace right. I'll never do that crap again.